Nurse cert or EMT cert?

SeanLon11

Forum Ride Along
I am looking for more medical training than just a CPR course for many reasons: TEOTWAWKI, hiking emergencies, something new, etc.

I also want to achieve some type of certification because with a cert, I know I will apply myself due to the financial and pride investment.

So which is the best bang for my buck, nurse or EMT?

I already have a career and a degree (computer science), and a steady job (thank God). So I am no looking to make this a career.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Well, if you just want something for hiking emergencies, why not just take a Wilderness First Aid class?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am looking for more medical training than just a CPR course for many reasons: TEOTWAWKI, hiking emergencies, something new, etc.

I also want to achieve some type of certification because with a cert, I know I will apply myself due to the financial and pride investment.

So which is the best bang for my buck, nurse or EMT?

I already have a career and a degree (computer science), and a steady job (thank God). So I am no looking to make this a career.

Well an EMT course takes one semester and a BSN is a 2/4 year program. So if your not looking for a career i would do the EMT.

OP
OP
S

SeanLon11

Forum Ride Along
Well, if you just want something for hiking emergencies, why not just take a Wilderness First Aid class?

2 reasons:

1) there is no certification (except the WEMT, which I may pursue)

2). The wilderness ones in my area are not nearly as in-depth as I desire

2).

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Since all of US EMS revolves around "go to the hospital" I am not sure it is going to be what you are looking for.

Nursing is quite a financial and time commitment "just for fun" but if being able to take care of somebody is what you want it will definately be that.

If you are looking for something cheap for your own enrichment, probably a first aid course would be the best use of time/money.

Personally I don't advocate for hobbyists. I would not want to be taken care of by an EMT doing it just for fun, a paramedic just for fun, a nurse just for fun, or a doctor just for fun.

Would you?

OP
OP
S

SeanLon11

Forum Ride Along
Personally I don't advocate for hobbyists. I would not want to be taken care of by an EMT doing it just for fun, a paramedic just for fun, a nurse just for fun, or a doctor just for fun.

Would you?

Nope, hence why it is not a career move. Nor do I plan to ride in an ambulance. However, if the **** hits the fan in society, I would like some basic knowledge on how to care for my family.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Nope, hence why it is not a career move. Nor do I plan to ride in an ambulance. However, if the **** hits the fan in society, I would like some basic knowledge on how to care for my family.

My missionary friends all over the (third) world take care of their families using this book and calling smarter people when they feel like they're in over their heads.

It's probably a cheaper and more cost-effective investment than hobbyist nursing school.

EMT class wouldn't hurt. I've decided to make it mandatory for our kids when they are homeschooling high school. Fleshed out with a more comprehensive Anatomy and a bit more detail on the health maintenance side of things, I think it would be fair to give 2 credits, and increase their overall usefulness.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

ARC first aid

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
2 reasons:

1) there is no certification (except the WEMT, which I may pursue)

2). The wilderness ones in my area are not nearly as in-depth as I desire

2).

Just out of curiosity, why is having a cert. so important?

HappyParamedicRN

Forum Crew Member
Nuring will cost you thousands of dollars and 3 -4 years of FULL TIME college for your RN. Nursing is not a cerification it is a license! You could get your LPN, but that will take over a year and thousands of dollars as well I would go with the EMT class for sure!

Happy

Last edited by a moderator:

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Since all of US EMS revolves around "go to the hospital" I am not sure it is going to be what you are looking for.

Nursing is quite a financial and time commitment "just for fun" but if being able to take care of somebody is what you want it will definately be that.

If you are looking for something cheap for your own enrichment, probably a first aid course would be the best use of time/money.

Would you?

I respectfully think you are missing the OP's intentions.

I think he wants a base of knowledge to help loved ones and handle emergencies. He wants to have "fun" doing it.

There is nothing wrong with having fun doing something. We should enjoy our endeavors, so long as the patient comes first.

My answer would be to take the EMT class.

OP
OP
S

SeanLon11

Forum Ride Along
Just out of curiosity, why is having a cert. so important?

A certification would force me to learn the material.

It is easy for us humans to let other things take priority when we "go it alone", but with a known test at the end, we are much more likely to thoroughly learn the material, whatever it may be.

OP
OP
S

SeanLon11

Forum Ride Along
Nuring will cost you thousands of dollars and 3 -4 years of FULL TIME college for your RN. Nursing is not a cerification it is a license! You could get your LPN, but that will take over a year and thousands of dollars as well I would go with the EMT class for sure!

Happy

Great info! So it looks more and more like the EMT course is the way to go.

Where should I take this course? I know my local community college has a course, but are there online options? Online seems like it would deprive students of the hands-on experience, but I assume it still prepares you to take the certification exam, correct?

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief

Where should I take this course? I know my local community college has a course, but are there online options? Online seems like it would deprive students of the hands-on experience, but I assume it still prepares you to take the certification exam, correct?

The only online one I heard of is overpriced. and requires you be there for an intensive in person session.

IMHO, it is hard to learn anything yourself.

Find a class with a schedule that fits yours.

Your learning gets enhanced by the collective energy of the group.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain

Id take it at the local community college, a lot cheaper than online and private programs and it usually takes 1 semester..

although ive never had online EMT course, they are highly discouraged here because they tend to be "mill" type courses.. pump out as many EMT's out as fast as possible and are expensive
and the lack of hands on as you stated before is also another factor
and in order to be a certified EMT you need to pass both the written exam as well as a skills test

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you're looking for something that will help with SHTF/TEOTWAWKI stuff, take the WEMT course, especially if you're looking for some kind of certification at the end of it. In a big-time SHTF situation or hiking/wilderness situation, EMT will probably be of some use, but WEMT would be better. Nursing wouldn't be that useful and be very expensive to attain comparatively speaking to WEMT. Any medical cert + Wilderness training would be as useful as anything. Given your situation, anything above EMT will likely take too much time and be too expensive to learn for the purpose you're looking to use it for.