Nurse Arrested after Assaulting EMT who Asked Her to "Step Back"

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
A world in which I would get fired for having to push aside a drunk to aid a patient. She was apparently told to stand aside and did not. Done.
Standing orders: call the freaking police. Done.
I would not even get workman's comp for an injury when I ignored danger.

Get yourself a gun...or a clue...or some dignity.

I'm not sure this necro thread on a different topic is really the place to discuss this. Are you implying that if a random drunk in a bar was impeding your access to a critical patient you would simply call PD and go wait in your ambulance? I'm not into getting involved in avoidable confrontations, but this certainly seems to be a case where it would be appropriate to strongly insist the bar patron move aside, and perhaps gently move her out of the way if it becomes necessary.

Also, let's be real about this. "Scene safe, BSI" is just another one of the tired EMS education cliches we continue to churn out. Repeating that as your mantra to yourself, your partner, or dispatch does absolutely nothing to guarantee safety on any of our calls. Being conscious of scene safety is one thing, but assuming every mildly uncooperative drunk is getting ready to shiv you and your partner seems to be taking it a bit far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
A world in which I would get fired for having to push aside a drunk to aid a patient. She was apparently told to stand aside and did not. Done.

I don't even know what to say to this besides wtf.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Congrats on residency JP. I'm starting OMS-1 this august up in virginia. Looking forward to filling in the checklist under my signature just like you did one of these days!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Link is now a 404.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant

I think the name says it all: GREEN!