NREMT vs State Cert. Who Uses What

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I'm curious what states (if any) don't issue certifications and just go with NREMT. I assume most states issue their own cert. Discuss....

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Maryland you must obtain state certification, but as a ALS provider you must be Nationally Registered to obtain state cert which is done after a protocol exam.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think the only area that uses NREMT as their certification/license is Washington DC, but that's a special issue as only one agency covers it. However, a lot of states use NREMT as their licensing exam (hence requiring either maintenance of NREMT certification or just NREMT certification at the time of initial licensure).

OP
OP
nwhitney

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I think the only area that uses NREMT as their certification/license is Washington DC, but that's a special issue as only one agency covers it. However, a lot of states use NREMT as their licensing exam (hence requiring either maintenance of NREMT certification or just NREMT certification at the time of initial licensure).

Here in Oregon, if I understand it correctly, you get your NREMT cert when you initially get certified but many people choose to let it lapse as it is not required here.

Tommerag

What day is it?
In South Dakota, you need to pass the NREMT to get your certification/license depending on the level. Once you are certified here you no longer to keep the nremt certification up, just state.

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Texas is the same. Take the NREMT test in order to get the State Cert. and keep the NREMT cert only if you wish.

emtnc

Forum Probie
NC requires their own state exam after passing the class/practicals. That is, no NREMT exam required.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There is a major difference between license and certification. If you visit the NREMT web site ( www.NREMT.org ) you can locate the states and what the NREMT is recognized as.

R/r 911

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
Here in Oregon, if I understand it correctly, you get your NREMT cert when you initially get certified but many people choose to let it lapse as it is not required here.

It is the same in Indiana. When I first certified there was no NR, it did not exist. We studied from the DOT paramedic manual (no pictures) and from several other textbooks.

About twenty years ago I was affiliated with an MRT team and got my national registry because I was considering relocating. I have kept it current all of these years and it now looks like my wife and I will be moving south. From what we have found so far, it will be easy for me. The wife is a NP and it is going to be more difficult for her.