NREMT-P failed test twice

susiegirl07

Forum Probie
Hello all,

I have taken the NREMT-P exam twice now and have failed both times. First test (150 questions and I knew I failed) I had above passing on two categories, near passing on two, and below passing on the last two.

Second test, 88 questions, I did worse! I had near passing on two and below and the rest and walked out of there thinking I had passed.

I have been studying from online quizzes, my book from class, power point slides and notes. Plus I am up on all of my drug dosages. I understand and know my stuff. I have been studying for 3 months between the two tests.

My Medic co-workers think I have the knowledge but think I am just reading the questions wrong and am not getting what they are asking from me therefore I give the wrong answer.

I need help and advice as I am reading to throw in the towel! I want this more than ever and can't seem to get pass this test.

Thanks for listening.:sad:

bradford

Forum Probie
I just took my NREMT-P test Monday and remembered why I hated the CBT tests at Pearson Vue. I walked out of there feeling bad. I ended at 81 questions in just over 30 minutes, but I passed.
I studied my Brady Books, a book called Paramedic National Standards by Charly Miller, and just random notes I took during class and internship.
Good luck. If you can make it through didactic, clinicals, and internship, you'll get it

OP
OP
S

susiegirl07

Forum Probie
I have studied all my books as i said including acls and pals. I have been on two online websites that have 2000 plus questions bank and still a failed twice attempt.

I don't want to give up and did well in all my clinical time including truck time. The question is why cant i get pass this test??

Some of the questions are so vague and I really don't have enough information to go on. I know this is when people say don't over think it and I have tried that too.

Just feeling like a failure.

bradford

Forum Probie
Yes, it is very vague and somewhat misleading questions/ answers. That's why I don't like it. I walked out of the test positive I had bombed it, but I don't think I could have studied for it any differently. Every question is scenario-based and there are just too many variables to study for every question. It sounds like you are confident in your knowledge and test-taking skills and just a matter of time before you pass. Good luck

OP
OP
S

susiegirl07

Forum Probie
Well I don't know how much more I can study to be honest. It all comes down to the actual test and the way the question is worded. I can't study for that because of all the variables you suggest.

So my question is how do I get past it without failing for the third time?:sad:

bradford

Forum Probie
Try not to dwell on the test, relax (real easy, I know), and read every question.

If you get too worked up with nerves and what-if's, you're really not doing yourself any favors.

Relax. Even if you fail again, you get 3 more attempts

Slow down during the exam. I am not saying that is why you haven't passed, but I know for me, I tend to try to finish tests too fast. Every once in a while, I have to stop because I'm going too fast and read and re-read the question. What is the question really looking for? Diagnosis? Treatment route? Term definition?
This test is hard. I think I read that the Paramedic test has a 60% pass rate. Don't get discouraged. You have the knowledge base. Just answer a couple stupid questions and never think about the test again. You've got this.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Look in the NR section here and you will find many discussions including many suggested study guides and study web sites. It is hard to say why you are having trouble. Just keep in mind the exam is not trying to trick you it is trying to see if you have the minimum amount of education to be able to think out and solve the problem before you. Everything on it is based off the Paramedic curriculum on the USDOT web site. I don't have the link right now to the exact page but perhaps someone else will post it. I had my students study it and any point they saw that they did not know they researched for the answer.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I used the http://www.emt-national-training.com to help me prepare. I also tried to take time and not rush through questions. It took me two hours to take my test.

The best thing to do is eliminate what you KNOW cannot be the correct answer. Even if you still don't know the correct answer this gives you better odds of getting the answer correct.

Even on questions I knew the answer to, I still looked at all the others an eliminated those. If you eliminate just two answers, your odds go up to 50/50 on getting the correct answer. If you don't eliminate any answers then your odds remain at 25%, if you don't know the answer for sure.

The test is difficult, don't give up.

OP
OP
S

susiegirl07

Forum Probie
I used emt-national-training for the first time that I took the test and still failed. I try to have the answer in my head before looking at the answers then I eliminate at least 2. My biggest problem is I don't have enough information to go on I think.

Very frustrating

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well out in the field you won't have all the pieces to the puzzle. You just have to make an informed decision on the information at hand. Do not read to much into the questions and don't add anything that isn't there.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Last edited by a moderator:

Madball

Forum Probie
I used a combination of practice tests, text books ( just browsed, don't try to re-read the whole thing) and notes including all my drug sheets. My advice to you is to study 2-3 hours a day, 5 days a week. Keep on it, and make no excuses not to study. the idea is to constantly keep yourself thinking about the material. I even downloaded an app for my iphone called Paramedic quick reference guide, it's got a ton of drugs to look over and study. If your gonna use the practice tests (which are awesome- I used prenhall and JB) make sure your not just memorizing the questions and answers. Use them to spot your weaknesses and study that area. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

susiegirl07

Forum Probie
I have been studying up to 8 hours a day since I started this process. Right now I am on JBlearning and I am going through my text book as well as sitting down with a very smart seasoned medic.

I honestly think its the way I read into the questions because the knowledge is there although I can't possibly know everything that they ask ie "Where does a service dog ride in the ambulance" in back, up front, in a animal control vehicle or just anther vehicle. Not the exact question as the registry but you get it nevertheless. Not one of my books or quizzes is going to give me that answer. There were a couple like that I had no idea where they came from.

Thanks Medic 417 for the site I will look over all that info too. I am once again not going to have a life for the next month:(

medic417

The Truth Provider
Thanks Medic 417 for the site I will look over all that info too. I am once again not going to have a life for the next month:(

Your welcome. Keep in mind the test is based on the USDOT national curriculum not on any one text book and that's why I suggest using it. It is a lot of material but as you read it if you do not know what it is talking about research it. I hope when you study you used more than one text plus actually researched into real medical books to get a better understanding.

medic417

The Truth Provider
the other site you send me I cannot open

They contain same material just one has zip files you must download to read while other has it posted online to read.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The curriculum is a public document and contains phrases like:

"Describe the pathophysiology, signs and symptoms, and management of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia in the pediatric patient."

Having said that, the problem might not be your knowledge, it might be your standard test taking skills. (I am also fairly confident from your post that anxiety may have a slight role too if it didn't before)

Some suggestions.

Look for patterns. example, hyperthermia, hypotension, purpura. A question containing all 3 is certainly asking about sepsis. But may be a second or third order question so figure out what the questions is asking.

quick example:

a patient called 911 and is presenting with with dark lesions all over her skin who is warm to the touch and is showing signs of shock (you are thinking sepsis) has sepsis (they just elimiated the answer you thought it was by giving it to you in the question.) Your initial treatment should include

a: provide a 20ml/kg fluid bolus
b: administer dopamine 2-10 mcg/kg
c: attach an EKG and monitor for ectopy
d: assess the airway

All of these answers are correct obviously, but one is more important than the others. It is not even a paramedic level skill.

The other thing to remember is the test is based on the lowest level permitted to function, not the highest. So even if you know the endothelial changes and metabolites and biochemical mechanisms of it, that is way too much for the test. The simple answer is usually the right answer.

Once you start trying to justify why the simple answer is not right because "what if?" or "not enough information" or "could be answer a or b depending on..." then you will start trying to make decisions off of factors not given. You may even make a judgement from epidemiology which is not accounted for on the questions because they are testing your knowledge, not "real life."

I suggest just taking many practice exams, from books, etc. The books or websites that tell you the logic as to why the correct answer was best and why your answer was wrong, are definately the best investments of both time and money.

Many of the smartest, most knowledgable, and most capable people I have ever met struggle with standardized testing. It is truly a measure of the minimum.