DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My very dear yet underinformed friend,
There exist at least two states,
Perchance more,
Which have policies and laws which are elderly,
And preclude any EMT from being licensed,
Unless affiliated with an agency.
So every EMT student already has a job lined up before they graduate? Or has to be affiliate with an agency to take the state test to get their initial certification? Because that's a sweet deal, esp for all the new grads who are looking for work.

So if an EMT gets fired from their job for an operational violation, their EMT cert is automatically revoked? I mean, if you need to be affiliated with an agency to hold a valid EMT card, that means once you are no longer affiliated your EMT card should be revoked, as you no longer meet that requirement.

I understand needing to be affiliated with an agency to practice (need for medical direction, QA, malpractice insurance, education, etc), but I would like to learn more about these two states that say if you are not affiliated with an agency you are unable to hold an EMT certificate.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Some civility in this conversation would go a long way.

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
So every EMT student already has a job lined up before they graduate? Or has to be affiliate with an agency to take the state test to get their initial certification? Because that's a sweet deal, esp for all the new grads who are looking for work.

So if an EMT gets fired from their job for an operational violation, their EMT cert is automatically revoked? I mean, if you need to be affiliated with an agency to hold a valid EMT card, that means once you are no longer affiliated your EMT card should be revoked, as you no longer meet that requirement.

I understand needing to be affiliated with an agency to practice (need for medical direction, QA, malpractice insurance, education, etc), but I would like to learn more about these two states that say if you are not affiliated with an agency you are unable to hold an EMT certificate.

My very dear friend,
I am not the one,
Who makes these rules,
And I feel they are demeaning,
and rude
to us.
However, my dear friend,
these states exist,
I know of two,
With these Rules.

Such as New Hampshire: https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/fstems/ems/faq.html#emsopsqs
and
Such as Mississippi: https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/47,0,307,374.html
https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/47,6185,307,371.html
Question:Is a Medical Control Agreement (Jurisdictional Medical Control Agreement) required for certification for a EMT?
Answer:Yes, after December 31, 1997 verification of Medical Control (Jurisdictional Medical Control Agreement) will be required for EMT certification.
and
perhaps others

Last edited:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
My NREMT-P has been expired for something like 17 years. I'm still licensed as a Paramedic and have been continuously since I first was licensed. Therefore... I can renew w/o too much difficulty, should I choose to.