NPA Bevel In-or-Out

Which way should the bevel face?

• The bevel should face towards the septum.

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • The bevel should face away from the septum.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Orient it towards the mouth/chest, and forget about it.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • It doesn't matter.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I am reading Manual of Emergency Airway Management 3rd Edition (thanks Linuss). It talked about Kiesselbach's plexus (Little's area) and the nasal turbinates (concha), and it answered one question I've always wondered.

"Why does it matter which direction the bevel faces when inserting the NPA?"

This was an interesting conundrum to me because I thought that the goal of the NPA was to form a tunnel-like spot behind the tongue to allow air to go in and out. Behind the tongue, you shouldn't have to worry about the nasal septum (I thought). Plus if it did stop at the nasal septum, which wouldn't make sense, having the bevel face the septum would occlude that nare.

If I understood correctly (I think the book worded this weirdly), if the bevel is facing towards the septum, the tip of the bevel can more likely lacerate the kiesselbach's plexus, which is a very vascular spot in the nose and the origin of most nosebleeds (epistaxis). If the bevel is facing away, it can more likely lacerate the nasal turbinates.

For the reason above, the author recommended that NPAs (and nasatracheal tubes for intubation) be inserted with the bevel facing away from the septum.

In regards to NPAs, some people recommend just facing the bevel edge inferiorly (towards the patient's chest) and not worry about it.

So my question is, which way do you face the bevel?

martor

Forum Crew Member
It was explained to me that it needs to face septum. It was meant to avoid the collection of nasal mucus and such. I had to use the NPA a few times. Twice it was in such a stressful situation that I didn't even look at the nose. I just shoved it in. Patient was fine, no bleeding. if you choose the proper size, it doesn't matter.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
In basic class we're taught bevel towards the septum on the way in to avoid spearing the delicate bits, then once past rotate around so it curves the proper way (only if you went in the upside-down nostril). The NPA skills test mirrors this.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I was always taught both in skills and by the book to insert the bevel facing the septum to avoid damaging the turbinates. This is the same way that I teach it to the new EMT students and also the way we insert the NPAs into willing students.

This is however the first time I have heard of not facing the bevel towards the septum.

From what I'm gathering from your post if you insert it bevel facing septum you can lacerate the Kiesselbach's plexus but if you insert it facing away from the septum you can lacerate/damage the Turbinates? Sounds like you run the possibility of getting a nosebleed either way.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Doesn't matter.

OP
OP
A

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Sounds like you run the possibility of getting a nosebleed either way.
The author of the book was suggesting that the kiesselbach's plexus is more likely to be lacerated if the bevel is facing towards the septum than the turbinates being lacerated if the bevel was facing away from the septum therefore it makes sense for the bevel to face away based on the origin of most epistaxis and how vascular it is.

You also run the risk of epistaxis (regardless of which way the bevel is facing) because the NPA or nasotracheal tube can puncture the mucosal membrane inferior to the adenoids where the eustachian tube enters the nasopharynx.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
It would seem to me that with the bevel facing towards the septum the NPA would more easily conform to the shape of the nasal cavity.

If the bevel were facing opposite the septum, then the tip may tend to fold towards itself slightly kinda like a door, thus increasing friction to air flow. :unsure:

In your poll, answer 2 and 3 sound like the same thing? Away from the septum is towards the mouth/chest. Or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
It would seem to me that with the bevel facing towards the septum the NPA would more easily conform to the shape of the nasal cavity.

If the bevel were facing opposite the septum, then the tip may tend to fold towards itself slightly kinda like a door, thus increasing friction to air flow. :unsure:
It also recommended to rotate it 180 degrees.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I was always taught bevel facing spetum.

The whole point of the bevel is so that you can twist it around easily to aid insertion if need be

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
\The whole point of the bevel is so that you can twist it around easily to aid insertion if need be

This. I was taught to "just insert it" by aiming for the back of the head and slowly and gently rocking it from side to side if need be.

Bevel facing septum makes sense to me, kinda like how we start a drip with bevel of cannula facing upward, however I was never formally taught this regarding the NPA

RemoteMedicineIreland

Forum Probie
It doesn't matter. As long as you aim towards the outer ear lobe you will miss the turbinates.

Just because everyone teaches the wrong way doesn't make it right.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
On practical exams, "bevel facing, yessir nosir, O2 and LSBs for everyone."
Real life, it doesn't matter.