note taking in medic class

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I find it hard to write detailed notes in class because they breeze through the topics. Do you use a certain graphics software?

I write very fast with my own form of shorthand. I can get just about every word.

For graphics software, I love google sketchup. Download it. Its free.

daimere

Forum Crew Member
I write very fast with my own form of shorthand. I can get just about every word.

For graphics software, I love google sketchup. Download it. Its free.

I was totally thinking about learning shorthand just for note taking!

Thank you so much.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I was totally thinking about learning shorthand just for note taking!

Thank you so much.
I don't think you need to learn formal shorthand. I did really well in college creating my own. As long as you're consistent, you're good to go.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I spent the first semester of college typing all of my notes from all of my classes. After a while you start to realize which words and phrases you use over and over and over again. From there I developed my own short hand, while using medical short hand to supplement it.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
What I always do is to take the notes in class writing and when I get home I type them out all nice in neat. Maybe I will find some extra pictures or information to add to my notes. It always helped and everything is nice, readable and organized.

That's what I did during my first year of college. Typing your notes is a great way to help remember and retain information. The process of thinking about the topic and typing it does wonders.

I agree with this process; for me, going back over the notes later the same day and having to think about it again really reinforces the knowledge inside my noggin.

That being said, I resent anyone telling me how to take notes or how I am or am not allowed to take notes. I know what works best for me, and when I pay to sit in that classroom, I expect to have the right to use or do whatever works for me (provided it does not distract the other students who also paid to be in that room).

Furthermore, I really resent all the slackers who have goofed off in class to such an extent that some teachers now feel the need to dictate how students can and cannot take notes. Way to ruin it for the rest of us.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
As a student, I honestly was distracted by people typing on a keyboard.

As a teacher, I've found that students who use laptops are distracted by software beyond typing and taking notes.

I've had many students that use AlphaSmart simplified mobile computers, and I've even thought about buying one in college to take notes. It's all about learning and being productive while not interrupting the lesson or interfering with other students.

daimere

Forum Crew Member

As a teacher, I've found that students who use laptops are distracted by software beyond typing and taking notes.

I've had many students that use AlphaSmart simplified mobile computers, and I've even thought about buying one in college to take notes. It's all about learning and being productive while not interrupting the lesson or interfering with other students.

Even when I type notes at home I get heavily distracted. I couldn't imagine to do it in class.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief

As a student, you would love my MacBook Pro. The keyboard is about as loud as a pencil marking on paper, and it's quieter than a gum chewer.

As a teacher, do you mean the student is distracted by other software, such as games, Internet browser, etc., or by the software being used to take notes? If the former, then the student is one of those whom I resent for ruining it for those who might want to use a computer productively; if the latter, then the student is at fault for trying to do something he or she apparently doesn't know how to do. That student shoulda bought a Mac, and it would just work... :D

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I own a MacBook, I own a Dell, I haven't found a single laptop that is truly quiet when I'm typing. Maybe I'm just too loud :)

The student is distracted by having the computer, and gets too involved in the computer and not involved enough in comprehending the information. It's easy to take notes, but it's challenging to actually understand what you're writing. This is my experience with middle school students, so I'm sure it's better in college.

I'll tell you that in the ten or so times I took my laptop to class, only once did I actually do anything useful with it. The professor saw that I was using a computer and asked if I'd type something that they were saying and emailing it to them. I had to close Planet Racer, the game I was playing, but I did it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I used my laptop for many of my A&P lectures. My problem is that if I sit in the class, and I take handwritten notes... i can't understand them later. Additonally... when I'm not writing down EVERY WORD the teacher says... I tend to drift off and doze... that don't help me.

For EMT class... I took handwritten notes of every slide...then typed them over the next days. This worked... but I had to take copious notes, and I missed stuff because I wasn't fast enough.

When I use my laptop... I can keep up with the teacher zipping through powerpoint. Only problem... I slam the keys when I get going fast... this is loud and annoying to my classmates... and I get evil looks when I start typing really really fast to keep up with the teacher.

I usually use MS word in Outline view...but have also used powerpoint in Outline-style view.

I try to be very disciplined about what is open when I'm in class... I make sure that AIM is CLOSED... because I don't want someone behind me to see a pop-up and assume I was up to no good.

I have occasionally worked on other projects in class... like homework (that was past due), etc... but usually only use the computer for note-taking.

OP
OP
K

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
wow thanks for all the input =)

I used my laptop for many of my A&P lectures. My problem is that if I sit in the class, and I take handwritten notes... i can't understand them later. Additonally... when I'm not writing down EVERY WORD the teacher says... I tend to drift off and doze... that don't help me.

i had a similar problem with a lot of my notes. the other problem that i had was when we would go over a topic in more detail i had to take all the notes over again since i couldn't add to what i had previously. towards the end of the term i started retyping them into the computer later but it didn't seem to really work for me. that being said i came out of the term with a 4.0 so somehow it managed to get in my head :p

one thing i haven't tried is recording the lectures and listening to them later. maybe i'll have to try that :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
After reading many of the post here, I definitely hope one types better in the classroom than when posting here... ;)

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I thought about taking a laptop into class but then I run the risk of surfing the internet instead of paying attention.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
The student is distracted by having the computer, and gets too involved in the computer and not involved enough in comprehending the information. It's easy to take notes, but it's challenging to actually understand what you're writing.

This is why what seems to work best for me is handwriting in class, retyping later. The act of reading over my notes makes me think back to the actual class session, and the notes and memory going through my brain reinforces the concepts that were learned.

I wouldn't be surprised if in note-taking or "academic success" courses, the student is taught to read through his or her notes not too long after the actual class session, then rewrite or type the notes neatly and clearly.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a PDA which allows me to take notes with a stylus just like writing on paper. I then transcribe those notes later into type.

2serveothers

Forum Probie
If allowed, record the lectures, then you can jot down the high points of the lecture. You can then review the information you have recorded, if you miss something. This allows for visual interaction between the instructor,you and your peers. Unfortunately we all have had a dry, monotone instruction, where all we could bare was to keep ourselves awake, but I would still find it difficult to type, listen, and interact at the same type for several hours of lecture.

I am for accomodating individuals with different learning applications, but more times than not, computers are somewhat of a distraction. Especially if you are one of a few who are tapping away on one. I found the above mentioned a more considerate option. Consequently, I envy those who can type and listen and absorb all at one time, I know I sure can't. :wacko:

One might also consider changing up there writing instruments in a long lecture series also. Look at ergonomics in pens and pencils, there are several options for writing that wont tense the muscles for writing and you will be able to relax while doing so. I also have an Art background, but found that all of those fancy letters in some folks writing styles to be troublesome for those that had a hard time writing lots of notes. They spent all of there time conscientiously and Un-conscientiously adding squiggles and seriphs to there alphabet rather than using good ole fashioned penmanship. An example is one who writes in all capital letters, Or if you are penning very precise letters. I am not advocating sloppy writing, but one who can write in cursive and with lowercase letters is going to write with a bit less effort. Just a thought to consider.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
...I am not advocating sloppy writing, but one who can write in cursive and with lowercase letters is going to write with a bit less effort. Just a thought to consider.

Studies have shown that children who are taught to print (write regular letters, rather than cursive) all throughout their schooling (and are never taught cursive writing) can write just as fast as children who are taught to write in cursive. Not sure how or if that relates to effort of writing, just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

Last edited by a moderator: