Not sure about becoming an EMT

smurfgirl

Forum Probie
Well first of all I want to thank you all for all your doing for all of us...

I need honest opinions.

Even though becoming an EMT-B seems cool and interesting to me, I am not sure I can deal with it. I dont know if I have the stomach for blood , and stuff. What do you recommend? Is there a video or book, I can read and get more information on this career?

Thanks in advance

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
My best advice is go through the class, as that will be the only definite indicator if you want to stay in it or not.

Worst thing that can happen is you get the certification, never work as one, but have the knowledge in case something happens in your life that needs it.

Hockey

Quackers
Do a ride a long. Lots of places will let you ride especially if you tell them you aren't sure

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
There's also jobs doing non-emergent-inter-facility transfers as a basic. If that's all you plan on doing, it is a dead end job. I would reccomend trying to get on a ride along with a medic unit.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Even though becoming an EMT-B seems cool and interesting to me..
If that is the best motivation you can find for being an EMT, then just forget about it. The "cool" wears off very fast. Once that's gone, it's just a boring, tiring, low paying, hard working, zero respect, blue collar grunt job that has less training than a nurses aide and less money too. There are darn few emergency jobs even available for EMTs in much of the country, leaving you with none of the "cool" jobs, but just simple private company, non-emergency transfer ambulance driver jobs, toting people to and from nursing homes all day long for money that will barely feed you, much less a family. Before you spend a dime on this, you need to do SERIOUS job market research in your area to find out what job, if any, that you can realistically get with an EMT certificate. Despite the smoke they blow up your skirt at the school, it's probably not good.

I am not sure I can deal with it. I dont know if I have the stomach for blood , and stuff.
First, you don't see that very often, especially in the non-emergency job you're likely to be stuck with as an EMT. Second, few people actually ever have problems with that on the job. Standing around staring at blood as a bystander or movie watcher is a very different experience from being in the middle of it on the job. As a medical provider, you are generally too busy and focused on your functions to dwell on what you are seeing. It's the same thing as car sickness. The driver never gets car sick, only the passengers. That's because of the focus necessary. It is a very rare person that finds they cannot deal with it. I wouldn't worry about it.

What do you recommend? Is there a video or book, I can read and get more information on this career?
No, there isn't. Nothing in print or even on film that can convey the reality with any accuracy. You just have to do it. I second the recommendation that you check with 911 emergency ambulance providers in your area, be honest with them about what you are considering, and ask about a ride-along or two to see what it's all about. While you're there, ask them if they even hire new EMTs. Chances are, they do not. So then I would go to the non-emergency transfer ambulance companies and ask to ride along with them to see what you are REALLY getting into. Chances are you won't like it.

EMT is nothing more than three weeks of advanced first aid training. It's no big deal. If you take it and then think it isn't for you, what have you lost? Take the knowledge with you for life and move on.

All that said, if "cool" and "interesting" are your only motivating factors, just move on. This isn't the field for you. This is about medicine, the intellectual pursuit of the healing sciences and arts. It's not about sirens, or uniforms, or driving fast, or glory. And it certainly isn't about making a living or having a job, because there are a LOT easier jobs to get that pay a LOT more, get treated better, and don't wear you out in five years or less. The truth is that most EMT graduates never even get an EMS job. And those who do rarely stay in the field for even five years. If you intend to make a career out of it, then you're going to need to spend over two years in college becoming a paramedic, as well as live in an area that is not exclusively staffed by firemen.

Scriptor

Forum Probie
try

Try working in the meat department of a grocery store if you are unsure about blood and gore. The smell alone could have gotten me used to this job. Not that we get a lot of major trauma situations involving splashing blood and gore (eviscierations are few and far between), but being exposed to something a little more real than high school or even college class-room work can help introduce you to the field. Personally, I recommend becoming a first responder and at least getting your feet wet with some 3rd rider time and what not. Reguardless of what others say, I love this job, even the boring dialysis transfers.

It's also a great stepping stone for other careers in law enforcment, fire fighting and other rescue/emergency agencies.

Good luck.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Personally, I recommend becoming a first responder and at least getting your feet wet with some 3rd rider time and what not.

Why?

10char

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Do a ride a long. Lots of places will let you ride especially if you tell them you aren't sure

Don't you need some sort of medical training for ride a longs? We need to have at least our EMR (pretty well equivalent of the EMT-B ) before we can hit up a ride a long.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Don't you need some sort of medical training for ride a longs? We need to have at least our EMR (pretty well equivalent of the EMT-B ) before we can hit up a ride a long.

Some services will allow ride alongs that are not allowed to do any thing but watch. Other services require you already to be in a class.

So it is service dependent.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
No, there isn't. Nothing in print or even on film that can convey the reality with any accuracy.

Mother, Jugs, and Speed was not an accurate depiction?

Oh well, it wasn't anything like Emergency either and growing up that was like church.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I would definitely do some ride alongs. Try to find out which departments in your area get the most calls, and ride a few times. That will help you decide if it is something you want to be doing. As for requirements, around here I needed to be CPR/AED and First Aid Certified to ride 3rd member. I am allowed to assist the medic up to my skill levels or at their direction. So it's not just observing, but actually assisting in treatment.

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
Doing a ride along is the best way to see if you might like being an EMT. That is going to be dependent on what state you're in. Many services in CT, both volunteer & paid, will allow someone to come in and observe. Some may require CPR/AED training first, which you might want to have anyway. Just be upfront and honest about it with them and if you do get to go on a ride along, ask the EMTs to tell you about their typical day & what services they would recommend if you got your certification. You will find a lot of burned out angry people that continue to work in EMS even though its a "dead-end job" but this is not true of everyone. Some EMTs still remember why the got into the job in the first place and are capable of showing compassion to patients, family and ER staff. Listen to them both, but don't take the it as the word of everyone in EMS.

Taking the class can be trying, especially if you don't have the time to put into it. Keep up on your reading & homework, most do just fine. Worry less about the blood & guts, it really is something that you don't end up thinking about while you're in the moment. Your training takes over and you do what needs to get done.

Depending on your area, you may not be able to get a job as an EMT. But that shouldn't keep you from looking, or getting your EMT if you want to do it. Ask around, see what level of training is required in your area to get a job. There is always a demand for skilled medical personel, you just have to find it. Mainly, just ask other EMS professionals in your area. EMTs, paramedics, firefighters, ER staff, nursing home staff, etc.

Good luck!

rmellish

Forum Captain
If that is the best motivation you can find for being an EMT, then just forget about it. The "cool" wears off very fast. Once that's gone, it's just a boring, tiring, low paying, hard working, zero respect, blue collar grunt job that has less training than a nurses aide and less money too.

Well you have to have some interest in it before finding out what it's all about.

To the OP, do a ride along, or just take the class, you may love it, or you might not find it interesting. Either way, no big loss assuming you have the funds to pay for it.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Mother, Jugs, and Speed was not an accurate depiction?
Actually, I still believe it is the most accurate depiction of EMS ever made, bar none! The only thing that would have made it more realistic is more nursing home transfers.

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I was asking my self the same question when I first started. I took the First Responder class from the red cross and it opened my eyes to what I was getting my self into. I really like the class and that is why I am now in the middle of taken my EMT-B class. Part of the class that I am in you will have to go out into the field for a total of 24 hours. That will show you more then you can read or do. What I am trying to say is take the class, it would kills you.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I would have to disagree with AJ on the "if you don't want to do EMS don't take the class" statement.

Back in June, I had no clue what an EMT was, let alone anything else job related. I've always wanted to be a cop and I saw this as a way to help that--- then I actually got in to EMS and fell in love. Now trying to decide between paramedic school or police academy.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I would have to disagree with AJ on the "if you don't want to do EMS don't take the class" statement.
Are you just manufacturing ways to disagree with me, or what? I specifically told her to take the class and then decide.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Are you just manufacturing ways to disagree with me, or what? I specifically told her to take the class and then decide.

====

If that is the best motivation you can find for being an EMT, then just forget about it. The "cool" wears off very fast.

That was the part I was disagreeing with. That is the exact reason why I took an EMT class, because honestly, it looked cool, and I wanted to know more and see if I would like it.

Is it really that hard to understand?

sabbymedic

Forum Crew Member
Well first of all I want to thank you all for all your doing for all of us...

I need honest opinions.

Even though becoming an EMT-B seems cool and interesting to me, I am not sure I can deal with it. I dont know if I have the stomach for blood , and stuff. What do you recommend? Is there a video or book, I can read and get more information on this career?

Thanks in advance

I have been working full time since 2000 my training ended in 1992. I can tell you that there are lots of books available to read but then there are also movies and stuff.

The reality is that to know if you want to do this comes from you. Every new beginning is scary that is ok because I feel that if you are a little bit scared you will listen more and learn more.

The more you do this job the more you will love it or hate it. The first few calls that are bad may and probably will bother you but that means you are human. Once you start doing it you will get the hang of it or you won't and at which point you will decide you don't want to do it anymore.

Training has to be one of the biggest prepartions you take for this job. Pay attention in your training to get all the basics down. When you do your on Road training listen to the trainers you will have. Their experience and knowledge if you use it correctly can help you become one of the best EMT's there are.

Hope this helps. Good luck.