not good on interviews..

jh0n001flip

Forum Crew Member
I'm not really good on interviews and I get real nervous when it comes down to it but that doesn't mean I'm not qualified for the job. I think looking for the right candidates shouldn't be base on interviews because it tells a small portion about the individual. 2 days ago I had an interview with AMR..after the interview I did skill test and then written test. I wish they would look at me as a whole not just how I was a little nervous in the interview..if that's the case the system is wack..if I did good on the skills and written test but didn't want me because I did poorly on the interview..to me that's not fear at all.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I'm not really good on interviews and I get real nervous when it comes down to it but that doesn't mean I'm not qualified for the job. I think looking for the right candidates shouldn't be base on interviews because it tells a small portion about the individual. 2 days ago I had an interview with AMR..after the interview I did skill test and then written test. I wish they would look at me as a whole not just how I was a little nervous in the interview..if that's the case the system is wack..if I did good on the skills and written test but didn't want me because I did poorly on the interview..to me that's not fear at all.

The majority of what they are looking for is good customer service skills. You gotta be able to sell yourself before you can sell the company.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Welcome to the Club...

YOU'VE got weaknesses!

What would you do if you were weak on skills?

Work on them.

Or how about written?

Work on it.

There's nothing in this field that ain't a muscle you can strengthen.

Let us know how it goes.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I know this may be easier said than done, but you need to gain confidence. I would suggest you take an oral communications class (Speech class) at your local CC. It will help you feel more confident with your speaking skills which will make the interviews less painful.

Zodiac

Forum Crew Member
I know how you feel. I'm also not very good at interviews. I get nervous and stumble over my words if I don't take the time to prepare myself beforehand but I'm not going to suggest that employers are in the wrong for not offering me a job because I stuffed up during my interview. You're competing against other people who might be awesome in all areas of the hiring process so it's not entirely fair to say that a company should give a job to you when someone else may have been better.

All you can do is practice. Find some buddies to have mock interviews with, that's what I do :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe

Forum Captain
interviews are my strong point. I work in a retail job where all i do i talk to people. all you have to do i believe in your self, dont make crap up, look them in the eye(or just in between the eyebrows) and be your self. if they see a fake you and hire you because you B.s.'ed them and then first day on the job your completely different, its a set up for disaster. EVERYONE is nervous. improvise, adapt, overcome. Good Luck

RMPNW

Forum Probie
Unfortunately interviewing is a huge factor in any hiring process. Especially in this field you need to be able to function at your best in high stress situations. It is hard to believe someone can de-escalate a suicidal person, start a line in the dark on a pt trapped in an upside down car, etc if they can't handle the stress of a simple interview. Like others have said practice practice practice and get comfortable and you'll do fine.

terrible one

Always wandering
I hope your not trying to get hired by an FD then. Their entire score is usually based 100% off your interview abilities.