Nonrebreather with an Oral Airway?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've seen guys load a pt with Narcan and it's NOT a good sight. If you use it blind, go low....around 0.4mg....and

I can top that. I've heard first person accounts of medics pushing the max amount of narcan just prior to entering the hospital to 'punish' the patient and 'get back' at specific RNs. Yea. My view of this person changed greatly after hearing that story.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There's basically a reason why said person was working essentially as a basic at a pure IFT company (extermely small company) and has sense essentially left EMS completely.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I can top that. I've heard first person accounts of medics pushing the max amount of narcan just prior to entering the hospital to 'punish' the patient and 'get back' at specific RNs. Yea. My view of this person changed greatly after hearing that story.
That's just wrong...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
So was there a magical adjunct, or just skipping a step? If you're using an NRB, you should at least use some time of adjunct.
So... are you advocating using some sort of airway adjunct when providing high-flow O2 even with a conscious, alert patient that has a patent airway and is able to maintain their airway?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
no you shouldnt. loads of situations where high flow 02 could be indicated and an airway adjunct contraindicated
If not contraindicated... certainly inappropriate...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
ughh im confused now
It's not that difficult...
no you shouldnt. loads of situations where high flow 02 could be indicated and an airway adjunct contraindicated
Just look below... that's an excellent example when using an airway adjunct is inappropriate...
So... are you advocating using some sort of airway adjunct when providing high-flow O2 even with a conscious, alert patient that has a patent airway and is able to maintain their airway?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
right so my post was not wrong. in your scenario o2 may of been indicated, while an airway would of not been indicated
Exactly. It's not that the O2 isn't indicated, it's the use of an airway adjunct that would be inappropriate... Now use of high flow O2 may, for certain patients, be contraindicated for longer term care... It's for those patients that when we do provide higher O2 concentrations, that we must be vigilant about being ready to assist the patient's breathing... but chances are that we might not see their O2 respiratory drive shut down completely...

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Exactly. It's not that the O2 isn't indicated, it's the use of an airway adjunct that would be inappropriate... Now use of high flow O2 may, for certain patients, be contraindicated for longer term care... It's for those patients that when we do provide higher O2 concentrations, that we must be vigilant about being ready to assist the patient's breathing... but chances are that we might not see their O2 respiratory drive shut down completely...

haha understood. miscommunication earlier on my part, by "If not contraindicated... certainly inappropriate...". thought you were saying my post was innapropriate.
Too much studying not enough sleep... i apologize