NJ EMT regulation question

EchoMikeTango

Forum Crew Member
Is there a regulation about how many hours an EMT can work straight.

I am scheduled for a 14 hour shift , 3 times a week.

Tomorrow I am scheduled 14 hours, but I was told that I have to work an extra 4 hours. I am ok with this except I have to be back at work in less then 6 hours, for another 14 hour shift.

Is this legal?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In general, we don't dispense legal opinions here...
Without specific knowledge of NJ regulation, I'll default to my overall understanding of NJ EMS-- It's AFU... and there's nobody running the show.
Unlike truck drivers or airline pilots, there isn't any federal regulation mandating rest times for EMTs, and beyond labor laws discussing when overtime kicks in, my guess is that it's all legal.

If you are worried about getting enough sleep, let your supervisors know you aren't comfortable operating an ambulance or being responsible for patient care beyond a certain point. You aren't refusing calls, but expressing a discomfort, knowing your own body. Perhaps ask if you can sleep at the garage for six hours, to cut down on travel time home, and get more sleep.

Paging EMSLaw? You're an NJite, right?

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
first question, what does this have to do with the NBA?

second, so your questions isn't about working so many hours, but rather how long between shifts do you need off.

I know of some agencies that will allow 24s. typically not a good idea if you are busy, and have no downtime to sleep. and after 24 you are send home and not allowed back for at least 12 hours.

I have done back to back 18s in EMS, with only 6 hours off in between. 6 hours is typically the minimum time off between shifts, but I think it's more of an agency rule not law. Plus, if you can sleep for a few hours at home, and your agency isn't too busy so you can sleep at work, where is the problem?

Call the Dept of labor and ask them, they will be able to give you a more concrete answer than anyone on these boards
I'll default to my overall understanding of NJ EMS-- It's AFU... and there's nobody running the show.
apparently you don't know much about NJ EMS then. It has it's issues (like every other state), but there isn't nobody running the show, there are too many people running the show, or trying to run their part of the show.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Call the Dept of labor and ask them, they will be able to give you a more concrete answer than anyone on these boards
apparently you don't know much about NJ EMS then. It has it's issues (like every other state), but there isn't nobody running the show, there are too many people running the show, or trying to run their part of the show.

Isn't the First Gr... First Aid Council basically fighting all regulation of volunteer ambulances by the state EMS office? So does it really matter if anyone is at the wheel if there's nothing actually attached to said wheel?