Nightwatch comes to Tampa, Florida!

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
Season 3 of the Nightwatch has been filmed in my home city!

I was doing my EMT clinical rotations while they were recording, but I wasn't lucky enough to run a call with one of the film crews. A couple of my classmates ended up running calls with the crews.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...-to-star-tampa-police-and-fire-rescue/2312365

Looking forward to seeing the city I want to work for one day on TV.

Reactions: NPO

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Didn't even know there was a season 2. Hopefully its not as race the reaper as New Orleans apparently is.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I've always enjoyed the NO Night Watch (from an entertainment perspective). The medicine/operations side of it is questionable at best at times, but it's giving EMS some exposure. The exposure might not be the best, but it does show that the providers do truly care, which is 90% of EMS/medicine in general. I do wish that some of the drama/overly excited segments were removed, but then nobody outside the field would watch it.

Again, I don't think the medicine that they show is always the best (though occasionally, they seem to do a really good job). Some of the providers are definitely better than others.

I'm interested to see how Tampa plays out. I'm a little disappointed because EMS will now be run by a fire-based organization, but we'll see where things go.

Still not holding my breath for the outstanding medicine though! Also not looking forward to the ridiculous cliches.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
i was never a big fan. I feel like any TV show that shows the real EMS won't get views. "and now we are going to a homeless man" or "a substance abuser". With the exception of CC EMS, there really is not all that much "Racing the reaper". I only saw a few episodes though.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I refuse to watch any ems show.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Ugh, no thank you. I am really beginning to detest the words: hero, heroism, and heroics.

The false notions these shows provide to the legions of would-be reaper racers is really becoming increasingly nauseating, and truthfully, quite saddening in my mind.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Ugh, no thank you. I am really beginning to detest the words: hero, heroism, and heroics.

The false notions these shows provide to the legions of would-be reaper racers is really becoming increasingly nauseating, and truthfully, quite saddening in my mind.
but but but
upload_2017-2-8_0-6-25.png

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I always look that chipper while doing compressions on the xiphoid process. :p
you and your positivity :rolleyes:, i shall go sit in the dark corner of my office now :cool::) lol.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
i was never a big fan. I feel like any TV show that shows the real EMS won't get views. "and now we are going to a homeless man" or "a substance abuser". With the exception of CC EMS, there really is not all that much "Racing the reaper". I only saw a few episodes though.

Boston EMS actually did a pretty good job of showing what we really do, surprisingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
you and your positivity :rolleyes:, i shall go sit in the dark corner of my office now :cool::) lol.
The funny thing is that I actually tend to be concentrating pretty hard when I do compressions and when I concentrate, I tend to (without realizing it) open my mouth and furrow my brow, so I look as though I'm horrified. You know it's bad when you're casually focused on reading an article and your roommate walks in and asks what's wrong, because you look like you just saw something terrible.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
The funny thing is that I actually tend to be concentrating pretty hard when I do compressions and when I concentrate, I tend to (without realizing it) open my mouth and furrow my brow, so I look as though I'm horrified. You know it's bad when you're casually focused on reading an article and your roommate walks in and asks what's wrong, because you look like you just saw something terrible.

That's my fiancé when I watch tv because I'm a monkey when I get into my recliner and get amused by literally anything lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
so I'm not the only one that has yelled at the TV while watching nightwatch NO. "oh possible CHF, hey can you walk over to the cot?" dafuq?

Honestly though I like the show. I like running the scenarios in my head and think "what would I do, what can I do in my scope, etc..." then to see what the paramedics do.

Though it's odd seeing one person in the back of an ambulance. Being an all volunteer rig, it's not out of the ordinary to have 3-4 people in the back treating the PT at the same time. I actually think 3 and a driver. One on the PT's right, doing questioning/IV/Meds/etc, one on their left doing vitals, and one in the air chair either managing airway, or as with most calls, documenting times and filling out the run sheet.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Though it's odd seeing one person in the back of an ambulance. Being an all volunteer rig, it's not out of the ordinary to have 3-4 people in the back treating the PT at the same time. I actually think 3 and a driver. One on the PT's right, doing questioning/IV/Meds/etc, one on their left doing vitals, and one in the air chair either managing airway, or as with most calls, documenting times and filling out the run sheet.

That's way overkill for most medical aids.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Being an all volunteer rig, it's not out of the ordinary to have 3-4 people in the back treating the PT at the same time. I actually think 3 and a driver. One on the PT's right, doing questioning/IV/Meds/etc
volly with ALS capabilities????

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
define ALS. We are not medics, but we do have AEMTs, and considering our extended transport times and rural nature, our EMTs have a slightly expanded scope of meds from the national registry, but I wouldn't consider it ALS. And by meds I mean EMTs can give albuteral, ASA, narcan, epi, glucagon, oral glucose, etc... and AEMTs by IV/IO can give D50, LR, NS, etc...

But no, no RSI, no intubation only combi/king/igel, no cricothyrotomy, I can place, acquire, and transmit a 12-lead to the hospital, but no interpretation. No pacing, no manual defib, no EtCO2 (I guess we can obtain, but not interpret), no thrombolytics, no pain meds. Which makes transporting that dislocated shoulder 30min on a bumpy road a long LONG trip for both us and them. It also means that if you go into anaphalaxis and epi doesn't stop it, you probably are going to die before you get to the hospital, since we can't cric.