Night Shift

cbmedic7

Forum Ride Along
So I got my 1st job, and I am so excited! But I'm also a bit confused. I went into the interview applying for a 7a shift, but in my new hire information, Im put down for night shift. I don't know what to do, after hearing stories about the night shift, starting on night shift right off the bat sounds a bit daunting for someone with no experience whatsoever...Should I request to be on day shift or leave it alone? Is night shift as bad as I've heard?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have never heard of someone applying for a specific shift at a brand new job. Usually you are just hired with the company and will get assigned a shift later.

Contact the company and ask some questions. Ultimately it will come down to what you signed.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
As a full time employee, you typically go where they tell you. If you applied for a day shift, and they assigned you a night shift, you can ask them to put you on days, but in general, the needs of the organization take precedence over the desires of the new hire.

I've worked days, nights, and weekends, on the 911 truck, IFT truck, PICU truck and CCT/ALS truck, and there were days when i didn't know what truck I was working on or who I was working with until I showed up to work.

its your first job. Do it for a few months and see what it's like. you might even like working nights, when there is no management, and the call volumes are typically lower.

It's even better when you get to sleep at night, getting paid for it, and you can wake up all rested during the day time (but in my experience, these are the rarities, not the norm when working nights).

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
My first shift was the 7PM to 7AM shift and I loved it as a new EMT. I wanted to work the day shift but they put me where they needed me and I made it work.

As a 21 year old I loved the night shift. There was no traffic when running emergent calls, it was slower, and people seemed to be more forgiving knowing I was the new midnight shift guy.

I'm a firm believer that you get hired at the company/service, put in your time, then you start making requests.

Good luck!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Night shifts was where I was put when I first started at my company 11 years ago. I stood on nights for about 7 years and did not bid off of them until about a year after I obtained my FP-C. Mostly because I was tired of sitting on the cert and not using it, but also because my body just could not do the double life thing between my work and family.

If you're new, young, or both it typically really is the better of the two given a choice. Better calls typically, more laid back management, and like mentioned, no traffic (assuming this is an ambulance job). That said, now that I'm becoming an old man, OT is typically at my base, or an occasional day shift.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I am on the other side of the fence. I absolutely hate night shift. In the 9 years I have been in EMS I have only worked maybe 10 night shifts. I much prefer day. I get to keep a normal sleep schedule, everything is open during the day, it easier to find scenes, there is usually more staffing.