Nextel Here

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey....Heres an idea....Everyone with a Nextel should post their DC # here...that-a-way, when we are bored at 2 am, there is yet another person to have fun with...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Bored at 2:00 a.m... ?...I wish ! Either sleeping, or running calls.....

R/r 911

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
As soon as I get one...

It seems like a lot of people in the fire department have Nextel. Why is that?

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Because Nextels are the :censored::censored::censored::censored:!..lol.. Direct Connect feature makes it very easy to communicate with each other in and out of the station. For example, my partner today was curling her hair and not quite done in the bathroom when a call came in... d, deet goes the Nextel..."hey, I'm almost done, I'll be out in a min..." just one example of their fine use :) I would post mine but I hate talking on the phone and at 2am I am normally sound asleep or on a call :)

Last edited by a moderator:

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
To busy during the day... sleepy at night. I cannot imagine what I would talk about anyway.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Around here... 3 years ago, Nextel had amazing coverage and great service... They had restrictions on who could get an account, and VERY strict credit requirements and high deposits.

Now, with "BOOST" Prepaid and minimal credit restrictions... they have poor service because they are overloaded...

In their defense... the first Cell service to come back up in the New Orleans area was Nextel - but only Direct Connect... it was through mobile cell towers that ONLY linked direct connect.

Also, when I got into Baton Rouge 1 week post Katrina...my Nextel service worked fine... 4 days into things, I couldn't make phone calls to anyone for 2 days.. system overloaded... they said it was storm damage... I said B.S. - it worked in the same place, in an uneffected area, 2 days before...

Since then, I'm no longer on my parent's Buisness plan... I'm on my own, individual "Goverment" account... I get a 10% discount on the base plan... Added benifit - I get 24x7 customer support (but they can't access account info overnight). This also means that I might actually be able to get "priority" next time I go play hero at a national disaster...

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I had Nextel with my last job and loved it. We used it a lot since we were spread out over a wide geographic area (pipeline company). This was in the pre-Sprint days, so service was terrible up here, but since then it seems to have improved.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I worked EMS for a large event and was provided a nextel for dispatch. They'd dispatch us via the Nextel, we'd use our radio to contact dispatch and respond.

Nextels are a lot of fun if you know a lot of people with them. The problem is that the coverage is sometimes spotty.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Around here, Nextel is great along highways and interstates. But there are some very crucial dead spots. Our Chapter has a Nextel business account, but I think we're going to be cancelling it within the next couple of months and switching either to Verizon or Alltel.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Nextel used to be the best over here, then they slowly got worse and worse. The service is unbearable in Boston now. Verizon and other CDMA technologies are waaay beyond Nextel.

Even Cingular has really good service around here, despite the fact that they are GSM.

I was a loyal Nextel customer for over 3 years, but I just had to get rid of it recently. Switched to Verizon...

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I hate Nextel phones. Or, more accurately, I hate most Nextel *users* with their phones.

Scene: Standing in line at Taco Bell.

(Very loud) "*CHIRPCHIRP*"
"HEY MAN! Where you AT?!"
*unintelligible drivel from the phone*
"WOAH DAWG, that's TIGHT!"
*more unintelligible drivel from the phone*
"So we gonna get us some hoes or what?"
*still more unintelligible drivel from the phone*
"A'ight dawg, peace out!"

Those bloody phones are going to drive me absolutely insane. ;)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
LOL RC!!!

Jay & I had them for a while, but after a few months it was obvious the money we were putting out for them every month wasn't worth having them so we turned them in. It was fun using the walkie talkie feature and I'd get them again if they went down on the monthly fee.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I want a big one like that guy on Trigger Happy TV!

_1144917_dom_joly150pa.jpg

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
TTLWHKR said:
I want a big one like that guy on Trigger Happy TV!

_1144917_dom_joly150pa.jpg

Don't you know those are the ones that cause cancer!!! :p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
rcmedic said:
I hate Nextel phones. Or, more accurately, I hate most Nextel *users* with their phones.

Scene: Standing in line at Taco Bell.

(Very loud) "*CHIRPCHIRP*"
"HEY MAN! Where you AT?!"
*unintelligible drivel from the phone*
"WOAH DAWG, that's TIGHT!"
*more unintelligible drivel from the phone*
"So we gonna get us some hoes or what?"
*still more unintelligible drivel from the phone*
"A'ight dawg, peace out!"

Those bloody phones are going to drive me absolutely insane. ;)
On the flipside... it is GREAT being able to go beep-beep - Do you want anything at WaWa?
no
Ok...

and have it take less time than 3 rings of a phone...

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, but speaking as a manager of a Taco Bell...Wherever you go, however you do it, find out what your buddies want before you're standing in front of the cashier, wasting his/her time as well as that of everyone behind you.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I just wish they'd require a little more in the English skills dept so when I ask for no lime sauce in my steak soft taco I actually don't get any on it.:glare:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Taco Bell

I just wish they could count.

I ordered a #9 (3 crunchy tacos and a large drink) the other day.

I got 9 tacos.

And no drink.

They charged me for a #3. I tried to explain the issue and the guy said "Que?" at me. I smiled, said "Thanks" and scarfed down 9 tacos.

And never try to order "1 steak soft taco with just lettuce and cheese, and 1 chicken soft taco with just lettuce and cheese." You'll wind up with 2 tortillas with no meat, just lettuce and cheese. *sighs*

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Before everybody starts posting their Taco Bell horror stories, let me also inform you that I've also worked for McDonald's and Burger King, so don't limit yourselves to just one brand. I've also worked for an ATM service company so let's hear your ATM and banking horror stories. I've also worked for the state's court system so let's hear your court horror stories. I also drive cars and wear clothes so let's hear your car and apparrel horror stories.

Or let's remember that humans remain human whether they're flipping burgers, stuffing taco shells, filing legal documents, stuffing an ATM with cash, or whatever. And humans make mistakes. Honestly, for every time your visit to a fast food restaurant wasn't 100% perfect, I've got at least 50 stories from my own experience that were.

...Sorry, guess I ranted there a bit, I'm just tired of people picking on fast food workers like they're all a bunch of retarded idiots. Not just retarded, not just idiots, but retarded idiots. I'm not saying that's what anybody here is doing (and I realize that the complaints/comments were in no way directed at me personally), I'm just saying I'm so tired of it that it doesn't take much these days to set me off. Sorry.

Oh, and I'd also like to point out that from the fast food worker's point of view, it's not the fast food worker that's the problem, it's the customer who's the moron. But I suspect that attitude is fairly common in any type of service job.

Last edited by a moderator: