MCROP

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, I'm looking for some honest opinions on this. I'm 39 and wanting to change careers(braodcasting for the last 19yrs). I'm over half way through my EMT-B course and wonder if I should I wait before jumping into the EMT-I course.
I've been in touch with my local rescue and was told they would take me on as part-time on call pending passing the NREMT. They also would pay for the EMT-I course if I stayed on for a year.
I'm also looking(at some point) looking to get my FF1 & 2. I very motivied and time does'nt seem to be my friend if I want to make a career out of this.

Here's the question: Should I go on my own and take the EMT-I this fall or will this be too much too quick?

mnpics

Forum Ride Along
I would love to hear some opinions on this too. I am in the same boat. 41 and needing something better to do. I just finished EMT-B and waiting to test. Wednesday I go to the local FD to fill out paperwork and start training with them to be on call/volunteer. Hoping to do FF-1 or EMT-I next.

Am I wasting my time? So far I am loving it!

NERDulance

Forum Probie
I am in the same boat too and am interested in following up on this. I really want to become a Paramedic. In no way do I want to stay at the EMT-B level. The question for me is one of responsibility. Is it somewhat irresponsible to be so advanced while yet so inexperienced?

Medic8294

Forum Ride Along
Your not wasting your time.

I joined the military out of high school, got out after 11 years and started emt all over again. at the time Michigan did not acept NREMT-B.
I was a SAR Medic. Flew Combat SAR with the USMC/USN

Got out, No one gave a :censored::censored::censored::censored: about the military, especially Fire depts in area,
so I had to do Basic, EMT-I, and medic all over.

Been working private ems- get paid crap-fire in the area have all attitudes-
like if your not a firefighter you aint crap. ect ect.

I am 47. do your own thing. I like ems- so I get paid crap, but I love my job.

Lots of folks that are older are challenge ing the age rules in court and winning . good luck.
The fire comments are related to my area-not bad mouthing fire depts.
Most are dedicated folks doing a dangerous job. Just a few bad apples.

Good luck. do a year or two as a basic-then go medic. you have to be a good basic before you a re a good medic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
39? Don't take this the wrong way, but you're pushing the limit, if not already at it, for getting on as a paid firefighter depending on the department.

If you end up liking EMS, skip EMT-I and go straight for your paramedic even if you have to pay for it yourself. You won't regret it.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
In my area the colleges that offer EMS training are no longer offering the I-85 and have not been for about a year due to the upcoming EMS changes in 2012. Reason behind this is either dropping back to Basic level or advancing up to Advanced EMT. I'd agree with challenging the Paramedic level.

oc_emt

Forum Probie
I entered EMT-B program at 38, I was just hired by a big ambo company. I worked in retail operations/investigations for 18 years. It was time for a change. I started my own BLS/CPR training business to suppliment the low pay I anticipated entering EMS. Its definately a profession I should have gotten into a long time ago..! Its never to late to do what you want and are meant to do! Good luck!

OminousFinding

Forum Probie
I'm a volunteer and I work with a guy that was hired on at 39. I also went to a FF1 academy this last summer and a 43 y/o passed, kicked *** and took names. If I get hired in this economy, I'll be surprised if it happens before 35 years old for me.

Point is...If you're going to do it, jump in fearlessly and don't look back. Time is of the essence (only because if you REALLY enjoy it, you want as much time to do so before you're too old to move!). Otherwise, don't let some young hotshot tell you you're too old for the game. Trust me--I get annoyed when some 20 y/o n00b firefighter who just graduated from probie status acts like I'm some ancient relic at 27. Fact is, it really doesn't matter how old you are so long as you can do the job. And every day in the fire service is another chance for life to be taken away. Young or old, y'all (we?) are up against the same demons.

mnpics

Forum Ride Along
I'm a volunteer and I work with a guy that was hired on at 39. I also went to a FF1 academy this last summer and a 43 y/o passed, kicked *** and took names. If I get hired in this economy, I'll be surprised if it happens before 35 years old for me.

Point is...If you're going to do it, jump in fearlessly and don't look back. Time is of the essence (only because if you REALLY enjoy it, you want as much time to do so before you're too old to move!). Otherwise, don't let some young hotshot tell you you're too old for the game. Trust me--I get annoyed when some 20 y/o n00b firefighter who just graduated from probie status acts like I'm some ancient relic at 27. Fact is, it really doesn't matter how old you are so long as you can do the job. And every day in the fire service is another chance for life to be taken away. Young or old, y'all (we?) are up against the same demons.

Thanks for the encouragement! I am finding more and more people with positive things to say about this choice.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
39? Don't take this the wrong way, but you're pushing the limit, if not already at it, for getting on as a paid firefighter depending on the department.

If you end up liking EMS, skip EMT-I and go straight for your paramedic even if you have to pay for it yourself. You won't regret it.

Throwing down the BS card on this one Linuss. The average age for new recruits nationwide is around 32. If anything a 39 year old is no where near "pushing the limit". there are plenty of departments that will pick up guys that are 40+, I have heard of some guys getting into the tower at 50+. The big factor for us older guys is are you going to be able to keep in peak shape well into your sixties. Can a guy remain healthy and injury free is what a department is going to be thinking when it comes time to pick recruits. I know some 50 plus guys that will smoke the 20 somethings on the fire ground but they have always taken great care of themselves.

Texas for the record is one of the few remaining places that has an upper age limit for new recruits that test for civil service departments. Unless a department has an upper age limit(rare) I would test. Of course the competition is hard and all the little extra resume sweeteners (degree,medic,reserve or vollie experience) will help but many departments like folks that are a little older and have a record that shows mature and responsible behavior. If you were 49 I would recommend that you really evaluate your choices only because the competition is tough even at 29 but at 39 the fire world is yours to conquer. Go to firehouse.com and you will find plenty of evidence to support my argument along with plenty of older guys who would be glad to share their success stories.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Throwing down the BS card on this one Linuss. The average age for new recruits nationwide is around 32. If anything a 39 year old is no where near "pushing the limit". there are plenty of departments that will pick up guys that are 40+, I have heard of some guys getting into the tower at 50+. The big factor for us older guys is are you going to be able to keep in peak shape well into your sixties. Can a guy remain healthy and injury free is what a department is going to be thinking when it comes time to pick recruits. I know some 50 plus guys that will smoke the 20 somethings on the fire ground but they have always taken great care of themselves.
Do you have a source for that? I'd be very interested in seeing it, and more interested to see if it was broken down into career and volunteer dept's, and if it takes into account people who are making a lateral move from one career dept to another. Around here (which isn't to far from your "here") he's right; the average age for getting hired by a career dept is probably somewhere around 26 I'd say. 39 isn't to old, but, as you said, it will make for a more difficult process, and the competition will be tougher. Not that it can't be done, but, it'd be good for the OP to make an honest assessment about what he wants to do now, before he starts down that road. Does he want a career in EMS? Fire? Both? At what level? If it's fire or a combo, what is his physical condition; not just strength, but medical as well...any chronic problems...is he very active and has been throughout his life? Will the (probable) change in pay be an issue? Has he really thought about what this career entails?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Wow. the OP and I sound like we're in the same boat. I'm 39, and have worked in major market broadcasting for over 20 years. I'm finishing Paramedic school now, and will take the NR exam a few days before my 40th birthday in June.

If all goes acording to plan, I'll be in Fire Academy this Fall and plan on owning it!

It's not too late to pursue that dream, but there are a few things you should be aware of.

1) You need to be in EXCELLENT physical condition.
2) You need to have a pristine background.
3) You need to be ready to work for the job...

and medic school will make you a MUCH more valuable candidate.

Good luck.... and let us know how it goes!

AVPU

Forum Lieutenant
Kinda sorta in the same boat. I'm 32 and since college have worked for corporate Amer. Got bored helping rich clients within the confines of a cubicle. Always been interested in EMS. Got my EMT-B, now I'm applying for work. Good luck!

AVPU

Forum Lieutenant
I entered EMT-B program at 38, I was just hired by a big ambo company. I worked in retail operations/investigations for 18 years. It was time for a change. I started my own BLS/CPR training business to suppliment the low pay I anticipated entering EMS. Its definately a profession I should have gotten into a long time ago..! Its never to late to do what you want and are meant to do! Good luck!
I'm thinking about starting the same sort of biz. Right now I teach for someone else. Do you enjoy it? Is it good supplemental income?

OP
OP
M

MCROP

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Being the "old guy" in class, I'm in way better shape than any of the 20 somethings(sad) so being fit enough should'nt be a problem. I have put and app. to my local rescue and meet with some of the crew who also offered encouragement .I've also been in to touch with the local FD as well. It is tough to balance school, working full-time and family life, but I can't see doing any other type of work than EMS. I wish I jumped on it ten years ago.
Know that I've got the bull by the horns, I'm gonna drive his his head
@#$%ing ground!!!!!!

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Do you have a source for that? I'd be very interested in seeing it, and more interested to see if it was broken down into career and volunteer dept's, and if it takes into account people who are making a lateral move from one career dept to another. Around here (which isn't to far from your "here") he's right; the average age for getting hired by a career dept is probably somewhere around 26 I'd say. 39 isn't to old, but, as you said, it will make for a more difficult process, and the competition will be tougher. Not that it can't be done, but, it'd be good for the OP to make an honest assessment about what he wants to do now, before he starts down that road. Does he want a career in EMS? Fire? Both? At what level? If it's fire or a combo, what is his physical condition; not just strength, but medical as well...any chronic problems...is he very active and has been throughout his life? Will the (probable) change in pay be an issue? Has he really thought about what this career entails?

Redondo Beach fire Division Chief Paul Lepore author of aspiring firefighters and other books aimed at new recruits as well as those already on the job who are looking for promotions. His web site is aspiringfirefighters.com, he has used the average age of 32 in posts on firecareers.com as well as firehouse.com. Before joining Redondo Beach fire he was a BC for Long Beach,CA fire and has been active in the testing and interview process for many years. Bottom line if your in shape,can stay in shape and have something to offer that the younger guys don't have you can get hired well into your forties. These older guys should have 100% of our support and should never be discouraged from trying to reach their goals especially by something like age.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Redondo Beach fire Division Chief Paul Lepore author of aspiring firefighters and other books aimed at new recruits as well as those already on the job who are looking for promotions. His web site is aspiringfirefighters.com, he has used the average age of 32 in posts on firecareers.com as well as firehouse.com. Before joining Redondo Beach fire he was a BC for Long Beach,CA fire and has been active in the testing and interview process for many years. Bottom line if your in shape,can stay in shape and have something to offer that the younger guys don't have you can get hired well into your forties. These older guys should have 100% of our support and should never be discouraged from trying to reach their goals especially by something like age.
So it's just anecdotal then and not based on any factual numbers. Unfortunately, that's what I was afraid of. I agree completely with the bolded portion, but part of that is being honest about what the OP faces and not sugar-coating anything. Telling someone something that isn't accurate as a confidence booster isn't always the best policy. Better to be honest about things so that a realistic assessment can be made.

Radioactive

Forum Probie
Honestly, I mostly feel like an old man (at 30) in my EMT-B class, seems that everyone is 18-22. I have to just keep telling myself that my previous years in the medical field will keep me ahead of the pack. You guys are making me feel pretty good right now!

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
So it's just anecdotal then and not based on any factual numbers. Unfortunately, that's what I was afraid of. I agree completely with the bolded portion, but part of that is being honest about what the OP faces and not sugar-coating anything. Telling someone something that isn't accurate as a confidence booster isn't always the best policy. Better to be honest about things so that a realistic assessment can be made.

Anecdotal or not it comes from someone with an inside look at the hiring practices of large California departments. Someone who has sat across the table from countless recruits to be and has been involved in the process from testing through the academy. What better person to offer up insight into the process. If he published his numbers on some website that you considered gospel would you have a better opinion and be more likely to accept his numbers? I would put bank on Chief Lepores numbers long before I would trust information offered by anyone with lesser insight into the fire service.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Anecdotal or not it comes from someone with an inside look at the hiring practices of large California departments. Someone who has sat across the table from countless recruits to be and has been involved in the process from testing through the academy. What better person to offer up insight into the process. If he published his numbers on some website that you considered gospel would you have a better opinion and be more likely to accept his numbers? I would put bank on Chief Lepores numbers long before I would trust information offered by anyone with lesser insight into the fire service.
I'm not saying for sure that 32 isn't the average age of a new recruit; it is possible. I'd actually like to see someone run the numbers on a national basis, especially if it was broken down into career, volunteer, and people getting hired by a dept after working for a time at another one.

What I am saying is that the info you have provided is anecdotal at best and has, as you presented it, no proof. Believing something that you see (on the internet of all places) without any documentation other than "that's what I saw" is never a good policy. Considering anything "gospel" because you saw it online is worse than stupid; it's being willfully ignorant. At worst, you also need to remember that Lepore is selling a product; the more people who buy his product, the more money he makes. And if he can up the number of buyers by giving false info, who's to say that's not what's happening? I'm not saying that is what is going on, but, you do need to consider the source.

In a nutshell, not questioning something that has no documentation or proof to back it up, especially when you are considering a career move or other potentially life-changing event is very, very silly.

Last edited by a moderator: