Let me say at the start I am on old school guy and would rather draw from resources other than the web but as you know there is a tremendous amount of good information to be had if other sources are unavailable. Except for my time on this site I spend nor have very little time for the Internet. I would rather network with other members of the fire/EMS service that I have met over the years than look to the web for my information.

I have over the years exchanged e-mails with Chief Lepore and can tell you he is the real deal. He has for years given out plenty of free advice to those that ask on both firecareers and firehouse and has helped many to reach their goals. His free advice to myself and others has been of great use to me in both obtaining my ER tech job (a very competitive position) and when I started as a shift volunteer at my old combination department. I cant source a number but I bet the Chiefs free advice has helped many more people than his paid service has. How much time have you spent in the last year to help those coming up behind you. I think your a paid guy and you of all people should know how tough the process is and how even a little free advice can make a big difference in putting a prospective recruit ahead of the pack.

Starting with my first day on the floor (after 6 years with my home department) I used the Chiefs and others advice and had a very successful two year run working as a member of an engine company along side my paid brothers. I did this along with working tech shifts and responding with my home department. The birth of our "bonus" baby forced me to severely curtail my extra activities and become the sole provider for my family. I have gone on to help three other people obtain tech positions using an interview formula that I developed using my knowledge and some of Chief Lepore's free advice. To even hint that the Chief would give out bad information to help himself financially is in your words very,very silly to say the least and even hints at a bit of pettiness. I think I know whats going on,you don't like the idea that someone would choose to pursue his entrepreneurial goals and start a business using his extensive background and knowledge in the fire service to help new recruits. You asked for a source and I gave you a source not some obscure web site but a highly respected member of the fire service. A chief officer with a very distinguished record of service that has a track record of helping many young people who share the goal of being a member of the fire service. What else can I say?

You're right, I asked for a source and you gave me one. Don't get pissy with my replies; it doesn't change the fact that, right or wrong, accurate or not, your "source" is one person's personal experience. It be may accurate or it may not be, but there is no way to check because it's all anecdotal. What bothers me in this situaion is you are using information that very well may not be right, (or very well may be) to give advice to someone about changing careers, which will probably also be a life-changing deal. By all means tell people, "Chief LePore says the average age of new recruits is 32," but don't make a blanket statement that "the average age of new recruits is 32." Especially not in this situation, because you really have no idea. To be fair, neither do I.

Really, think about what you are saying. Allow me to paraphrase. "Chief LePore helped me get a job and I like him, so I will believe everything he tells me and accept it as the truth without considering any alternatives. Anyone who points out the problems with this is wrong." Does that sound like a very good idea?

Oh, and by the way, I actually have zero issue with buisnesses like LePores or eatstress.com; if I did I wouldn't have used them. Do you always get this defensive when it's pointed out that you may be spreading inaccurate info?

Wow sounds like someone needs a nap! Im sorry I dont share your mastery of the english language I will strive to make clearer and more concise statements. Once again you asked for a source I gave you a source which you discounted. To be honest I have heard the same number thrown around in conversations at the kitchen table after chow,bet you want a source,sorry no can do. I have respect for your opinion and am happy to agree to diagree with all due respect. If I came off in any way that offended you please accept my apology. For the others following this thread well they can take whatever number they want its really not a life changing issue,the average age of a new recruit that is. My big cocearn is why you would even hint that Chief Lepore might might give bad information. Thats just wrong and I made my case why I thought so,sorry if I came off as defensive,its all good.

Anecdotal or not it comes from someone with an inside look at the hiring practices of large California departments.

My big cocearn is why you would even hint that Chief Lepore might might give bad information. Thats just wrong and I made my case why I thought so,sorry if I came off as defensive,its all good.

Woah, woah....back it up a few notches there. He's not saying it's bad information, but just that relying on one department is a source of skewed information. N=1 pretty much means nothing in statistics. I'll give you an example. If we were to look at the ground agency that I last worked for full time (at least for pay) and were to extrapolate the average age of a field supervisor from that, you would wind up with an average age of 25 because the values for that one department were 20, 24, 25, 27, 30 and 24. Now, I highly doubt that is the case nationwide. See why this "Chief LePore" may be a stand-up guy (I don't know him, have no opinion of him and in fact had never heard the name before you mentioned it) but his data is not valid for application beyond his department? That department may favor older and more mature firefighter applicants just as the medical director I worked for favored young, aggressive but experienced and well-educated professionals to be raised up to become EMS supervisors (several of us were groomed for the job more or less straight out of training) over the older and less well-educated but still experienced EMS professionals he could have chosen over us. That was the point he is trying to make. Don't let your personal opinion of a data source override the validity of the data he or she is bringing forth. Some of the best data I know of on given subjects comes from people I personally despise and vice versa.

they can take whatever number they want its really not a life changing issue,the average age of a new recruit that is.

Actually it could be. If they are in an area that looks down upon older applicants, it may well doom their chances. Giving them false hope based on some poorly reported data could really do far more harm than good. That is why regional data or even local data specific to the individual in question is far better than a national average or the raw numbers from some department in California. I believe the data on the average age of selected applicants should be public record (as a result of EEO and anti-age discrimination regulations) or at worst available through a FOIA request.

Actually it could be. If they are in an area that looks down upon older applicants, it may well doom their chances. Giving them false hope based on some poorly reported data could really do far more harm than good. That is why regional data or even local data specific to the individual in question is far better than a national average or the raw numbers from some department in California. I believe the data on the average age of selected applicants should be public record (as a result of EEO and anti-age discrimination regulations) or at worst available through a FOIA request.

Roger that.

I am old, and know it.

Roger that.

Old guy here. 41.

Age has some advantages. I for one, understand the difficulty of getting in a new field (As a volly, no desire to do anything except help my town...) but that being said I also know that if your going to do something, be the best you can. So, I study, study and study some more. And I practice, ride along all that I can, etc... I have this over most youth.

Then on the other hand, there is the physical demands of firefighting and EMS work. I am genetically blessed, and excel in my physical abilities... BUT... I do so with a tremendous amount of work, and eventually I will run out of steam... sooner than later but the 20's something year olds I work with have the physical ability and stamina to do what I do with half the effort. And, they have my age and experience in life to tap into and that makes me proud.

But, all things equal... if I needed to hire a FF/EMT and I would take the younger one with the same physical and mental abilities as the older one as they can do it longer.

Just my opinion, but I am in the end of my Basic class and FF1/2 and I have to bust my old arse to keep up!!

Back