Newbie here

shug

Forum Probie
Just wanted to take a sec. to say howdie to everyone and give a formal intro. Im from Kansas City and am a paramedic student (almost there!!! :blink: ). This site has been very interesting and informative and I hope to get to know everyone better in the near future.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Hey, welcome to the forum!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to the group Shug!!

Chimp

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Welcome to our friendly little family.

OP
OP
S

shug

Forum Probie
:wub: Thanx guys I feel so loved. :D . Hey, does anyone have any suggestions on quick drug math. I only had 3 1/2 weeks of pharm. and am really not too confident that I'm doing things right. For this "clock method" can it only be used for Lidocaine???And could someone PLEASE expain it in a language besides Greek or Latin. (dead *******s with their cooky big words.)

EMS Maniac

Forum Probie
Welcome Shug!
I am in the I class and Pharmacology eludes me as well. I wish I had some wonderful advice to give, but I don't. If you should come up with something good please share. :rolleyes:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMS Maniac@Sep 24 2004, 02:55 PM
Welcome Shug!
I am in the I class and Pharmacology eludes me as well. I wish I had some wonderful advice to give, but I don't. If you should come up with something good please share. :rolleyes:
Titrate to effect? :p

One of the advantages of being a basic...you don't have to take pharmacology.

dgmedic

Forum Ride Along
Hey! Welcome to the EMS profession. And welcome from another Missourian. Let's see...drug math. How about the Down and Dirty Dopamine Ditty:

To figure your initial setting for dopamine at 5mcg/kg/min

Take your patients weight in POUNDS....divide by 10.....subtract 2.

ie. your pt weights 180lbs 180/10=18 18-2=16 16mL/hr is the rate you want to run your dopamine for 5mcg/kg/min.

pretty cool eh?

there are all kinds of little 3am calculations. If you ever have any questions let me know.

-dgmedic

rescuecpt

I love drug math! (Maybe that's because I'm a CPA and numbers are my thing)... Send me a private message with specific questions and I'll help you through it as best I can.

OP
OP
S

shug

Forum Probie
:eek: that cant be it????. You mean to tell me that I have turned gray at 23 over this math crap and it is that freakin simple? :blink:

crash

Forum Ride Along
My favorite dopamine drip shortcut goes like this since we don't have iv pumps here: put 150mg in 250cc with a 60gtt set and the gtts/min will be half the pt's weight in kg for 5mcg/kg/min---so if the pt weighs 80kg run 40gtts/min....I have few other favorite shortcuts if you're interested..let me know

OP
OP
S

shug

Forum Probie
I am always interested and thanx so much for everyone's kindness. I already told rescuecpt that she rocked the party that rocks the body, but it really does apply to everyone :D

dgmedic

Forum Ride Along
Originally posted by crash@Sep 28 2004, 06:06 AM
My favorite dopamine drip shortcut goes like this since we don't have iv pumps here: put 150mg in 250cc with a 60gtt set and the gtts/min will be half the pt's weight in kg for 5mcg/kg/min---so if the pt weighs 80kg run 40gtts/min....I have few other favorite shortcuts if you're interested..let me know
Nice Crash... I like that one!!

rescuecpt

woohoo!

OP
OP
S

shug

Forum Probie
well thanx bus :wub: you sure know how to make a gal feel special. luv ya, but you misspelled damn :D :D :D

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Cerebus@Sep 30 2004, 10:51 AM
Dam Shug, you are one nice lookin hunny. B)
ROFL. And his profile says, "How did you find out EMTLife.com?: Wife"

HAHAHA