Newb EMS question...

Justin DaRosa

Forum Probie
Ok, this is my first post on this website and i really like how informative it is here. My question is kind of a noob question but if i want to be a EMT, and work for the FD. Would i have to also go to fire academy and so on and, and i'm a firefighter and a EMT depending on when needed? Or do FD's have firetrucks and Ambulances and there separate but you just work for the FD and aren't actually a firefighter??

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Fire departments vary greatly on how they are staffed and operated. It's going to depend on your location. Some fire departments have a single role EMT position (EMT on an ambulance with no firefighting). Other departments have the dual role (you're an EMT and a firefighter). There are also departments that are single role firefighter only (no EMTs).

OP
OP
Justin DaRosa

Justin DaRosa

Forum Probie
Oh ok, thanks a lot seems like most everything regarding EMS varies by location.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
i'm a firefighter and a EMT depending on when needed? Or do FD's have firetrucks and Ambulances and there separate but you just work for the FD and aren't actually a firefighter??
Yes.

More specifically depends on the department. Some departments the EMTs and Paramedics are Firefighters who have to go through the Fire Academy and rotate positions between the ambulance/rescue truck/suppression apparatus and respond to all types of emergencies. Other departments hire "Single role" EMTs and Paramedics, where they do not have to go through a fire academy and do not do any fire suppression work or ride on the engine or ladder trucks at all. Many departments do not have ambulances at all.