New/paramedic to be biggest fears :s

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
Some of the BLS providers (who have the ambulances that we ALS folks have to ride in) scare the bejabbers out of me.

This. Everytime I tell BLS to head to the hospital without L&S, it's like a little part of them dies inside lol

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Biggest fear? Peds has already been mentioned so ill go with my second choice...having to emergently poop while im on scene. We all know that feeling, and its terrifying.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Peds all the way. I don't even feel comfortable around them in normal life, let alone them being the patient (I like how I am referring to peds as if they are an alien, which I mean come on when they are first born they do look like one).

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
My biggest fear has always been and continues to be finding myself in the middle of something that I had no idea I was afraid of!

It's the anticipation of the fear that drives us nuts. Once you're in the middle of it it's all about one moment at a time. If it's anything else, you're in a hell of your own choosing.

OP
OP
A

Ana

Forum Probie
Peds all the way. I don't even feel comfortable around them in normal life, let alone them being the patient (I like how I am referring to peds as if they are an alien, which I mean come on when they are first born they do look like one).

Yeah yeah those little tiny bitty airways and sooo slippery body...bwahuahuahuahuaaaa! Scaryyy! I like the way they smell though!!!

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Is it bad that I laughed like a maniacal person when I read that?

My fear? Freezing on scene. Been a Paramedic for 2 years, EMS for 3, and it still worries me.

Yeah I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like its more than an adrenaline rush I feel at some scenes and I have to work through it and focus.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Go large and get a job at a PEDs transport, ER, or ICU.

After a few months, you will make peds look easy.

(anytime you are really good at something it looks so effortless anyone can do it.)

^ This

Exactly what I did, and for the same reason(s).

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
After thinking about it for a while, I feel pretty comfortable in my skills that I can handle any sort of patient that is thrown at me... It's the other factors on scene that can make me tense. We respond to some less-desirable housing and apartment complexes, and rarely have police on scene. From a few yards away at night it's extremely difficult to tell our uniform from an LEO uniform, and most people in those aren't big fans of the police...

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
biggest fear

Peds doesn't actually scare me, what really scares me is administering a med and the patient having that one obscure contraindication that I forgot exists and makes them go into irreversible arrest.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
My biggest fear is working with that partner that has you in fear of losing your card due to what they do (or choose not to do) for their patients. We know the type. And when something bad goes down, they're throwing you under the bus.

MedicMey

Forum Ride Along
After a couple peds calls I have gotten more comfortable with that. I have this nagging fear of equipment failure though. I know when I really need something it's not going to work.

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
Peds doesn't actually scare me, what really scares me is administering a med and the patient having that one obscure contraindication that I forgot exists and makes them go into irreversible arrest.
This is pretty much mine. I am completely OCD when It comes to giving a med. I'll check the vial multiple times to make sure I have the right med and dose. But at the same time I think this is a fear I never want to lose

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
I'm pretty much afraid of everything. I just walk on scene and do my best to reference what I've learned and apply it. I figure out new things I can handle with every call!

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant
Getting a call right after eating the tamale platter at Bueno!!

"While on scene, if you don't know what to do, at least LOOK like you know what you’re doing. Take a breath, do your job and everything will work out." -my first partner.

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
A, B, C homey. When in doubt just ensure they have an adequate airway, are breathing (or have you breathing for them), and start addressing circulatory issues.

My biggest fear is always that late night transfer or of course getting a call right before shift change when i have somewhere to be.

Epi52

Forum Probie
A, B, C homey. When in doubt just ensure they have an adequate airway, are breathing (or have you breathing for them), and start addressing circulatory issues.

My biggest fear is always that late night transfer or of course getting a call right before shift change when i have somewhere to be.

This!!! Remember the adage "Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on this is bad"

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I do worry occasionally about that job at 6 in the morning after getting flogged on night shift, you can barely see, let alone think and the job turns out to be ridiculously difficult. But not often.

I'm pretty confident in my knowledge and ability to apply it. Not that everything will ever be perfect, but I'm confident that I can function at the vast majority of jobs at level that is at, or above, what is expected of me.

I fear not living up to the expectations of my more senior colleagues who expect a lot of me.

That and complex obstetrics cases. Difficult delivery of two flat twins plus a serious post partum haemorrhage. That scares me because no matter how much I read, its very difficult to gain actual hands on experience of things like obstetrics manoeuvres to manipulate breech presentations etc. I'm going to try and organise some more time on obstets wards and I'll be in the NICU for some observations this weekend, but it'll never be enough.

medickat

Forum Crew Member
I would have to agree that my current biggest fear is giving a medication I shouldn't have because of some obscure contraindication I overlooked.

As far as peds go, it's usually the parents I get concerned about. They do not take very well to their kid being sick :ph34r:

When I was a new EMT, I was horrifically afraid of codes. One of my preceptors told me "the worst thing that can happen during a code is that they stay dead." That got me over it pretty quickly.