New Hire-Medix

CrackerBDingus

Forum Crew Member
Hey all, I'm new to this forum but not to EMS.

I just got hired by Medix Ambulance in Mission Viejo and I was wondering if there is anything I should expect or prepare myself for. I start training on the 21st of May. I looked around on the forums a bit before starting this thread so I'm sorry if I missed anything, but I didn't see much of anything about how they operate currently, only outdated information.

Thanks for any help.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Welcome,

I didn't Even think they were still around since they lost alot of their EOAs and IFT business.

OP
OP
CrackerBDingus

CrackerBDingus

Forum Crew Member
Actually, during the interview I asked a lot about what direction they plan to take. They are still in business and are hiring to meet new demands in the call numbers. I was one of five people chosen for the open positions from what I understand. Moreover I specifically asked them what they intend to do in the next 5 years. To which Drew's response (I believe this was the son of the owner), was that they would be bidding on all contracts available in 2014 as the family owned agency. Whereas CARE and Doctor's are now Faulk, and AMR respectively.

I don't know if you heard about Shoreline keeping Westminister, but it was due to apparent community involvement. Medix seems to want to use that approach with their bids, but they even have a leg up on the way Shoreline did it (CAAS for one).

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
was that they would be bidding on all contracts available in 2014 as the family owned agency. Whereas CARE and Doctor's are now Faulk, and AMR respectively.

Just a friendly business note--that statement means absolutely nothing. I will bid on all contracts for the next 10 years in my name....unless someone offers me the right price.

Even if I have contracts under my name, they can be transferred by a sale...so the statement is worthless in any decision making capacity...thats all I am saying.

OP
OP
CrackerBDingus

CrackerBDingus

Forum Crew Member
Good to know, and it had no bearing on my decision to join. However, the original question still stands. Can anyone tell me anything about what I may expect?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Yes, while they plan on bidding on all those contracts, they could very well end up with none... Then they must rely on no contracts to get by until they get one (or a few) that can support their operations... and that can be a very difficult position to be in.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
they havent had those contracts for two years. if they are still in business then they are doing something right. the OCFA 911 contracts aren't very lucrative anyway, they still have their con homes just like every other ambulance company. you will be taking edna to her MD appointment, then to dialysis, then picking edna back up and taking her home.

OP
OP
CrackerBDingus

CrackerBDingus

Forum Crew Member
Guess I can only wait to get onto an ET then. At least it's a step up from Shoreline. I've been there 4 months. The EMT's are awesome (most anyway), but the management drives me up the wall. I think they're trying to lose money. My shift there has been Pasadena or Norwalk. Most days 0 calls, not even for IFT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'd be looking for a new job. You don't want to be at a place thats great to work for till the check bounces...
I worked at a place like that...except the other employees were too short-sighted to see that their gravy-train was about to derail. I would have been their 2nd full-time medic, displacing (in a way) 3 shifts per week of someone else's part-time shifts. They were paid more than I was. Not keeping me around resulted in higher personnel costs. While it may not have saved the company, it would have prolonged it's death and perhaps given it some hope for survival. The company "died" about a year or so after I left.

I moved on... and have been in a job that made it far more possible to continue my education than that job would ever have allowed (even though my current job is non-medical).:cool: