New Here...Starting EMT-B ...questions in need of answers

infinityBA

Forum Probie
Hello all,

I made a huge decision of making a career change since my current creditials arent getting me anywhere..
So I looked in to EMT training and made the decision to give this a shot. Since I am in my later 30's I am concerned how much my age will be a negative impact of me finding employment later.

I have been told so many different things that I could use an EMT-B certification with.. whether is be with a private agency , hospital , town or even working as a ER tech within an Emergency Room..

I am excited about this decision but would appericate honestly whether it be positive of negative. I start in a month and the course takes me into June..

Awaiting feedback....I hope I get some..Thanks in advance..

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
The role of Ambulance Officer is the same in the end no matter where you do it despite the differences in praxis modality which exist in various international jurisdictions.

With that in mind, what has prompted you to move into Ambulance?

Remember, 99% of being a good ambo is people management, talking and relating to people, making bad days better for them, 0.9% is fundamental care and 0.1% is fancy advanced stuff like defibrillators and adrenaline.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Hello all,

I made a huge decision of making a career change since my current creditials arent getting me anywhere..
So I looked in to EMT training and made the decision to give this a shot. Since I am in my later 30's I am concerned how much my age will be a negative impact of me finding employment later.

I have been told so many different things that I could use an EMT-B certification with.. whether is be with a private agency , hospital , town or even working as a ER tech within an Emergency Room..

I am excited about this decision but would appericate honestly whether it be positive of negative. I start in a month and the course takes me into June..

Awaiting feedback....I hope I get some..Thanks in advance..

Welcome to the site!

First, understand that the training of an EMT-B is seriously lacking in almost every area. In my opinion, it's a good start, but that's ALL it is!

There's not many issues with being in your late 30s as far as I'm concerned, as long as you're in good shape. In fact, being a little older could be viewed as desirable by some, because it shows you have life experience and maturity.

If you're serious about entering into this field, realize that it shouldn't be something where you just do the bare minimum (pass the EMT class) and stop learning. If you want to progress, and do the best for your patients, make sure you view the EMT-B class as just the very, very beginning.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Eric

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'll agree with Brown about the age and experience. I have actually been looked down on a bit by some when they find out I'm only 21 and in medic school, even though I'm told I am on the high end of the maturity scale for my age. I won't say I don't have my moments but who doesn't?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I'll agree with Brown about the age and experience. I have actually been looked down on a bit by some when they find out I'm only 21 and in medic school, even though I'm told I am on the high end of the maturity scale for my age. I won't say I don't have my moments but who doesn't?

Whoa now don't give Brown my credit! :rofl::p

OP
OP
I

infinityBA

Forum Probie
Definitly looking at the EMT-B as a start and already have the mind set to continue furthering education.. like it has been stated increase in knowledge will help in helping the patient..

Reason for going in this direction...I have been in the drug/alcohol field for awhile and the thing I loved most about it was the interaction with the clients. So I guess I am looking at this being another avenue in helping people. I definitly am not your sit at the desk type of person..I need the interaction and that has always been my strongest area.

Class is taught by a local hospital paramedics ..it states online class work , one night per wk in school for 3 hours and then 4 full days of in class work.. including shadowing within a 911 dispatch and also in a hospital.. dont know if this is the usual for this course.. but I figured I would state it and maybe get some insight on it.

and like i said its from sept until june...versus a crash course ive read about at other place...I should include its held at a community college..

My concern is also what the job outlook is for this..

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Tommerag

What day is it?
Something else you will want to consider is how is the job market in your area for EMT-B? Are you going to consider going to paramedic school? If not I would suggest doing this if you are planning on making EMS your next career path.

ArtEry

Forum Ride Along
well, im a baby fresh emt-b and just turned 30. this is also a career change for me, and so far i think its a wise choice. i will be doing medic school ASAP. so, welcome to the club! oh, get used having 23 and 25 yr old kids teaching you! lol! keep an open mind and remember, they are older than you in this field. have fun!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
your class is from sept - june? 10 month basic course wow you should have the book memorized when its over

Ideally that's how one should be after any such course. It's the folks who don't grasp the "basic" (no pun intended) stuff after their course that are a detriment to their patients, this forum and the field as a whole.

EMT-23

Forum Crew Member
your age wont matter when it comes to helping people, the only thing that will matter is your knowledge, and professionalism...

nevets_eural

Forum Crew Member
Ideally that's how one should be after any such course. It's the folks who don't grasp the "basic" (no pun intended) stuff after their course that are a detriment to their patients, this forum and the field as a whole.

oh yeah mr smarty pants do you have your text books memorized word for word

Nvision

Forum Ride Along
I hope age doesn't matter!

Hello all,
New here, but jumping right in... In my case I hope age doesn't matter. I volunteer at my local FD. In order to help them out more I am taking the EMT-B class starting in two weeks, and the Firefighter 1&2 class in the spring.
Not to mention holding down my regular job in radio land.
Oh, I am 40 and the other guy going to class with me is 49....

Nvision

Sasha

Forum Chief
Okay. So here it goes...

If you're changing into EMS, expecting to go far, get some respect, get some money and have your credentials finally "get you somewhere" or even expecting to get a job, then you are going to be disappointed.

The market is far too over saturated. The conditions almost universally suck, the pay is barely liveable with a bunch of overtime and very few people will give you any kind of respect.

You're going to have a hard time finding a job. You're 30 and although it's ageist, there are probably thirty 19 or 20 year olds willing to take your job without the problems of high blood pressure, arthritis, poorer vision/hearing etc.

Not to say it is hopeless. I'm sure if you stay persistent then something will happen for you.

If you're coming in to EMS because medicine interests you, great, if not, then you may want to rethink your choices.

That said, Basic is a short course and it couldn't hurt to give it a spin... just be prepared for it not to live up to your expectations.

and welcome to EMTLife!

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
oh yeah mr smarty pants do you have your text books memorized word for word

No, but he understands the science behind everything in the EMT book so he doesn't have to memorize it.