New Emt looking for some help

rajien2

Forum Ride Along
Hey,

I’ve got a few questions to ask, I’m 18 working on my EMT-B it is just a BLAST and I can’t wait to be working out in the field. My NREMT test is in august. I’m ready for it, then after that I’m going to a local college called Guardian College to get EMT-P (7 month). Now for the questions how is the job outlook for EMS in a nutshell, I never see any ads in the paper or on Craigslist. Is this just the kind of work you need to walk up to a station and say hey look I’ve got my cert can I have a job? Also should I be trying to get all the certs I can before I looking for a job i.e hazmat, fire safety and so on, any imput on how you guys got into EMS world would be great! Also I know this is going to be a broad question, I’m currently working for the DOD (DepartmentOf Defense) I’m a Network Analyst. To keep a long story short, I really don’t like it…. It’s just one big pissing contest with your boss and their boss. How are the Politics in the EMS field? I understand my questions are out there and very broad so Flame way.

Thanks for your time

Cody
Boise, Idaho

cherpy66

Forum Crew Member
ems

most ems companies will have some sort of hiring process which starts as a application and then goes into interview and some tests to see how u actually are with basic skills, but apply to as many as possible because ems jobs are in short supply. Yes the more certs the better. its a tedious process, but they all look good i promise. i got into ems about 7 months ago, and have been working for amr for 2 months now in california. i really enjoy the work, it has long hours and sometimes is is a not fun place, but it pays off and it is fun and challenging. i do really enjoy it. the politics ive delt with are the same as any job, do what ur supposed to, quickly, efficiently, and right on the first time,(which isnt hard) and ull be a successful emt. some bosses are jerks, some are really cool. it just depends.

OP
OP
R

rajien2

Forum Ride Along
most ems companies will have some sort of hiring process which starts as a application and then goes into interview and some tests to see how u actually are with basic skills, but apply to as many as possible because ems jobs are in short supply. Yes the more certs the better. its a tedious process, but they all look good i promise. i got into ems about 7 months ago, and have been working for amr for 2 months now in california. i really enjoy the work, it has long hours and sometimes is is a not fun place, but it pays off and it is fun and challenging. i do really enjoy it. the politics ive delt with are the same as any job, do what ur supposed to, quickly, efficiently, and right on the first time,(which isnt hard) and ull be a successful emt. some bosses are jerks, some are really cool. it just depends.

Hey thanks for getting back to me, also thanks for the imput it helps :)

Thanks
cody

surfer06

Forum Probie
also if you know people it really helps. If you see any fire crews, emt's, or medics talk to them. Get your name out there. do some volunteer work. Whenever you get a chance talk to them. You never know you could talk to a guy at the grocery store about ems and then u apply and bam that guy is on your interview board.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
working on my EMT-B it is just a BLAST and I can’t wait to be working out in the field.

Like the kid who swallowed the quarter: "This too shall pass."

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There are so many medics and EMTs out there that companies don't usually need to list openings since they already have so many applications on file. Go to local companies and turn in applications to all of them. A solid work hx also helps since you don't have any field experience, which can be a problem for some.

As for politics, it's hit or miss. Some companies are easy to deal with, others not so much, talk to employees when your putting in applications and see how they feel about the company and if they like working there, ect...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
There are politics and pissing matches here too.

OP
OP
R

rajien2

Forum Ride Along
Haha great thanks for the support and the imput i will keep that all in mind. ^_^

Cody