New EMT looking for a job

nats62761

Forum Ride Along
So I recently passed my NREMT and I got my Ambulance Drivers License and I've been filling out applications for jobs... but no one has been calling me back.. should I call them? and if I do.. what should I say? sorry I don't really know what to do and I'm kind of nervous!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Judging by the fact you say you have an ADL... I'm betting you're in CA? Do you have your state license (EMT)? If not you need that before anyone will hire you. And if you're in CA, then keep in mind EMTs are a dime a dozen, massive overabundance of them.

OP
OP
N

nats62761

Forum Ride Along
oh nice guess. yep I'm in LA. and oops I forgot to mention I have my EMT license too. But other than that is there something I should be doing.. like stopping by the office? I'm not really sure what to do.. I've always sort of just got my jobs before this haha.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
nats6276.524830 said:
oh nice guess. I'm in LA. and oops I forgot to mention I have my EMT license too. But other than that is there something I should be doing.. like stopping by the office? I'm not really sure what to do.. I've always sort of just got my jobs before this haha.

Welcome to EMS. If you can escape L.A. Better pay and oppertunities such as Kern County, Riverside County, Ventura county, San Bernardino county, imperial county, merced county.

Youll mostly get picked up by a dialysis company or a mom and pop thats going to teach you bad habits as well as make you lose 50% of your knowledge and skills. But you will be able to explain Dialysis to a T. Once you have your card in your pocket go with the big names first. AMR,Bowers,Care,Mc Cormick,PRN,Schaefer Good luck!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to EMS. If you can escape L.A. Better pay and oppertunities such as Kern County, Riverside County, Ventura county, San Bernardino county, imperial county, merced county.

Youll mostly get picked up by a dialysis company or a mom and pop thats going to teach you bad habits as well as make you lose 50% of your knowledge and skills. But you will be able to explain Dialysis to a T. Once you have your card in your pocket go with the big names first. AMR,Bowers,Care,Mc Cormick,PRN,Schaefer Good luck!

Gerber is also a decent place for a brand new EMT to get 911 experience. Easy to get hired on at, there's pretty much always openings.

But if you (OP) aren't in the South Bay area, they may not necessarily be worth the drive (unless you don't mind working there only long enough to hit up the McCormick guys at LCM/TMH for references, I knew one or two guys who did that lol)

OP
OP
N

nats62761

Forum Ride Along
Thanks everyone :) while I don't want to develope bad skills... my main goal is PA school so I'm really working as an EMT for the "paid patient experience" that those programs require. I'm not the biggest adrenaline junky so I would love a dialysis type of company (I was the odd aspiring EMT in my program) but other than that I just need a starting point..

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
EMT-B In Minnesota

In Minnesota we do not require to get a ADL license to drive a rig. If a we have a free and clear driving record they will put you behind the wheel. And offer some defensive driving. I am a new EMT-B and I am having a difficult time finding employment I have applied several places and no phone calls. I have no experience, but CNA experience. I was offered possibly a volunteer EMT job with a 3 rig agency, that is EMT-B and EMT-I based. But that does not but money in the bank to pay the bills, but it may be a start. :huh::huh:

OP
OP
N

nats62761

Forum Ride Along
yah it's tough! I just kept filling out applications and eventually companies started to call me in for interviews.. just keep filling out applications to different companies and don't give up! good luck :)

TeamCutz

Forum Probie
Everyone is always tagging on Gerber Ambulance, but for some 911-experience & IFT experience, apply to Gerber & call Lani. They just got bought out by Falck...more people will be needed to staff our new rigs coming in.