New EMT - Kern County

emtdawgy

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone,

New here and new EMT. I've heard great things about Hall ambulance so I'm looking at applying there.

From other threads, there is supposed to be two interviews where the first is general HR questions, but not much info on the second interview. Does anyone here have any insight on how similar the second interview would be to the first? Just looking to get some anticipation about the current process.

Thank in advance!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The second interview is where you make your blood bond to be inducted into the Kern County Cult. I’ve also heard rumors they may require a sacrificial EMR.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
If I remember everything correctly....

The 1st interview is with HR. They go over your background, past employment, and some scenario questions.

The second interview is with the operations officer. If you’ve made it to this point it means HR thinks you’d be a good fit, but operations wants the final say. The questions are more focused on you and why you want to really be there. If you haven’t heard by now Hall wants people who want a career in EMS and more importantly with them.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
What's said above is pretty spot on. HR does a standard interview with standard questions. Then you go to an operations interview and they make sure you're a good fit for the company.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
There’s been a big shift in HR over the last year or so. None of the people posting so far actively work for HALL. If I’m being honest, it’s changed even since I’ve been hired.

Who interviews you after HR is probably a guess as to who is available for that day.

TBCH, as an EMT you’re so much more expendable. As a medic, I had a different experience and met with Big Harv himself.

Those were different times though, best of luck.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
You get your HR interview and than usually management at the lower level. Don't sweat it. Any questions just PM.
Good luck.

OP
OP
E

emtdawgy

Forum Ride Along
Thank you to everyone that replied! I have been getting somethings together before applying, but noticed they are not hiring for EMT at the moment. @gonefishing any idea when they will be hiring?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Thank you to everyone that replied! I have been getting somethings together before applying, but noticed they are not hiring for EMT at the moment. @gonefishing any idea when they will be hiring?
Have you called HR to ask? It really is your best bet. And to my understanding, they’re quite helpful and polite.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
It's best to call and ask. I'm in a completely different world as I am based out of a station far away from Metro. Kind of like ventmonkey. I only see the monkey when we need a paramedic with wings. Don't be afraid to call. They are incredibly nice and go out of their way. If your also looking to get your paramedic, this is the place to do it.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@gonefishing @VentMonkey thank you guys, appreciate the help! I'll also be applying to other companies around the valley until then
Are you an “LA guy/ gal”? The one thing to echo from others about HALL is that they do seek career-driven paramedics. This means EMT’s who want to move up their chain of command.

That’s not to say there aren’t EMT’s here both making more than a 10+ year paramedic like me, and aren’t content, it’s just food for thought.

The reason I’m reiterating this is because while there’s some good places to work for throughout the Central Valley, it’s both closest to SoCal (still technically considered SoCal, too) and builds itself and employees around a structured environment if you choose to stay.

I see a lot of the other companies and can’t help but feel a more “fly by night” vibe. I might get some grief over this, but it’s just my honest opinion. GL.

ETA: like @gonefishing mentioned, slide me a PM if you want further company insight. I know a thing or two about a thing or two here...