New EMS Simulator

dmc2007

Forum Captain

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I liked it. The options it presents for questioning could be a good aid for those who struggle with a pt interview, jumping all over the place and having trouble vectoring in when appropriate. This would be a much more productive way for a "buff", "ricky rescue", or a "whacker" to spend their time off duty rather than add on to calls while off duty.

The MCI scenario reminded me of something. Twice monthly, we place triage tags on all of our transported pts, just for practice. That way, when we actually manage an MCI, we can be proficient and quick with proper tagging.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
only 14.95??? thats pretty good. I'm thinking about getting it just for Disaster practice

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Made by the same group that made America's Army. I would like to try this as atraining aid. We had something similar in class although it was 2D/text based vs. 3D.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm going to get this and try it out.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Different folks learn different ways.

When I think of all the brain matter I wasted and still use to retain landscapes and "laws" of MechWarrior...:wacko:

This sort of stuff has been attempted on Second Life, Univ of Idaho being one (I forget the other...I want to say "Oxford", but that's not right). There it takes loads and loads of prep and is so prone to interruption by griefers, but can prompt interactions between folks across the panet on a truly realtime basis.
Nothing beats the real thing though.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm gonna download it tonight and then see what happens

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Yeah, I played that game a few times. It's actually fairly good.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Its not new.

It's an ok thing. It points more towards cookbook medicine because it doesn't give you a lot of leeway in what you do. It shows you what questions you have to ask, so you have no useless info to read over.

It also won't let you give a drug or do a skill that's not indicated, so if you're lost at what to do on a pt, just keep clicking buttons till something happens. Could have been done a lot differently and therefor, bettter.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Its not new.

It's an ok thing. It points more towards cookbook medicine because it doesn't give you a lot of leeway in what you do. It shows you what questions you have to ask, so you have no useless info to read over.

It also won't let you give a drug or do a skill that's not indicated, so if you're lost at what to do on a pt, just keep clicking buttons till something happens. Could have been done a lot differently and therefor, bettter.

That does kind of suck. I know the text and picture based PC sims we used in class let you do whatever you want. We were shown the sim at the beginning of class and took great joy in doing crazy things to the patient. For example one of the scenarios "18 y/o Male, possible fractured ankle", you can go in immediately shock him and then leave. After the scenario it tells you that you kill the patient and were sued for your license and why that happened. It was pretty cool program.

Thindian

Forum Crew Member
That does kind of suck. I know the text and picture based PC sims we used in class let you do whatever you want. We were shown the sim at the beginning of class and took great joy in doing crazy things to the patient. For example one of the scenarios "18 y/o Male, possible fractured ankle", you can go in immediately shock him and then leave. After the scenario it tells you that you kill the patient and were sued for your license and why that happened. It was pretty cool program.
Do you remember the name of this program?

EMTecBOB

Forum Probie
Just a heads up on this....I bought this, and downloaded it. It would not work....the reason was because my Internet provider (Suddenlink) blocks the port that this program needs to run. - It is in their documentation...and FAQ...they warn you that you need this port open to make it work.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Where is the download? I bought it, and only have access to the online course?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Ohh, got it. EMS people have to do the pre-assessment...