New drug blocks HIV from entering cells

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
source

i thought this possibly to be of interest here.....

New drug blocks HIV from entering cells
07/07/2005

The Asahi Shimbun

A durable new drug that prevents HIV from entering human cells and causes almost no side effects has been developed by a team of researchers at Kumamoto University.

The new drug, code named AK602, was reported by the research team's leader, Hiroaki Mitsuya, at the International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific in Kobe on Tuesday.

The drug's main feature is that it shuts out the AIDS virus at the point when it tries to intrude into a human cell.

Current AIDS medicines can lose their effectiveness in a few days when the virus changes and develops a resistance to those drugs. But AK602 is different because it reacts to human cells instead of attacking the virus, Mitsuya said.

He said the drug sticks to a protein called CCR5 that acts as an entrance into human cells for the AIDS virus. When the new drug becomes attached to the protein, it can prevent HIV from entering, and thus stop the virus from spreading.

The researchers conducted clinical tests on 40 AIDS patients in the United States.

AK602 not only proved effective against viruses that had become resistant to other drugs, but it also caused almost no side effects, the team said.(IHT/Asahi: July 7,2005)

~Stevo

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Man just think of what that could do......

What an incredible claim. I wonder why it hasn't made mainstream news yet?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
This could be a step towards a "cure."

It could also not work.

Still intresting, and time will tell of its results.

Jon

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
You know why I dont want a cure or simple vaccination for HIV?

because then it would just become another STD out there, that a little trip to the health department could fix. It is about the only tool out there that helps to limit the unsafe sex, needle sharing, etc. Not to mention the guaranteed mutations of the disease once it becomes common as a cold. Its sad that fatal deterrents are the only thing that works to prevent stupidity. Look how many people contract this disease as it is due to unsafe behaviour. It sux about the unitntentional exposures that can result in HIV, but it would be worse to see the retalliation mother nature deals us if we beat one of her most powerful weapons against the plague of humans that threaten her existence.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Another patented grossly insensitive remark from SHP (and you guys thought I was a *******)...... :rolleyes:

Too bad being grossly insensitive isn't a way to catch this lethal disease, because if it were I'm sure everyone's favorite member here would have a different take on this.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by usafmedic45@Jul 11 2005, 01:21 AM
I'm sure everyone's favorite member
Please, don't make me laugh, I may hurt myself.

Preach to us, Short, tell us why it's good that people die from mistakes. We all make mistakes in life, some people pay for it immediately, and some people pay for it for the rest of their short lives. If someone could reverse that mistake, sure to never make it again, why prevent that?

I'm sure a lot of people do contract HIV from unsafe sexual behavior. But it doesn't always happen with a complete stranger. Many people will have it for a long time, as will their partner, and not know it. You are saying that people deserve to suffer with what they are dealt with in life. I disagree. What about health care workers that are accidently stuck with a needle?

In ten years as an employee of EMS, I've been stuck once; my partner was stuck twice. He has hep C, I was lucky. I got off scot-free, but the medications necessary in the months prior to final testing are a punishment alone. You don't know if it will prevent what you may have contracted, or may not have. In this case, the patient was not HIV positive, but refused to release that information. A nurse left sharps in the bed sheets, and threw a wad of them to me. I strongly dislike her for that... The medication is not friendly, especially to me as a diabetic. The side effects make you very, very ill, from many directions. I hope you have never had to deal with that. I can't fathom the personal horror of someone who goes through all the medication rounds and testing, only to later be diagnosed with a disease that is fatal.

I certainly hope that this new medication is a sign that modern medicine has the edge on this disease. It will be great for our industry, so many obstacles are in our way as prehospital providers. I will support anyone, and any idea that will make our jobs easier; or more safe. Think of what good that could come out of a discovery like this; maybe a vaccination for pregnant mothers to prevent them from passing HIV/AIDS onto their unborn child. This will open up a whole new field of research for finding a cure for AIDS. And if they can make this an extinct disease, what would be next, cancer? heart disease?

You have your opinion, and I respect that, no matter how seemingly cruel it is. The more I read your ideas and concerns, short, the less I see you as a health care provider.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
*claps* Well said Whacker. :D

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Bravo whacker! I couldn't have put it more eloquently than that. I agree with you verbatim. :)

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
2nd that

I'm reminded of the sanitarium mentaility that ruled the lives of those afflicted from consumption.....

or the 'devil made them do it' mentality of the KKKristians whom one one hand preach abstinence, yet have the highest rates of abortion, child abuse, etc (check the dumber blue states stats if you doubt me)

it's all too easy to blame the afflicted isn't it? the responder, the kids, whomever is either knocked up, has an STD, or whatever creepy disease...

the sad fact is, prophylactic's in general are socially unacceptable, we saw this in our own sleepy hamlet when a sex ed teach demonstrated proper condom usage, and certain seletboard members had a cow

sad that..... you know it just wouldn't fly if our hero's like James Bond had one of thier romantic interludes broken up by that Trojan Man would it?

social engineering dictates otherwise in the closet 'don't ask don't tell' mentality of our public ...

~S~

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by Stevo@Jul 11 2005, 03:42 PM

the sad fact is, prophylactic's in general are socially unacceptable, we saw this in our own sleepy hamlet when a sex ed teach demonstrated proper condom usage, and certain seletboard members had a cow

sad that..... you know it just wouldn't fly if our hero's like James Bond had one of thier romantic interludes broken up by that Trojan Man would it?

social engineering dictates otherwise in the closet 'don't ask don't tell' mentality of our public ...

~S~
What's even sadder is how random/casual sex is romaticized. I'm not one to censor things aired on tv. I can turn it off if it bothers me or change the channel if I don't want my children watching something, but so many times I see these long romantic interludes in movies and this is what inexperienced people base thier standards on for sex. It's supposed to be long, passionate, romantic, perfect, no funny noises, no need of protection (because like Stevo said above it would ruin the mood). Since when has it ever been like that? Once we tried the candle wax thing... HA, instead of sex, we spent 2 hours picking the wax off my husband who was itching like hell from it pulling on his chest hair. I think this is where people get the idea that all should be perfect and wonderful and this and that. The truth is, the best sex in the world is when you have had the same partner long enough for him/her to know what you want and like and the couple can communicate fantasy, etc..and intergrate that into the "sessions." Unfortunatley some people don't understand this aspect and go all over looking for something and end up getting sick or hurt from it. I only wish I could relay to people the rewards and benefits of monogamy.

Ok I'm off my soap box for now :)

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
bond-men.jpg

yeah Wingnut, these fellas should all be dead of STD's... butcha know you just can't preach monogomy to those will sorts, they're going to do what they like.

best to have them work for planned parenthood , and maybe do those corny trojan man commercials (you know, the ones with the dude that shows up just before the couple does the wild thang , with odd horse sounds in the background?)

~S~

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
Apparently, none of you who responded are capable of non sheepish thought, as I did not say that anyone should suffer. I stated if a cure, or vaccination were to arise that would negate the extreme consequenses of this disease, the fear associated with it would no longer be incentive to avoid the behaviour that can ultimately lead to its contraction, it would become something fixable, so the fear would be gone and the protective behaviours would lax more than they have already.

I also mentioned that the disease would ultimately mutate, as it continually does until it became resistant to the treatments availabe, as mother nature is a mean old *****, and will win. Only at that point the fear would be gone from the disease, the behaviours would have returned, only now the virus people contract will be much more resiliant.

A family member of mine contracted the disease, luckily he died from other causes before it progressed into all its splendor. Do I feel bad for him for getting it? No, it was his behaviour that caused him to contract it. I would have, on the other hand, felt sorry for him when the progression had left him looking like death, but I would hope that his image in comparison to his former self would have served as a reminder to those who knew him that his behaviour is what brought this about. If he had taken a pill to get rid of it, then no lesson would be learned. What a waste it was that he could not have had the opportunity to help prevent others from contracting the disease in his suffering before he died.

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
I stated if a cure, or vaccination were to arise that would negate the extreme consequenses of this disease, the fear associated with it would no longer be incentive to avoid the behaviour that can ultimately lead to its contraction, it would become something fixable, so the fear would be gone and the protective behaviours would lax more than they have already.

well shorty, first off many fixable diseases have thier consequenses and leave thier mark when cured. for instance i don't see a whole lot of CHF'ers looking for thier next triple bypass asking for a greaseburger at the fast food joints....

and as much as i could go on about fear selling many a prophalactyic protocall ,protective measure, or magic widget, one has to lend creedence to plain common sense here.

Nobody , aside from Masochistic or possibly munchenhausen afflicted, wishes to be ill , even in this pill poppin' nation

[
If he had taken a pill to get rid of it, then no lesson would be learned.
indeed spoken like a Pfizer shareholder with a consience? I will acknowledge that they are the biggest (and well politically connected) cartel around, makes anything from Columbia look like a dime bag street corner gig

this is an interesting conversation initself for anyone keen to the medico-politico aspects that have had us gravitate towards most a 'senior junkie' status, in fact one of the first leading Q's is "Have you had a change in your meds"

I also mentioned that the disease would ultimately mutate, as it continually does until it became resistant to the treatments availabe, as mother nature is a mean old *****, and will win. Only at that point the fear would be gone from the disease, the behaviours would have returned, only now the virus people contract will be much more resiliant

we could do a thread on the antibiotic paradox and argue the validity of your sentiment here....

or those nasty filiovirus's that have , iirc, mutated to transmit bettween man and animal, gawd help they become airbourne....

Do I feel bad for him for getting it? No,
i'll asssume promiscuity , not immunilogical resistance to be what your pissed off about. Yet harboring ill will toward's the promiscuous via a death penalty is just cold man....

~S~

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Okay, I guess I'll step into this one, I agree with Short Haired Punk's opinion, that the cure won't solve anything. But I disagree with his premise that fear of the disease prevents anyone from doing something stupid that they wouldn't have anyway. I would also argue that Short Haired Punk's opinion regarding promiscuous behaviour is compareable to the arguement that a woman who wears a short skirt is "asking" to be raped. While to say that it plays no part, would be naive, but to say that it plays a significant enough part to justify the act would be rediculous.

For short haired punk, nothing will stop people from doing stupid things, period.

Wingnut, are you serious? Okay, maybe that's too harsh, but your opinion is the "truth" to you. For me? No where close. Are there risks from having multiple partners over your lifetime? Absolutely. Are there risks from having one partner your entire life? Absolutely. That's why it's called trust, if there is no risk, there is no need for trust. The only way to mitigate risk is to have no partners. Personally, for me, things get old, relationships, etc... whatever. No matter what I/we do, or don't do, in love or otherwise, for me, it gets old, and eventually needs to be eliminated or replaced. I embrace the our temporary existence. Are there risks to that, yes, but I accept them knowingly. But as the saying goes, everyone's got their opinions, and their right to be right, even if it is only to themselves.

Stevo, my socially minded brother. Yes, corporations are doing terrible things, but again, a corporation is just a non-nationalized form of government. Rules, constitutions, by laws, leaders, etc... However, the AIDs cure, I think we disagree on that, only because I don't believe that we can save everyone. We as a world society have been so focused on saving people, that we create more then we destroy. That being said, population control will have to become a factor. Be it disease, famine, tsunami, whatever, the earth can't sustain our growth rate. Taking it out further, the universe can't sustain our growth rate. We try to kill virii for procreating, when we are an ever changing, always adapting virus. At some point the herd must be culled, or we all will die. This discussion is purely philosophical between us though, because as an old partner of mine said once "we stand firmly in the way of natural selection."

just my thoughts, luke

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Wow...I think that's the most you've ever said here, Luno.

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
oh i'd like to see a cure for aids, and while we're at it cancer too. personally i'm just as sick of seeing people shrivel up and die by inches as the rest of you here...

but would i take up smoking if cancer wasn't a question? or would i engage in tawdry sexual behavior if there was no std's....doubtful because i like my health and have a shred of pride (allbet it a tad more shiney when sober..)

what i do know is there is a deep and dark politico-medico relationship that has insiduously crept into our lives, rendering jugdements that conflict with the hypocratic oath, while mesmerizing us into false security dazzling us with many technological cha cha's

that's why i keep pointing to the social engeneering , subliminal to most, yet apparent to those tuned into it simply listening to subordinates parrot away at what they are told

take for instance the AMA at the turn of the century conducting a witch hunt , and eventually erradicating any alternate medicine. this was the start of the good ol' boys club who's mindset was constrained to a sole criterior, quite imperical in fact

but they got greedy resulting in thier grip loosening , and the options they had held back for decades began to appear

they could no longer convince the public they were the gods of medicine when thier doctrine was confronted by these sorts that produced results , and second opinions became common fare

that's just one example i can think of right now, i do find the politics behind medicine rather a battle bettween the self serving , and those that would like to serve, oh the threads we could have here eh?

another day my mates, sleep becons....

~Stevo~

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Yup Luno I'm dead serious. Maybe I'm just lucky. Without delving deep into my own sex life, I have been with the same man for 6 years and it is far from boring. But maybe we're more open than most, communicate well, or like I said are just lucky. I know several people that feel the way you do, and I'm certainly not saying there's anything wrong with it, but in my own experiences I wouldn't give up what I have now even if I was promised there'd be no consequences for having as much variety as I wanted (and trust me, I have a list). But I think a lot of people are turned off by the mere thought of only being with one person, I just like to shed a little light on the subject when I can. There are risks to both but you have to admit there is significantly more risk to the promiscuous.

And Stevo, you're right, if we got into the politics of medicine, the thread would never end. :rolleyes:

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
sex isnt the only way to contract it, theres multiple other ways including tatoos, iv drug use, DUI (what happens if you wreck, resulting in the need of a transfusion, though the supply is much better protected now), EMS refusing to use BSI, Opening a biohazard container to empty and reuse it even though youre not supposed to, etc.

And yes the disease does prevent the risky behaviour, in the 80s, before the whole HIV thing became mainstream, what were Trojans gross earnings in comparison to today? Why are there needle exchange programs out there? I guarantee you HIV is a major contributing factor in the limited growth of IV drug use (this is from personal experience, so dont even bother thinking youre more educated on street drug use because you read some book), BSI alone speaks for itself, why are tatoo parlors becoming more sterile, the list of evidence that the disease contributes to the self protective behavior goes on and on, it is undeniable, and undisputable under any rational argumentative term.

for reference, my family member got it from tatoos recieved in a much les than sterile environment, it is very hard for a heterosexual man to contract the disease in the course of normal sexual behaviours.