YoungbloodEMS

YoungbloodEMS

Forum Probie
Thanks bud

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I would ditch the pocket field guide

I carry
Pens, notepad, 2aa flashlight, shears, multitool, medical gloves, work (skel) gloves, and a tourniquet

EthanMD

Forum Ride Along
Wallet. Cell phone. Keys (if you want). Radio. Pen.

OP
OP
YoungbloodEMS

YoungbloodEMS

Forum Probie
Y'all have been extremely helpful! Thanks to all! Sorry I haven't replied I've been super duper busy with orientation with Acadian. I'm carrying sort of a hybrid of all of that. In the meantime until my Texas state EMS cert come in I'm working as a Van Operator to make some money.

So what I've been carrying the last few days:
In my various pockets (acadian pants have so many pockets):
Wallet
Informed EMS Field Guide BLS Version Ninth Edition
Rite in the Rain all-weather Vital Statistics notebook
Rite in the Rain all-weather standard notebook (these are both small and take up very little space)
Two pens
Pen light
Knife
Shears
On my belt:
Personal vehicle keys
Cell phone on belt clip
On my arm:
Watch
On my face:
Yellow tinted aviators (These are on my face a solid 98% of the time. I think they're starting to morph into my face.)

I need to get some kind of flashlight. I know that all seems like a LOT but I barely even notice they're there. Seriously. Acadian pants have like nineteen different pockets. So tacticool.

FNGperpetual

Forum Crew Member
I leave my personal keys in my backpack, in the unit. do not want to leave keys on scene by accident
NECESSITY:
2 pens, ( one extra, partner)
1 pen light, (stroke,trauma, flash light)
1 black marker ( write vitals on cot sheet, etc)
1 note pad
1 trauma shear
1 stethoscope
1 Knife. My knife has a glass punch and O2 key
4-6 Gloves
1 cellphone(on belt/otter box) with application- EMS BLS field guide, McGraw Hill drug guide,Calculator.
1-wallet with certifications and DL.

Optional: B/P cuff (johnny on the spot with the B/P), Pulse OX with belt clip, ALS field guide.

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Optional: B/P cuff (johnny on the spot with the B/P), Pulse OX with belt clip, ALS field guide.
Is it so hard to retrieve those items from the bag?

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
I'm going to be starting soon as a fresh basic in San Antonio, Texas and I would like to avoid having unnecessary equipment and looking like freaking Batman. Any ideas on what items are essential and what items are superfluous?
In all sincerity, bring your brain-critical thinking skills, situational awareness. Stethoscope, shears.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Man, food didn't get enough love here. Maybe it's because I am cursed with posting, but food. Meal prep that **** for the entire week, it's not hard. Preferably clean finger food (sammiches) or bring a fork. Doing so will keep you out of all the McDonalds bags, which you will appreciate down the road when you don't start to weigh more than the patients. Start at your local Aldi's if you are fortunate enough to have one of those gems.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Man, food didn't get enough love here. Maybe it's because I am cursed with posting, but food. Meal prep that **** for the entire week, it's not hard. Preferably clean finger food (sammiches) or bring a fork. Doing so will keep you out of all the McDonalds bags, which you will appreciate down the road when you don't start to weigh more than the patients. Start at your local Aldi's if you are fortunate enough to have one of those gems.
Oh no, I am right there with you! I once did the average of what I saved daily on prepping vs. buying on the go.

It was somewhere around ~$50/ day, x 3-4 shift work weeks= a couple hundred bucks easy.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Carrying a pulse ox on your belt? Is it safe to assume this is hanging on your rear view mirror between shifts?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_2188.JPG
Carrying a pulse ox on your belt? Is it safe to assume this is hanging on your rear view mirror between shifts?
Pfffth, I don't know about you?..but this is what all the "kool kidz" wear these days:rolleyes:

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
View attachment 3073
Pfffth, I don't know about you?..but this is what all the "kool kidz" wear these days:rolleyes:
I personally like to carry my Star Trek Tricorder and Phaser. Phaser set on stun of course.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I leave my personal keys in my backpack, in the unit. do not want to leave keys on scene by accident
NECESSITY:
2 pens, ( one extra, partner)
1 pen light, (stroke,trauma, flash light)
1 black marker ( write vitals on cot sheet, etc)
1 note pad
1 trauma shear
1 stethoscope
1 Knife. My knife has a glass punch and O2 key
4-6 Gloves
1 cellphone(on belt/otter box) with application- EMS BLS field guide, McGraw Hill drug guide,Calculator.
1-wallet with certifications and DL.

Where exactly do you fit all this stuff?

Never mind, I don't want to know...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
After recent events I bought a mic attachment for our handheld radios which makes it a whole lot more convenient

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I find a flashlight and good shears to be invaluable. Other than that, I can improvise.
This. The only other thing I carry is my own set of ears, but my shears have been with me since my L.A. County EMS days.

Let us not forget the power of a trusty "Surefire" either.