New basic, what should I bring with me?

YoungbloodEMS

Forum Probie
I'm going to be starting soon as a fresh basic in San Antonio, Texas and I would like to avoid having unnecessary equipment and looking like freaking Batman. Any ideas on what items are essential and what items are superfluous?

OP
OP
YoungbloodEMS

YoungbloodEMS

Forum Probie
Dang, so nothing medical eh? Is it just me or do I think I'm going to be doing way more than I'm actually going to be doing? In my head I imagine I'm going to be running around stopping bleeding, saving old ladies, jumping up and down on chests but in the back of my head I feel like if its serious my medic will take care of it and I'll be driving.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Dang, so nothing medical eh? Is it just me or do I think I'm going to be doing way more than I'm actually going to be doing? In my head I imagine I'm going to be running around stopping bleeding, saving old ladies, jumping up and down on chests but in the back of my head I feel like if its serious my medic will take care of it and I'll be driving.
Follow the thread, and advice Flying posted.

Lol, hopefully you're joking about your expectations, because if not, you're in for quite a long, or short career.

The majority of the beginning part of training is following your FTO's lead, and observing. Most calls are fairly routine, and benign, but this point has also been beaten to death on this forum.

The sad reality is that what's taught in class, and in books is vastly different from what the job actually entails. Anyhow, good luck to you, and congrats on landing your first gig.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
You can throw in your own stethoscope and shears on top of all that I guess. There's some action sure, but expect lots of walking (not running) and asking questions. Notebooks are lifesavers :)

OP
OP
YoungbloodEMS

YoungbloodEMS

Forum Probie
I skimmed through some of that and I think I'll bring the basics and figure out whats necessary as I progress. Thanks for the advice! Also, VentMonkey, I was joking. I figured what I learned in class is way different from what I'll learn on the job, I was just trying to confirm.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Bring whatever you have with you on a daily basis outside of work, plus a pen. I did start carrying a small pocket flashlight too since we typically don't have one on the box.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Definitely your usual (phone, wallet, keys), plus shears, a small flashlight, stethoscope (if you like), notepad, pen (and a spare pen), radio, gloves (2x pairs minimum).

On that list, if I had to only have one "medical" item, it'd be gloves.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I skimmed through some of that and I think I'll bring the basics and figure out whats necessary as I progress. Thanks for the advice! Also, VentMonkey, I was joking. I figured what I learned in class is way different from what I'll learn on the job, I was just trying to confirm.
Right on, no worries. Good luck out there, listen to what everyone else has said, and pack light.

The only thing that comes to mind for me in terms of advice would be to pack your own lunch, and snacks. You'll save a good chunk of money vs. buying all of your meals on shift.

OP
OP
YoungbloodEMS

YoungbloodEMS

Forum Probie
Yeah my problem is I always forget to pack a lunch/snacks and I don't eat fast food so what's going to likely wind up happening is I'll just not eat hahah...

Specialized

Forum Crew Member
Aside from Wallet, keys and phone. I carry a small notepad, 2 pens, a flashlight, a stylus, and a handful of gloves. Whatever you think will be useful, but dont overdo it. Just remember, whatever you bring, you gotta carry it.

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
I carry my personal belongings (keys and whatnot), my penlight, my stethoscope, a pen or two, and a few "pocket PCRs" to keep notes on those calls you don't have time to input everything into the toughbook.

Don't forget food and a few bucks for fast food if you get time.

As stated many times before, and by yourself, no need to be batman.

(I also work BLS so your results may vary)

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I carry a bag.
In that bag:
- extra pants and shirt
- stethoscope
- sunflowers seeds
- (aforementioned) shnacks
- several pens
- charging cable/aux cable/ earbuds
- deodorant and razor

On me, I carry:
- knife (mostly used to open security gates)
- shears
- beanie cap
- penlight
- buzz-in keyfob (to track driving)
- O2 wrench (attached to fob)
- CA$H
- watch

I usually write my notes on monitor printer paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nholmesy

Forum Ride Along
I a bag.
- extra Uniform
- Snacks and water
- box of chepo pens
- charging cable for phone
- deodorant

On me.
- lots of gloves (cops never seem to have them when they need to touch or assist with Pt)
- Note pad and 2 pens
- steathascope
- pocket BLS field guide (love the Spanish translations, and med look up)
- Wallet
- watch
- phone

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Depends a lot on where exactly you're working. If you're with Acadian, you may well get some cool 911 stuff and want/need a Gerber, knife, etc. If you're with a non-911 service like RapidCare or whoever, it depends.

A decent stethescope, some gloves and a little reference book go a long way if you actually care about your job.

OP
OP
YoungbloodEMS

YoungbloodEMS

Forum Probie
Y'all have been extremely helpful! Many thanks! I've got a Littmann Lightweight II steth, and ADC palm style sphyg (even though I guess I'll be palpating NIBP mostly eh? Lol), basic shears, basic penlights, Informed EMS Field Guide BLS Version ninth edition, and some VS notebooks for notes. Not too Batman-y eh? Maybe Robin? Lol