Needing to Vent

OP
OP
C

crazycajun

Forum Captain
If you're off duty in South Carolina, you don't have a duty to act.

If no one is at the scene and there is potential life threatening injury you are required to act. DHEC EMS policy.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Any official state reference to back up those claims? Would this duty to act include when you have a car full of children and flammable goods?

See the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
No you do not have a duty to act in SC. In SC the FD has full control over all scenes.
It is ok to stop and help. But learn your laws first.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Choose your battles.

In my experience, the behavior of the VFD described by the OP is very much the norm.

Obviously not everyone is like that, and there are some outstanding ones, but they seem the exception rather than the rule.

Best thing to do is initiate civilian camouflage.

Have no markings on your vehicle, no lights, etc. Do not wear identifying outwear. Do not have a unique looking vehicle.

Rubber neck a little, to give the impression of a non responder as you drive by without stopping.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
BTW, call in an MVC here and/or just pass by and not stop will get you in some pretty deep water if DHEC finds out.

I have reviewed the South Carolina EMS Act, DHEC Regulation 61-7, and a few other documents. I have yet to see a single law which says you have "duty to act" when off-duty.

SC Bill 3710: EMS Act
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess118_2009-2010/bills/3710.htm

DHEC Regulation 61-7
http://www.scdhec.gov/administration/regs/docs/61-7.pdf

Also, Sasha is correct. You can only function as a first responder unless you are on the medical director's list for that county 911 service (ex: Current Employee), you are part of a volunteer or paid agency where you function as an EMT with the authority to do so granted by your service.

Until you provide me with a proper citation or a link to South Carolina Code that exclusively says you, as an off-duty (keyword) EMS Provider have duty and responsibility to act at the scene of an accident you drive by, I am going to have to put up the BS flag.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If no one is at the scene and there is potential life threatening injury you are required to act. DHEC EMS policy.

:) :)

Pretty funny words there...make a law up as you type?

How would you know if there is a potential life threatening injury if you never stopped?

If you never stopped, how would anyone know you were supposed to?

Logic Fail...

And yes my EMS career started in South Carolina...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
If 911 is called and your not on a responding vehicle, your not suppossed to be there. When those who are on the responding vehicle show up, they are in charge. Yes this guy sounded like an idiot threateneing to arrest you.

I have stopped at accidents and had certain potential problems. All ended amicably but may not have if I didn't handle it right.

Overzealous cops have been a problem. They thought I was involved in the accident or that my vehicle in their way. State troopers are alot less kind than other cops. You do not want to get into an argument with a trooper.

Overzealous FFs and EMS personnel have been a problem. They tried to backboard me. I had to convince them I was a bystander. That was after I helped 3 ambulance crews backboard the 3 actual patients.

The biggest problem has been overzealous citizens running around like a chicken with their head cutoff pulling patients in all sorts of directions with no reguard for c-spine. I have simply left such scenes without as much as a word.

You stop at your own risk.

OP
OP
C

crazycajun

Forum Captain
According to the meetings in both Feb and March at DHEC, EMT's and Paramedics are obligated to provide medical care regardless of county in an emergency situation even while off duty if the incident is life threatening. The question was asked how would you know if it is life threatening and DHEC stated that we are obligated to check. During a break someone asked what would happen if we don't stop. They were told that we need to remember this is an employ at will state and walked away.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
According to the meetings in both Feb and March at DHEC, EMT's and Paramedics are obligated to provide medical care regardless of county in an emergency situation even while off duty if the incident is life threatening. The question was asked how would you know if it is life threatening and DHEC stated that we are obligated to check. During a break someone asked what would happen if we don't stop. They were told that we need to remember this is an employ at will state and walked away.

You forgot to include your source. Also, are you saying that you are basing your assumption on duty to act on second-hand information that may or may not have been said, informally off the record as someone was walking away? You seriously need to review EMS Law.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
As above.

Until you can provide a reference for what you claim, it is nothing more than hearsay.

reaper

Working Bum
Sorry DHEC would never state that. It is not in policy or law. I know for a fact.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Logic Fail...

That is a great phrase, I am going to have to start using it.

However, there are a great many logic fails in EMS, so I wouldn't use that as the measure of BS or not.

I know of nowhere in any part of the US that requires an off duty responder to act as part of a states (or any other) law, ordinance, code, etc.

I know a handful municipals that require their employees to respond off duty within the jurisdictional limits. All of those services are fire based EMS and all of those services have a off duty recall caviat as part of the employment agreement.

They are also represented by a union (IAFF) and that caviat has been accepted for as long as anyone I know there can remember.

Sasha

Forum Chief

South Carolina does not have a duty to act, when you're off duty.

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
Okay so doesnt all ems have some kind of identification they are supposed to carry at all times? Especially when your first responding? Also what if the emt- intermediate started some advanced skills and the volly firefighter responder shows up? In Texas most( 80%.. Seriously) volly fire Dept. Are emt- b's any how? I mean I would understand if you are on the same skill level or the responder was higher educated... but if a basic showed up and told anyone that took longer then a three month course to leave a scene, there is a serous flaw somewhere at the exspense of the people who we are trying to help.

Tommerag

What day is it?
Okay so doesnt all ems have some kind of identification they are supposed to carry at all times? Especially when your first responding? Also what if the emt- intermediate started some advanced skills and the volly firefighter responder shows up? In Texas most( 80%.. Seriously) volly fire Dept. Are emt- b's any how? I mean I would understand if you are on the same skill level or the responder was higher educated... but if a basic showed up and told anyone that took longer then a three month course to leave a scene, there is a serous flaw somewhere at the exspense of the people who we are trying to help.

First if an EMT-I, etc stops at a scene and starts some type of ALS skill and they are off duty they can get into trouble for that one. If its not your call and you stop to help it is not your scene, whether you have more training or not. You are a bystander as it has already been stated. Just because you are the first person there doesn't mean you are in control.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

Why would you be doing anything more than holding c-spine or BLS skills when you are off duty? There is no point in advanced level skills when you don't have the proper equipment.

Also, we have wallet cards that the state gives us (NR doesnt mean jack as far as ability to practice in a state goes). However, we are not required to carry them when working. If you come up on a scene and for some reason or another you feel you need to stop to give aid to another provider (not exactly sure why you would), be sure to have your card handy, you are not an EMT until I see a non-expired dept of health board of EMS card with the same name on it that is on your driver's license bearing a photo of you, even then, you will more than likely end up holding c-spine if anything.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Why would you be doing anything more than holding c-spine or BLS skills when you are off duty? There is no point in advanced level skills when you don't have the proper equipment.

Also, we have wallet cards that the state gives us (NR doesnt mean jack as far as ability to practice in a state goes). However, we are not required to carry them when working. If you come up on a scene and for some reason or another you feel you need to stop to give aid to another provider (not exactly sure why you would), be sure to have your card handy, you are not an EMT until I see a non-expired dept of health board of EMS card with the same name on it that is on your driver's license bearing a photo of you, even then, you will more than likely end up holding c-spine if anything.

If I am not mistaken, TN is one of the few states that automatically recognize out of state credentials in extraordinary situations.

I understand the law was specifically put in place for disaster situations, but is not specifically limited to such from various disaster related conversations I have had elsewhere.

Do you have more accurate insight on this?

Emt512

Forum Crew Member

Well not sure where you guys are from but in good ole Texas .. Lol... Last time I checked you are suppose to carry you Texas dept of health card at all times when working .. Also I thought that

Emt512

Forum Crew Member

Well not sure where you guys are from but in good ole Texas .. Lol... Last time I checked you are suppose to carry you Texas dept of health card at all times when working .. Also I thought that the guy had a jump bag ... how far can first responders can go in treatment ? Outside and inside their jurisdiction ?