Need some support for the NREMT

pfallas

Forum Ride Along
Hello! About 2 years ago I completed my EMT course, and since then I have tried to pass the test twice and have failed both times. I know you all must be thinking "Wow only 2 attempts in 2 years?" Yeah I know I super lagged it along with a lot of personal life issues that did not allow me to complete the test.

Now I am coming to you all for advice, or guidance or any type of help. I know I get 3 chances to pass the NREMT, 2 of which I have already used. I have one more shot at this and was wondering if you guys have any specific book I should buy, or if I should just take the refresher course now before I give it my 3rd try. Is there such thing as a tutor for EMS courses? Any advice helps right now. I know this is my true calling and im willing to do whatever it takes to get my certification. Thanks guys!

Tony Ippolito

Forum Probie
Understand that the question will have 3 right answers. You have to determine the answer that is most right in regards to your assessment.
Example
33 y/o patient shortness of breath and open fracture of the ankle, what's the most proper tx?
Splint ankle
Vitals
Oxygen
Kick him in the face

Obviously 3 of those are correct, but oxygen is the closest to the first thing in your patient assessment. This was what saved my butt on national registry. Understanding that.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Understand that the question will have 3 right answers. You have to determine the answer that is most right in regards to your assessment.
Example
33 y/o patient shortness of breath and open fracture of the ankle, what's the most proper tx?
Splint ankle
Vitals
Oxygen
Kick him in the face

Obviously 3 of those are correct, but oxygen is the closest to the first thing in your patient assessment. This was what saved my butt on national registry. Understanding that.
that's a little misleading.

It might ask what the FIRST course of treatment will be, or the most appropriate for patient condition, but it's not going to say "what's the treatment" and give 3 potentially valid answers.
Make sure you throughly read the questions. Look for words that will change your answers, like "what's the first course of action", "which is the most appropriate for patient condition", "which is incorrect" etc.

Tony Ippolito

Forum Probie
that's a little misleading.

It might ask what the FIRST course of treatment will be, or the most appropriate for patient condition, but it's not going to say "what's the treatment" and give 3 potentially valid answers.
Make sure you throughly read the questions. Look for words that will change your answers, like "what's the first course of action", "which is the most appropriate for patient condition", "which is incorrect" etc.
No, I literally remember a question similar to that one, minus the kick in the face answer lol.

Basically, they will try to get you to do something before it should be done in your assessment. The questions are critical thinking, not usually just blanket questions.
Just study up, and remember your assessments, and what you read in the book, not what your instructors told you. Your instructors didn't write the curriculum(well I guess if you're lucky they did).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You also only have 2 years to take the test, and just so you know you'll need to retake your practical testing. The results at only good for 1 year