Need help with a question.

ethomas9449

Forum Probie
I payed money for a EMT-B Prep test to check my knowledge, I just had a question that I thought was very poorly worded and want to see if i was correct.

A construction worker has fallen from a height of 10 feet. When you arrive, he is conscious, but confused about how the fall occurred. He tells you that he is having difficulty breathing and cannot feel his legs. What is the first priority in the initial assessment of this patient?

You chose: Open the airway.
The correct answer for this question is: Take spinal precautions.

I assumed that since C-spine precautions would be considered in the Scene-size up portion, and you would than work with the initial assessment of the ABC's. Maybe i'm wrong I just wanted to get some other opinions.

JPINFV

Gadfly
What were all of the options?

However, I would definately choose spinal precautions over "open airway." For starters, if he's talking his airway is open.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I payed money for a EMT-B Prep test to check my knowledge, I just had a question that I thought was very poorly worded and want to see if i was correct.

A construction worker has fallen from a height of 10 feet. When you arrive, he is conscious, but confused about how the fall occurred. He tells you that he is having difficulty breathing and cannot feel his legs. What is the first priority in the initial assessment of this patient?

You chose: Open the airway.
The correct answer for this question is: Take spinal precautions.

I assumed that since C-spine precautions would be considered in the Scene-size up portion, and you would than work with the initial assessment of the ABC's. Maybe i'm wrong I just wanted to get some other opinions.

why would you open the airway if he is talking to you?

JPINFV

Gadfly
That exam document isn't going to help for a written exam.

OP
OP
ethomas9449

ethomas9449

Forum Probie
A. Open the airway.
B. Take spinal precautions.
C. Obtain a blood presssure.
D. Check for distal pulses, motor function, and sensation.

Where all of the options, I was just thinking that a fall of 15' is considered traumatic, I thought of it as a scenario that you would initially take c-spine due it being a consideration of the scene size-up, So I basically over looked it. Well thanks for the help!

JPINFV

Gadfly
A- Talking=grossly intact.

C-not that far yet.

D- Not even close to being that far in an assessment yet.

JPINFV

Gadfly
the exam document still shows the same order of steps they expect in a written evaluation

Taking that route, then it is a bad question since it specifically mentions "initial assessment." The bigger issue is that checklists like that are in no way applicable in real life. No one walks onto an emergency scene and says "BSI, scene safety..." In fact, most of the assessment and decision making is done subconsciously. In most cases, determining mechanism, ABC, LOC, c-spine, general impression, and initial transport decision (may change as more information comes in) is all going to occur in the span of less than 30 seconds. In fact, out of that list the only thing that can't be done as you approach the patient is c-spine. Sure, you might not have A/Ox4, but you can generally see if the patient is alert, combative, confused, talking, etc before you even introduce yourself.

OP
OP
ethomas9449

ethomas9449

Forum Probie
While I'm here this is the other one I missed
Question #2 : After responding to a call for a respiratory arrest, you find the patient lying on the floor between her bed and the wall. You and your partner move her out into the middle of the room where there is space to work. This move is considered:

You chose: inappropriate without the use of a cervical collar and backboard.
The correct answer for this question is: an urgent move.

A. an urgent move.
B. a nonurgent move.
C. inappropriate without the use of a cervical collar and backboard.
D. foolish because of the potential for a back injury to the EMT-Bs.

I don't know if these are even close to what the NREMT offers, but if it is I need to stop over analyzing.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Will a patient in respiratory arrest die without immediate intervention?

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
While I'm here this is the other one I missed
Question #2 : After responding to a call for a respiratory arrest, you find the patient lying on the floor between her bed and the wall. You and your partner move her out into the middle of the room where there is space to work. This move is considered:

You chose: inappropriate without the use of a cervical collar and backboard.
The correct answer for this question is: an urgent move.

A. an urgent move.
B. a nonurgent move.
C. inappropriate without the use of a cervical collar and backboard.
D. foolish because of the potential for a back injury to the EMT-Bs.

I don't know if these are even close to what the NREMT offers, but if it is I need to stop over analyzing.

if there is no space to ventilate this patient, then an urgent move is appropriate to get her into an area where you can properly work

OP
OP
ethomas9449

ethomas9449

Forum Probie
Yeah that makes sense now, better paralyzed then dead. Well thanks for the tips and help, gonna go over just CPR and take my NREMT tomorrow morning. I appreciate all the help guys!

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
A. Open the airway.
B. Take spinal precautions.
C. Obtain a blood presssure.
D. Check for distal pulses, motor function, and sensation.

Where all of the options, I was just thinking that a fall of 15' is considered traumatic, I thought of it as a scenario that you would initially take c-spine due it being a consideration of the scene size-up, So I basically over looked it. Well thanks for the help!

FYI, ANY fall is considered traumatic. A fall of 15' may be considered a severe MOI. If I remember correctly, I've heard that and 3x the patients height. Either way, C-Spine comes first.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Yeah I feel like an idiot. ><

Sometimes you will. If the thread were "Who doesn't feel like an idiot sometimes?" it'd be blank.

The reality of the profession is in the real world, sometimes you do miss the obvious and sometimes the consequences are great.

Make all the mistakes you can on paper, like you're doing. Then learn from them.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sometimes you will. If the thread were "Who doesn't feel like an idiot sometimes?" it'd be blank.

See, I have the opposite problem. If the question was "Who doesn't not feel like an idiot sometimes?" My hand would be up.

Angel

Paramedic
rationale is really important...what book are you using?
goodluck

Last edited by a moderator: