Need Help - Failed NREMT-Advanced Three Times

JT25

Forum Probie
Good Morning. I just got my results for the EMT-A NREMT exam and it was not good. This is the third time I have not passed. And now I have to take a remedial course. Has anyone taken one of these before? What can be expected of this? Very frustrated with this entire process.....

Thanks

OP
OP
JT25

JT25

Forum Probie
I have unsuccessfully take the "A" test three times. Each time a different section gets me. I have read the book from my class to the point of memorization, used a test prep web site and study guides. I feel clueless at this time and I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
A remedial course is essentially a "refresher" which is an abbreviated recap of the first course. Advice...start studying. And google or youtube HOW to answer those types of questions.

OP
OP
JT25

JT25

Forum Probie
Thanks

OP
OP
JT25

JT25

Forum Probie
I have used my text book from class, a study guide book, and the website MedicTests

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
What are your weak areas? Make flash cards with facts about those and review them every day. I like the free program Anki: https://apps.ankiweb.net/
Every practice question you do, make flash cards about the things you don't understand. If you don't understand something, look it up and make more flash cards.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I have unsuccessfully take the "A" test three times. Each time a different section gets me. I have read the book from my class to the point of memorization, used a test prep web site and study guides. I feel clueless at this time and I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

What prep tools did you use? What parts aren't you passing?

If I were in your shoes I'd:

1. Reach out to your teachers and surrounding schools/community colleges to see if they offer tutoring
2. Take a refresher course
3. Use JBLearning's test prep
4. If all else fails, I'd take the course over again through a different institution

Good luck!

exitloy

Forum Probie
i actually just completed my 24 hour refresher, and i can tell you it was a nightmare.

Virtually impossible to find information on how to do it.
The info you do find is a bunch of numbers and credit hours you need, places in different states, nothing locally for me anyway. but how do you get them?
You used to be able to do a 24 online refresher but i was told they discontinued it.

the ONLY reason i was able to complete my refresher is through talking with my old EMT teacher who talked to our director of EMT on the process (even through it, it was something new to him that many dont do apparently) and i had to go to different seminars and attend old EMT courses that had to do with my credits. it required me to obtain their class schedule and show to their lectures.

the most STRESSFUL thing was that, if a lecture was about ventilation, and i needed 1.5 hours of credit and wanted to attend, i had to stay for the ENTIRE lecture.of 4-5 hours, or they cant count me as present due to you having to sign this thing saying you stayed the whole time. I'd say i put in about 80+ hours into my refresher along with like 6 modules of online stuff i couldn't do in the classroom (guidelines stating you cand do up to like 6 credits online or something)

Honestly, after all that i'm pretty agitated at how ridiculous it was, but more so that the procedure was only possible with luckily knowing the right people or i wouldve been lost.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Unsure where you live, however refreshers are quite common in the majority of states I am familiar with, And a 24 hour refresher is exactly that, 24 hours, covers all topics required.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've been teaching AEMT and my students use MedicTests with excellent results. Currently at a 95% first-time pass rate.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I question your statements about not being able to find 24 hrs of CE, in 2 years. I also question your ethics in trying to game the system by leaving early, then *****ing about having to stay in order to obtain hours.

OP
OP
JT25

JT25

Forum Probie
So thanks for the info about Flashcards I am jumping on that today.
Nomadic Medic would it be possible to email you? I have a couple of questions on how you use the MedicTests site.
I spoke with my instructor from school and my preceptor yesterday. Both of them are offering their assistance to complete this mission. Actually the service I did clinicals with has offered to let me jump in on their refresher class. So I am still in the fight.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
i actually just completed my 24 hour refresher, and i can tell you it was a nightmare.

Virtually impossible to find information on how to do it.
The info you do find is a bunch of numbers and credit hours you need, places in different states, nothing locally for me anyway. but how do you get them?
You used to be able to do a 24 online refresher but i was told they discontinued it.

the ONLY reason i was able to complete my refresher is through talking with my old EMT teacher who talked to our director of EMT on the process (even through it, it was something new to him that many dont do apparently) and i had to go to different seminars and attend old EMT courses that had to do with my credits. it required me to obtain their class schedule and show to their lectures.

the most STRESSFUL thing was that, if a lecture was about ventilation, and i needed 1.5 hours of credit and wanted to attend, i had to stay for the ENTIRE lecture.of 4-5 hours, or they cant count me as present due to you having to sign this thing saying you stayed the whole time. I'd say i put in about 80+ hours into my refresher along with like 6 modules of online stuff i couldn't do in the classroom (guidelines stating you cand do up to like 6 credits online or something)

Honestly, after all that i'm pretty agitated at how ridiculous it was, but more so that the procedure was only possible with luckily knowing the right people or i wouldve been lost.

Don't waste you time with 24 hour refresher courses unless you need them for some kind of authorization to retest or something like that.

I do all of my required EMS CE online through my hospital systems EMS group, but it is free and available to the public (and honestly I typically do it all in the month before my recent is due). You have to look at which hours fit which categories but it honestly isn't that bad.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Some things can't be recertified by exam, and I can use most of my CEs to renew all of my licenses and board certs.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
So thanks for the info about Flashcards I am jumping on that today.
Nomadic Medic would it be possible to email you? I have a couple of questions on how you use the MedicTests site.
I spoke with my instructor from school and my preceptor yesterday. Both of them are offering their assistance to complete this mission. Actually the service I did clinicals with has offered to let me jump in on their refresher class. So I am still in the fight.

Sure. Message away. And by the way, for those posters who are saying “don’t take a refresher”, this original poster needs to take a refresher because he failed the cognitive portion three times. He needs to take a refresher course before he can test again

OP
OP
JT25

JT25

Forum Probie
Yep I have to take a refresher to sit for the Exam again.......

OP
OP
JT25

JT25

Forum Probie
Sure. Message away. And by the way, for those posters who are saying “don’t take a refresher”, this original poster needs to take a refresher because he failed the cognitive portion three times. He needs to take a refresher course before he can test again
I am curious as to how you assign MedicTest. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
main thing is just to follow the flow chart- bsi, scene safety, and abc's come first before EVERYTHING, do not take any shortcuts to the secondary assessment, learn signs and symptoms and ob/gyn, and practice patient sims everyday to make you think. treat the PATIENT and not the machines. for example, if patient has stable vitals, but something seems off about the patient, treat the PATIENT, not based off vitals. just know signs and symptoms and flow chart like the back of your hand.