Nationally Registered, but waiting on the state...

RunnerD1987

Forum Crew Member
Can you begin duties and work as a EMT basic? In addition the state you live in accepts the NREMT for Basics.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If I am a doctor in South Carolina and I move to Florida...can I just set up a practice on my SC license or would I need to get a FL license even though everyone in every state knows a MD is a MD?

The answer is no, as that would be illegal and you are not licensed to work in that state.

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
Just as I understand it (and I'm not providing legal counsel here), passing the NREMT and possessing the NREMT certification does not provide the authority to practice as an EMS provider in any state. It is still the state's certification/licensure to grant. NREMT is, in most states, merely a testing mechanism to grant initial certification and/or a means for recertification.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Correct... Certification indicates to the licensing bodies that you have passed the NREMT. You now need a license to practice.

That is, assuming you know the state laws you are in and that they accept the NREMT because my understanding is not all states accept it, some require you pass a state exam too. Practical AND written.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
NREMT = Board Certification (more or less)

NREMT ≠ License to practice (I think it even says this on the card)

With board certification you can obtain a state's permission to work. You can't work until you get the state's permission, however. If you work in a state without their permission and their state law requires you to have their permission then you are practicing without a license. Such a violation might make you ineligible to work in any state in the future.

sdennislee

Forum Crew Member
NREMT also facilitates filing for reciprocity in some states.

I work in Alaska but live in Ohio. To gain reciprocity in Ohio, I am required to submit my AK State certification, NREMT certification and only in Ohio pass a 12 hour advanced airway course.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Benjack, that's the case for a few other states as well. I think it's patently ridiculous and frankly insulting. They essentially say "the moment you are no longer employed as an EMT you are literally not an EMT in this state!". It demeans us as professionals.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It demeans us as professionals.

Hate to say it, but many people in EMS aren't professionals, unfortunately.

In NV you can get a state certification pretty easily, submit your NREMT an application and 10$ if I remember correctly and your good to go. Now getting an Ambulance Attendant's License, thats a different story.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Ultimately, it's up to the department. I'm in NJ for 5 months out of the year and the squad took my national registry. I have no idea whether they can legally do that, but nobody has told me otherwise. I would make sure you have state certification, just to be sure you don't get into any legal trouble.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Read B-Stones post... I know of no states that does not require a license, and the NREMT is NOT a license.

As far as being hired by a service before you can be licensed...well... for a basic or intermediate I do not agree, but I am a firm believer that unless you are a full time healthcare provider (RN or better) you should not be allowed to be licensed as a medic as the risks are too high if skills are dull from not practicing. But thats for another thread.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Ultimately, it's up to the department. I'm in NJ for 5 months out of the year and the squad took my national registry. I have no idea whether they can legally do that, but nobody has told me otherwise. I would make sure you have state certification, just to be sure you don't get into any legal trouble.

No, it is not. From the back of your national card: "You must present your national EMS certification to the proper state authorities to receive state licensure in order to practice."

You are practicing without a license if you are working or volunteering on a licensed EMS vehicle or a licensed service. Practicing without a license could get your agency in some trouble, but you will certain be held liable for doing so should an investigation be opened.

Sent from my out of area communications device.

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
As others have said, NREMT only grants you the ability to practice if you work on Federal Property IIRC, to work in the state you must have your state cert. I know that TX is this way because I was Nationally registered for 7 weeks before the state finally issued my EMT and about the same for my LP.

Mike K

Forum Ride Along
So is getting a county license a state license? Because I just sent two money orders to my county. One to the county and one to EMT certification fund.