National Registry certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdude

Forum Probie
What is the purpose of national registry certification?

I am a state licensed EMT-B and have been since 2011. But I am confused about the national registry. Is there any benefit to having national registry certification? I attempted to become certified via their website, nremt.org but I was not able to. It appears that only new graduates can obtain certification, or am I incorrect? Any information on this subject would be helpful.

Bigdude

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Anyone can obtain certification. But you must do a psychomotor and cognitive (practical and written) examination as well. It is great if you are ever planning on leaving your area. What state are you from?

MrJones

Iconoclast
popcorn-blank.gif

OP
OP
bigdude

bigdude

Forum Probie
Anyone can obtain certification. But you must do a psychomotor and cognitive (practical and written) examination as well. It is great if you are ever planning on leaving your area. What state are you from?

I am from Michigan. So you are saying I must retake the psychomotor and cognitive exams? I already passed those (back in 2011) and have kept my license fully active.

OP
OP
bigdude

bigdude

Forum Probie
My current employer does not require national registry certification but from what I have read on this forum, some employers do. Now I am a little worried that I may need national registry certification in the future. Can anyone attest to the need of national registry certification in the state of Michigan? Thanks again.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I am from Michigan. So you are saying I must retake the psychomotor and cognitive exams? I already passed those (back in 2011) and have kept my license fully active.
The short answer is yes. If you were NREMT certified initially and you've maintained your certification since then, there may be a process available to you to regain certification. That's basically a LOT of CE. Your other option (probably less expensive) is simply taking the cognitive and psychomotor exams.

Also, this topic can be a bit "touchy" for some and it has the potential to degrade into a bit of a show.

For everyone, please keep this civil and on-topic.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Oftentimes, it is a State issue rather than an agency issue. In CA, the State EMSA simply uses the NR as a standard for initial certification. Once you are State certified /licensed, you do not need to maintain you NR to maintain your State cert. I have not seen any agencies here requiring it for employment, rather, some will allow you to apply from out of state with NR with the understanding that you need to be State certified by appointment date.

If I were to leave the State, I may need to get my NR again (as I have lapsed).

So the short version of this long answer is:
Check with the State you plan to work in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
BigDude...

I'm not sure what your long-term plans are, but if you intend to move to another state and function as an EMT, it's likely worthwhile to obtain NR certification. While it isn't quite nationally recognized, it has been catching on pretty well.

Your profile also says you are a RN. That may make things different regarding working in a different state. I can't speak towards that.

OP
OP
bigdude

bigdude

Forum Probie
Thanks for the information. I am glad I asked about this as I plan on moving out of state (in the distant future). Which brings me to another question. I plan on obtaining my EMT-P license this year while living in Michigan. Can I simply just complete the required EMT-P course work and pass the NREMT-P exam thereby making my national registry certification up-to-date (with my new license level)?

BigDude...

Your profile also says you are a RN. That may make things different regarding working in a different state. I can't speak towards that.

I wouldn't expect you to know about RN licensing since you are not a RN and that is not what I am asking about. But FYI, transferring your RN license to another is quite easy and straight forward. There are two methods. First method, there are 25 "compact" states in the US. If your primary residence is one of those 25 states, you essentially have a multi-state RN license and can practice nursing in any of the 25 states without applying for additional licensure or moving/relocating. Second method, if your primary residence is NOT one of the 25 states, you simply apply to that state's BON for licensure and pay an application fee/pass a background check. No exams to take.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thread closed for useless bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.