National Ambulance UAE

Expat2013

Forum Ride Along
I am interested in experiencing the culture in the UAE; I am well-traveled and after talking with another board member; is there a way you can PM me a contact person in HR?

The other member helpfully provided me with the general email address and after sending my CV; I received an auto-reply response.

Is there any additional steps I should take?

Depending on the forum members schedules; I plan to visit UAE later this month. PM me if anyone would like to jet ski or sight see on a couple of their days off.

Varganorb84

Forum Probie
No luck for me as a hungarian :(

"Dear Norbert,

Thank you for your email but I regret to advise that we do not currently have any vacancies and we are only taking paramedics from certain countries that credentials are accepted by the Health Authority here without doing examination. Regrettably Hungry is not one of those countries.

Best wishes for the future."

Expat2013

Forum Ride Along
Pm

Sclutz,
Thanks for the PM, PM sent

Medicrickj,
I appreciate the PM, thanks for the details.

Guys, Medicrickj sent me a PM with details. I appreciate him for doing that. I was looking for information both good or bad.
You all be safe out there!!

Can you PM me with some details also please?

kevoiddy

Forum Ride Along
Abu Dhabi Paramedic

Hi all,

I know this thread is quite old at this stage and for that I apologise. My name is Paddy and I am an Irish Citizen just finishing my Bsc (hons) Paramedic Practitioner course in the United Kingdom. I am recently fully registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) in the United Kindgdom. Half of my family have relocated to Bahrain to work as doctors and I have been lucky enough to spend a week with the King Hamad ambulance service over there. I really enjoyed the culture and life in Bahrain and I was advised by the head of the ambulance service that a paramedic practitioner job for me would be more suited to Abu Dhabi or Qatar.

I am planning on spending at least 2/3 years working in the United Kingdom first so I can be a good paramedic , with the hope of then transferring over to the UAE and see where to go from there. Anyone with any information on rotations, life, pay and anything else would be much appreciated. I have been on the Abu Dhabi National Ambulance Service website to see how things work over there.

Many thanks,

Paddy.

once

Forum Ride Along
I worked there for over a year Yes the money can be good… but in my opinion it is not worth it. My wife and I found that generally speaking Emirates are the most racist people on the face of the earth. Those working there with the educted professonals will have a different experience, but at ground level you wil encounter blatant racism towards Pakistanis, Indiands, Philipimos, and behind your back Emirates don't want westerners there. Everything in the UAE is about "face value" only. I attended car accidents where if there were two patients, one an Emirate with a scratch… he would be taken to hospital in prefernce to the Pakistani bleeding to death in the gutter….true… no exageration. There are many examples I could provide of the blatant racism, rudeness and pure arogance of the general Emirate population at street level. Women particulalry (wetern women) are seen as nothing more than a target for harassesement to pecure sex…. I have seen this first hand, most of the average men are pigs who have no respect for western women. You really need a thick skin to turn a blind eye to the racism, but if you can't ignore this, then it will be a very stressful time. Stay home amongst friendly people in a friendly country.. your sanity will thank you for it

SkiMedic

Forum Probie
Hey Guys,
I am looking at going to the Middle East and have heard alittle about National Ambulance in Abu Dhabi. Does anyone have any info on them, pay, rotations, living conditions? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Jay

While working at NAC would be a tremendous improvement for Medics working for the London Ambulance Service or the other urban UK ambulance trusts, most others would find the job untenable.

IF you are to work in the Middle East, Abu Dhabi is without a doubt the best city in which to live. The locals are friendly, very accepting of western ways and religions. Abu Dhabi is a more family freindly town with a laid back lifestyle. If you want a big night life, Dubai is an hour away by car. Life for a western expat is great so long as you can close your eyes to how Asian expats are treated.

National Ambulance is a joint Police/Private Sector corporation created to take over the ambulance functions of the Abu Dhabi Police who are the sole "999" (911) provider. In the spring of 2014 the company also took over control of the EMS in the "Northern Emirates" of Sharjah, Fujairah, Ras al Kaman, Ajman, and Umm al Quwain. The emirates are roughly the equivalent of US states but with far less autonomy. The Northern Emirates is a BLS only service.

It should be understood that the Police who have ultimate control of ambulance services outside of the Emirate of Dubai, see the service as a transportation service, not as an Emergency Medical Service and therefore have been extremely reluctant to provide appropriate equipment or meds to the western medics hired by National Ambulance. As of September of 2014 most of the NAC medics still have no, or very incomplete med kits though most do have intubation equipment. American, Australian, New Zealand, and South African Medics should be forewarned that the service is predominantly British and the system uses the British JRCALC medical guidleines which have a far more limited scope of practice than that to which Paramedics from those nations are accustomed.

Pay is at the low end of the region, far less than paid by Hamad in Qatar. There is no rotation. This is a residential contract, the company provides 35 days paid leave per year and will pay for one round trip ticket on the cheapest airline possible per year. Living conditions are good, each Paramedic is assigned a private residence of good quality. The health insurance provided is substandard and although their initial job offers stated the health insurance would be valid in the UAE AND in the employees home country, that has not been the case.

This is an accompanied contract and the company will pay transportation expenses, provide appropriate housing, and health insurance for a spouse and dependent children. The company also provides 40,000 dirham of tuition assistance for dependent children from age 5 through 17. Please note, tuition at what most westerners would find an acceptable school is significantly higher than the 40,000 dirham allotment.

Working conditions vary by assignment. I will detail the conditions of the police ambulance service as that is what most prospects are interested in. The conditions for crews assigned to the Police Ambulance service (known as EPS) range from poor to very poor. Equipment is generally inadequate and often in poor repair. Ambulances range from locally produced knock offs of Type II vans to very dangerously configured European style Sprinters. All ambulances are driven by police "drivers" who drive, ONLY. The ambulances are generally staffed by two EMTs from either Jordan or the Phillipines or sometimes an EMT and a Medic. Medics also staff Response cars though one station has a full staff of Paramedics but no driver assigned to their response car so they do not respond to calls and have not for over a year.

Internally, National Ambulance recently underwent a fundamental change in how they treat staff. Initially, they could be described as terrific. That changed to a much more adversarial attitude likely caused by cash flow problems stemming from several low ball contract bids for EMS services. The company no longer pays overtime and staff are required to work at least an additional 24 hours per month of unpaid overtime. Crews assigned to the Western Region work a 96 hour shift every 12 days. The company has elected to not count 12 hours of each of those 4 days as time "worked" and requires the crews of the Western Region to work an additional 48 hours of unpaid overtime boosting those crews from an average work week of 60 hours to an average work week of 72 hours.

SkiMedic

Forum Probie
While working at NAC would be a tremendous improvement for Medics working for the London Ambulance Service or the other urban UK ambulance trusts, most others would find the job untenable.

IF you are to work in the Middle East, Abu Dhabi is without a doubt the best city in which to live. The locals are friendly, very accepting of western ways and religions. Abu Dhabi is a more family friendly town with a laid back lifestyle. If you want a big night life, Dubai is an hour away by car. Life for a western expat is great so long as you can close your eyes to how Asian expats are treated.

National Ambulance is a joint Police/Private Sector corporation created to take over the ambulance functions of the Abu Dhabi Police who are the sole "999" (911) provider. In the spring of 2014 the company also took over control of the EMS in the "Northern Emirates" of Sharjah, Fujairah, Ras al Kaman, Ajman, and Umm al Quwain. The emirates are roughly the equivalent of US states but with far less autonomy. The Northern Emirates is a BLS only service.

It should be understood that the Police who have ultimate control of ambulance services outside of the Emirate of Dubai, see the service as a transportation service, not as an Emergency Medical Service and therefore have been extremely reluctant to provide appropriate equipment or meds to the western medics hired by National Ambulance. As of September of 2014 most of the NAC medics still have no, or very incomplete med kits though most do have intubation equipment. American, Australian, New Zealand, and South African Medics should be forewarned that the service is predominantly British and the system uses the British JRCALC medical guidleines which have a far more limited scope of practice than that to which Paramedics from those nations are accustomed.

Pay is at the low end of the region, far less than paid by Hamad in Qatar. There is no rotation. This is a residential contract, the company provides 35 days paid leave per year and will pay for one round trip ticket on the cheapest airline possible per year. Living conditions are good, each Paramedic is assigned a private residence of good quality. The health insurance provided is substandard and although their initial job offers stated the health insurance would be valid in the UAE AND in the employees home country, that has not been the case.

This is an accompanied contract and the company will pay transportation expenses, provide appropriate housing, and health insurance for a spouse and dependent children. The company also provides 40,000 dirham of tuition assistance for dependent children from age 5 through 17. Please note, tuition at what most westerners would find an acceptable school is significantly higher than the 40,000 dirham allotment.

Working conditions vary by assignment. I will detail the conditions of the police ambulance service as that is what most prospects are interested in. The conditions for crews assigned to the Police Ambulance service (known as EPS) range from poor to very poor. Equipment is generally inadequate and often in poor repair. Ambulances range from locally produced knock offs of Type II vans to very dangerously configured European style Sprinters. All ambulances are driven by police "drivers" who drive, ONLY. The ambulances are generally staffed by two EMTs from either Jordan or the Phillipines or sometimes an EMT and a Medic. Medics also staff Response cars though one station has a full staff of Paramedics but no driver assigned to their response car so they do not respond to calls and have not for over a year.

Internally, National Ambulance recently underwent a fundamental change in how they treat staff. Initially, they could be described as terrific. That changed to a much more adversarial attitude likely caused by cash flow problems stemming from several low ball contract bids for EMS services. The company no longer pays overtime and staff are required to work at least an additional 24 hours per month of unpaid overtime. Crews assigned to the Western Region work a 96 hour shift every 12 days. The company has elected to not count 12 hours of each of those 4 days as time "worked" and requires the crews of the Western Region to work an additional 48 hours of unpaid overtime boosting those crews from an average work week of 60 hours to an average work week of 72 hours.

If you are considering a position with National Ambulance I would advise you to require a much higher salary than the 288,000 dirham/year they currently offer and that you speak with some experienced Middle East "contractors" on how to maintain a lifestyle that will leave you free to bug out.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Do they require CCT?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Well right now I'll take anything I can get. Thanks for the info. Are you there currently?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Also, I see the expression of interest has been put on hold.

Bruceone

Forum Ride Along
I also worked at National Ambulance Company. Comments by the above are accurate. Think very seriously before acccepting any offer from them. The way the position was sold to me was very over inflated. There is no concept of genuine Occupational Health &B Safety, it is lip service only for the sake of ticking a box. The so called police "drivers" (I use that term loosely) are pathetic, they have noo ambulance driver training, do not obey road rules and are very dangerous i.e they will drive back to station at 160kph (100 k'sd over the limit) and don;t generally care that you are in the back, they have no concept of patients being in the back, you can not work on a patient at all as you are hanging on for your own life... National Ambulance do nothing about it, they are only interested in the 'contract', numerous injuries have occurred. You have no rights, no say, and no recourse. The whole project is grossly over sold, staff turn over is high...... any professional manager would recognize that as a symptom of something being wrong.... but they basically (at top level) don't care.... it's a never endimng recruitment campaign to replace those who leave.

National Ambulance is managed at the top by people who have absolutely no ambulance operational management experience and never worked for an Ambulance service.... i.e. Graham Stewart and the CEO... The operational managers who have actual ambulance experience are ignored when they make suggestions based on actually knowing something about ambulance.

If you have a family...definitely not the place to take them. Abu Dhabi and Dubai are nice places to visit for shopping, but apart from that there is nothing endearing about the UAE. Live there long enough and you start to see that it is face value only (people and places), scratch the surface and there is nothing but puss underneath...... this is heard often by people who have worked there. The Emirates are generally extremely racist, ignorant and uneducated. The average Emirate is a hypocrite... preaching religion and generosity to fellow man.... bull.... see the way thehy treat Indians, Pakistanis and others ..... most Emirate men are pigs and cowards.

Don't work there.... they don't deserve you.

Sw1

Forum Ride Along
Agree...
Think twice about working for this company.
It is clear to its staff that the party is over and its in decline.
Management have no moral compass.
Nepotism is rife.
Double standards are the norm.
Not family orientated some families with mulitple kids struggle for cash. School fee benefit is low.
Leave system on eps is loaded against the employee, you have take your off days as leave!
Challenge the system at your peril, bullying, intimidation are management tools.
HQ seem to want to follow a failing UK model - no fresh ideas its embarrassing to witness.
You are a number, if you are injured or sick the company insurance is basic and will have to pay the difference.
Pay is low compared to the risk you are taking (Qatar pays 10k sterling more) - police drivers crash on a weekly basis, one was ejected and killed last year, its only when it will happen.
Management are impotent and powerless to act on the Eps contract, you are on your own with, little equipment/drugs, on a dangerously poorly maintained ambo.
Many (tens of) NA staff are looking for an exit ASAP.
Reference UAE culture some like it some dont, there are some positives.
Go in with open eyes and an A and B plan!

the entertainer

Forum Ride Along
I was sat down and wrote loads, examples, names, places on this, but I have since been made very aware by some managers clinging to shreds of integrity that these forums are monitored by the company, and the company does not tolerate disloyalty (alarm bells ringing, callers?).

The hard truth is this is a terrible company with no ethics who cares not one jot about its staff and is not afraid to let you know it. If national ambulance was in the business of creating a toxic work environment and disgruntled staff it would be a blue chip organization. All that is posted already (and worse) is true so I wont repeat it. There is no light at the end of this tunnel, stay away.

Il finish with a quote that sums up the leadership of this organization (some of you may remember him from a previous life):

Alan Payne, director, National ambulance: “if you don’t like it f&^%k off”

the entertainer

Forum Ride Along
I was sat down and wrote loads, examples, names, places on this, but I have been made very aware by some managers clinging to shreds of integrity that these forums are monitored by the company, and the company does not tolerate disloyalty (alarm bells ringing, callers?).

The hard truth is this is a terrible company with no ethics who cares not one jot about its staff and is not afraid to let you know it. If national ambulance was in the business of creating a toxic work environment and disgruntled staff it would be a blue chip organization. All that is posted already (and worse) is true, and it looks like this is just the start of a nose dive. Ill finish with a quote that sums up the leadership of this organization (some of you may know him from a previous life):

Alan Payne, director, National ambulance: “if you don’t like it f&^%k off”

Bruceone

Forum Ride Along
Absolutely true.
Have spent some time with them myself, I soon found out they are not what they advertise, are enticing paramedics there under false pretences, and it is a horriod company. I am sure they started out with good intentions....... but the senior management have become indoctrinated into the way Arabs do things...that is treat people bad..... bullying, harassment are work tools, there is no such thing as an equitable work place. The "westerners" at the top, Graham Stewart, Rob Ball, that Wilkinson prick all should be very ashamed of themselves... if they acted the way they do back in their respective countries they would certainly be in front of the Industrial Relations Court... NAC was established to introduce a [professional ambulance service based on Western models. two big problems there 1. Graham and Rob who run the show have zero experience with an ambulance service, have no operational knowledge and don't listen to those who have. Management of fleet and resources is a cluster fu@#. (this is an opinion shared by staff who have actual senior Ambulance management experience in real ambulance services 2. the so called western values are forgotten as soon as they find out what they can get away with in back water places like the UAE.

The Police are totally corrupt, you are at fault no matter what happens. Do yourself a favour, do not go there, NAC really are not at all professional, discrimination is rife, nepotism is common, some Supervisors themselves have no experience and only got the jobs as they have been there longer...i.e there is one EPS Supervisor who is only an EMT, but has the title Clinical Supervisor..... no operational ambulance experience at all, another had nothing until he went to NAC. Mistakes are being made, as they are not listening to people who actually have operational ambulance management experience. The good ones soon wake up to what a shambles it is and leave fairly quickly... before 2 years even.

Most importantly, do not take a wife and children there.... it is very expensive for education, you will not be financially in front, and your western wife will be treated like dirt by pig Emirates.

BJs

Forum Ride Along
NA has the most poisonous work environment of any company I have ever worked for, placing staff welfare/safety/conditions at around the same level of importance as the red haired stepchild you keep locked under your staircase. The previous post is spot on, there is an overwhelming feeling of “if you don’t like it f$%k off” and it is not just the named individual who has been heard to say it.
Upper levels of the company are completely out of touch with those below them (some would say deliberately so) and complaints fall on either deaf, or vindictive ears. The CEO’s violent mood swings and public temper tantrums (particularly when he considers his authority has been questioned) are not inconsistent with a clinical diagnosis of bi-polar disorder, and completely consistent with megalomania and school yard bully tactics (he was once heard upon entering a birthday party for a staff member, by the entire room, to say “so who’s birthday is it that’s important here?”). Unfortunately this style of leadership has set the tone for the entire company. The upper levels of management are rumored to all belong to the same old boys network (this is 100% factual for several). Lower levels of management appear to be in permanent “job save” mode, which is somewhat understandable given how many have fallen from grace (and employment) for speaking out against directives from the head shed. Nepotism, favoritism and double standards are commonplace; most of those in authority have previous workplace connections in their home countries and/or are part of the right clique within the firm.
Having said that there are one or two genuine managers hidden here and there, how they manage to maintain their integrity and remain generally good people in that environment is truly astounding and my hat goes off to them. They are easy to spot, they look ten years older than they did six months ago.
The passage of information in general from management and between departments is extremely poor, and many have commented that the only time they hear from their managers it is overwhelmingly negative, usually with the words “there may be disciplinary action taken” as a footer. There is almost no ability to progress within the company, there are few positions, and the perception (borne out by history) is management has pre-selected the successful candidate prior to advertising the role; if indeed it is advertised. Many staff simply appear in new roles with no notice whatsoever, and more than a few of these have strong ties to those awarding the positions. Examples:
1.Recently a recruitment drive was conducted overseas to supply medics to a new contract, no official mention of this was made to existing staff, despite many being qualified for the role and multiple previous assurances from HR that positions would be advertised internally first.
2. Several staff were “selected” to attend a competition overseas, and the staff selection of ex LAS clique surprised nobody. This was not advertised or offered to other staff.
This type of behavior is commonplace, staff feel disconnected, and then aggrieved when an opportunity to progress/change is not offered in a fair, professional manner. Much effort and emphasis is placed on secrecy by NA, however when an obvious back door deal is uncovered (as they are eventually) then it results in another strike out to employee faith in the policies and ethics of their employer. There is very little sideways movement to different contracts also, and such moves are frequently delayed, in some cases indefinitely, then paradoxically a base officer may come to you with your resignation letter so you can shift departments, faxed without your knowledge or any warning, nor any notice from your own company that you were moving.
The company employs Philipino and select Arab nationals as EMTs, the quality of which varies dramatically. By comparison the Paramedics have it blissfully easy, these guys are treated akin to slave labor, work huge hours, are on call/working at a managers whim, and generally disrespected as employees and human beings. Most have learned the hard way it is easier to sit quietly and not stick up for their rights. Unfortunately the vast majorities take this treatment because they are so poorly paid in their home countries, NA knows this and has no moral or ethical issues taking full advantage of it.
Working within the EPS system is at best difficult, and at worst a quick way to a fiery death in a broken down ambulance attempting to travel back in time Marty McFly style. The drivers in general are shockingly dangerous and drive as fast as the vehicle will allow EVERYWHERE, even to lunch. Nothing anyone has done has changed that in length of the contract despite multiple injuries and even more multiple official complaints. They are very difficult to get info out of regarding the shout (everything is accident or medical, if it’s on a road its accident, if it’s not its medical, that’s often the extent of the info), and often lose the ability to speak English when they don’t want to answer. The EPS (Police) EMTs are range from adequate (rare) to “did he really just do that?!”. There is an official patient caste system here (the nationality of the patient is required over the radio when transporting), Emiratis are the top and will have preferential treatment over almost anyone regardless of injury/circumstance, sometimes at the direct order of a police officer. Workers (Pakistan, Bangladeshi etc) are considered non-people, and expat staff are often met with surprised resistance when treating them appropriately, particularly at the expense of a local.

More to follow

BJs

Forum Ride Along
The EPS contract is manpower only, with a view to complete takeover of services in the future. Workload is comparatively low compared to western services, however can be just as busy. Equipment is sorely lacking (several times staff have had to threaten not to respond in order to get basic safety equipment such as gloves supplied), vehicles are old and worn out (many are over 400,000km), basically the whole organization is run down to the point of not being mission capable. For one of the wealthiest per head of capita nations in the world the Emiratis should hang their collective heads in shame at how poorly funded their EMS service is, this is not a third world country where resources are scarce.
laziness and avoidance of responsibility are integral part of Arab culture (if the words “racist’ or “stereotype’ are forming in your head then you have clearly never lived or worked with Arab nations) and this service is no different, be prepared to take the fall for whatever issue is occurring, many staff have discovered a week later when a formal complaint has been placed and your summoned for a meeting. Oh and forget any sort of support or defense from NA, the client is always right. Several staff have been punished and even removed from the EPS contract to pander to the delicate local egos, right and wrong is not a factor. Anyone who brings up an issue is labeled as a complainer and a trouble maker, most staff don’t bother anymore because NA offers only lip service support, and will often sweep issues under the carpet to avoid ruffling feathers and admitting there is a problem (NHS anyone?). There is also an inevitable backlash from EPS Police staff that their shortcomings are being bought to light.
The expat clinical staff in general are well trained and educated, and want to be professionals. The systems (and lack thereof) in place here makes that extraordinarily difficult, and the difference in attitudes from day one to as little as six months is startling. Burnout and excessive alcohol consumption are commonplace (in the UAE in general), and focus quickly turns to watching your finances grow in order to justify what your putting yourself through. It is a hard fact that you require decompression time in this industry, add to that a completely new and alien environment and the utterly bizarre manner in which things operate in this region and you need even more. The 4x4 (4 days, 4 off, 4 nights 4 0ff etc etc) roster could enable you to have this, however with CME, the “contractual hours” debacle (see below), and various other “voluntary, but we expect you to go” meetings etc it is rare to have a set of days off that is actually your own.
Leave (on EPS) is 35 days a year. Except it’s not. Your days off are factored into your leave and you are only permitted to take blocks of 7 days (4 days on-leave, 3 of your days off are then counted as leave to make up 7 days). You are also only allowed to have one Paramedic off at any one time at 2 of the 3 stations which drastically limits your options. This system has never been sufficiently explained, NA blame the Police, the Police say they don’t care, and their staff are able to apply for single days off and receive a 45 day allowance, draw your own conclusions.
Money is ok, but not good by any stretch when considering other contract work in the region. There is effectively no overtime. By far the most attractive quality was the 4x4 roster on the eps contract, (which “was good while it lasted, but we all knew it wasn’t going too” according to the director) however now all ops staff are being forced to work “contractual hours” of 48 per week, which is causing some confusion as it is not actually stated in anyone’s contract. The 4x4 was pushed as one of the big pluses, and indeed was a deciding factor for coming here, the majority of staff feel betrayed, bullied into accepting this, with the prevailing sentiment being “why complain they won’t listen, and those who have have been blacklisted”. This issue has affected almost every operational staff member across the company, with rosters and “contract hours” being thrown into total upheaval and removed any illusion of job security and stability. A recent staff satisfaction survey was emailed out. The survey, boldly stating anonymous, was:
1. Linked to your work email
2. Requested your age and sex
3. Requested your contract
4. Requested your length of service with the company
5. Awarded several gifts to randomly submitted submitters, who were then named in the company newsletter.
I will let you be the judge of how anonymous that makes it.
The EPS and airport/HEMS/training contracts allow you to live in Abu Dhabi with family and maintain a more normal lifestyle than more common weeks or months on/off contracting which is a big plus for family life. The CICPA contract is two weeks on/off, plus 6 weeks unpaid on call a year, living in a shared villa with two others and has no family provision. Housing is generally of good quality (in so far as building quality and UAE is concerned)
HR is generally considered to be a nightmare by everyone who isn’t in HR, getting a straight answer out of them is near impossible, and woe betide the employee that takes issue with their decisions. We do not receive payslips, they must be specifically requested, and have only total amount’s, no breakdown of hours/dates so as to keep track of overtime etc (not that that’s an issue anymore). Overtime is supposed to be paid in the next months pay, however this has regularly been delayed, occasionally in excess of three months. Flights are another issue, with the cheapest option as a benchmark regardless of such trivialities as a twelve hour layover in the middle of an 8 hour flight.
The training department has very little to offer experienced western medics, overworked and orientated chiefly at maintaining CME points for licenses (BLS, ACLS etc) and trying to bring nonwestern EMT’s up to standard. There are some passionate and very good people in that department, alas they work for a company that does not have any interest in training, just ticking boxes. Courses are completed in your own time and unpaid. Certs are withheld by the company (no reasonable explanation has ever been given for this), if requested they will issue you with an internal NA cert, not the official AHA etc cert.
Many staff with families have discovered that they are no better off here than in the UK due to living costs and quite frankly daylight robbery preschool/ education and related costs. Whilst there is no income tax this country certainly makes up for it in other areas, i.e. the “tourism tax” that sees the cost of your night out rise by around 20%. You can do it cheap, but overall living costs are not low here, particularly if you are living the expat lifestyle.
Medical insurance is poor and not what was promised, it also seems to deteriorate with every renewal. It does not cover any of the major hospitals, even in the event of workplace injuries. There is a pay up front with the promise of reimbursement, however according to staff that have been through it this process is laborious and in no way guaranteed.
There is an underlying feeling amongst many that NA wasn’t being entirely honest when pitching the deal of a lifetime, which quite frankly lays the groundwork for most of your future dealings with them. Unsurprisingly many staff are looking for alternatives, and many more wish they hadn’t come.
For your own sake, talk to people who work here, make an informed decision. If you’re from the NHS it may well seem like a breath of fresh air (for a time), but you may well find the same attitudes you hoped to leave behind have been imported directly here. But hey, “just look at the view” as the HR director is so fond of saying. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Looks like I may be headed there.
I see the posts about the negative aspects.... But I believe that is all a matter of perspective, from mine it is an opportunity for improvement.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I'll keep you all updated. I have got a few options currently; this company being one. We shall see.