My New Tattoo - EMS

jason911

Forum Ride Along
I'm currently in that 16 week class. I agree that this is not a game, or a hobby. But please, don't equate this first step into EMS as something trivial. We all start here, and I get a sense from some of your posts that you are dismissive of the EMT course. You have posted quite truthfully that it is low on physiology, anatomy etc. I agree with that as well. But I can't help getting a bit defensive when you so casually toss away training that to me is the first step into a whole new world. Having never done anything medical before, I find the course challenging and something a bit overwhelming. I understand that my role as an EMT is one of support to higher levels of training, and I understand the limitations my training comes with. But it is worthwhile and honorable in it's own right.

/off-topic

Agreed.

I regard both the EMT and the EMT-P courses as merely providing the rough basics which then allow the provider to begin his/her real training: on the streets. Anyone who graduates from paramedic school believing themselves to be well-trained is mistaken. After fifteen years of working in a high-volume area, I still learn new things almost daily.

If the EMT-Basic course could be represented as simply a "drop in the bucket" of knowledge which the provider must have in order to be regarded as competent, then the paramedic course is perhaps best represented as ten drops in a bucket; more than the basic course, to be sure... yet relatively speaking, he/she is still much closer to being unprepared, than to being prepared.

The school provides just the most basic of frameworks necessary to ensure that the provider isn't too lethal when he hits the streets.

I have known experienced EMT-Basics who are infinitely more competent and dedicated than certain paramedics. It most definitely boils down to their level of commitment, their experience, and a certain innate aptitude which some possess and some do not.

/resume topic

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Both of you bring up good points. Not to hijack this thread, simply compare the EMT Course with Adv First-Aid, so yes in comparison to even very basic medicine it is very nominal, and yes I agree the current Paramedic curriculum is as well. Both are shameful and embarrassing!

For as the tatt.'s they look nice, good colors! Possibly, when I retire from EMS, I might obtain one, with "Thanks for the Memories"... hmm maybe not, some may interpret in regards to my ex-wives :D

TheDoll

Forum Captain
Both of you bring up good points. Not to hijack this thread, simply compare the EMT Course with Adv First-Aid, so yes in comparison to even very basic medicine it is very nominal, and yes I agree the current Paramedic curriculum is as well. Both are shameful and embarrassing!

For as the tatt.'s they look nice, good colors! Possibly, when I retire from EMS, I might obtain one, with "Thanks for the Memories"... hmm maybe not, some may interpret in regards to my ex-wives :D
lol, dork :D ! jk
i know that i was early to jump on this thread and everything, but that was bc i was interested in seeing what tattoos everyone had. i think i mentioned earlier (pardon me, if i didn't) that i really like admiring tatt's, but i've never wanted one. i've always thought my best markings i've gained from life are any scar i've acquired by accident. i proudly wear them, and wouldn't change their placement or memory!
on an odd note, i've always thought scarification is particularly interesting. i would never do it, but i think it is fascinating that some cultures practice this. in fact, there is a guy who works at the hospital where i work, and he has some on his face. every time i see him i think "you have the most beautiful face". i don't know if he thinks so, and i'm sure he gets some strange reactions from people here in indiana. anyway, i think it looks amazing.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
OP
OP
Rattletrap

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
Could not resist.

371374rhjpi80eqc.jpg

OP
OP
Rattletrap

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
Got this one on Right calf yesterday. Got another planned on the 10th of sept.

l_e724bcb07296fdccbc1bad1b4aff645f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Rattletrap

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
oops double post

Last edited by a moderator:

babygirl2882

Forum Captain

adcantu

Forum Probie
For Egg... As far as not getting a tattoo for a job, I can see your point. However, for myself, EMS is not just a job, its a passion, its a way of life, its something that I am proud to be a part of. I dont have any ems tats yet, but I indend to get at least one.

For my point, let me say that I was in the US Navy. I was medically discharged 5 years ago. I love the Navy, and I have a tatt that says Honor Courage Commitment. The Navy Core Values. Was it a job, yes. I love the Navy, and am proud and greatful for the expereinces and such I went through. I am who I am today because of those experiences.

My other tattoo says SPQR. The reason I got this tattoo was because of my travels throughout europe, the middle east, and africa. I was able to visit every modern country that was part of the roman empire, aside from Lybia. There is more to the story than that, but thats the basic idea lol.

I will post some pictures of my tats later.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
okay... okay... i understand about the job thing egg, but forgive me for saying this but i NEVER want you to treat me or my family. EMS for most is a life style and a passion. EMS= Every Marriage Suffers. If you don't understad tnat you have to love this to do this, I suggest that you get out now. you may be good at it, but i personally wouldn't consider you a good EMS Professional.

As for the tats, i'm working on designing one for myself.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
PArescueEMT, hate to interject this here, but in EMS, some help is better than no help, and tattoo'd, long haired, whatever... When a person has sustained severe trauma, or is in a life threatening situation/illness, you look like an angel no matter their personal preference. It is a job, when you can't leave it at work, you're priming for burnout. Look around at some of the people who have been at this a while, and what their responses are for treating someone off duty.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Not to hijack the thread, but how about some breast augmentation pics? Maybe some with tats??

PC:blush:

Let's not go there.

signadmin1.gif

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
okay Luno... i am one who has been out there for a while. i'm coming up on 10 years in EMS. I feel as tho I am entitled to my opinion which is what i issued. I am not paid in EMS, I am only a volunteer and it is a hobby for me.

If you Disagree with me so be it. there is no need to try to start a thread fight. My thoughts have been shared, and that is the last you will hear from me in this thread until i design my tat.

sandboxmedic

Forum Crew Member
Tats in EMS

I have to agree with Luno, I dont see someone really caring about what i look like if they are seriously injured, or sick. What matters is that you can do the job,and do it right. The one exception to this, id say, is a facial piercing....other than that, no worries

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
my comment wasn't based upon looks, it was based on the comment of it esentially being nothing more than a paycheck. I am Pierced, and am going to get inked. I had Long Hair when i started. I have no problem with the way anyone looks, but EMS isn't just a paycheck.