My First

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
My number was up last night. It was my "lucky" night to get to try out all that fancy crap we learn in PALS. So, now its my "lucky" turn to get it out...

We were only about 1 mile from the address, so not only were we the first on scene, but we beat S.O. to the call too. On the way there the EMS dispatcher gave us 9 month old, FD's dispatcher gave them 9 week old. I asked our dispatcher which was it 9wk or 9mo...to which he replied... "Stand-By" :rolleyes:

I haven't yet expressed how much I REALLY want a new partner...but thats another story...so anyway, she looks at me and asks if it really matters if its 9wks, 9mo, or 9yrs...Um...yea...it does.

As we turn into the neighborhood, its clear the entire trailer park is in a frenzy. We have to stop about 3 trailers away from where we needed to be, b/c people kept running in front of us. Didn't matter anyway, as I opened my door to and goto get out a man came running through the crowd yelling, "Oh thank GOD!! I have been doing compressions on his back for 4 min now!!!" (who the heck is teaching compressions on the back!! When I took the baby from him, he tried to grab him and roll him over so I could do them on the back!) And sure enough, he had a very obvious 9 WEEK old boy laid over his arms and was doing compressions between the shoulder blades. He then...almost....threw the baby at me...But I managed to closed the gap between him and I so I could take him.

He was cold, covered in vomit....clearly not saveable. I climbed up in the truck telling my partner (who was in the back getting our stuff together to take in the house) to clear the stretcher and tossed my braslow tape at her. AND...she was frozen where she stood...just staring at me...mouth open a little. So now I am pulling crap off the stretcher, grabbing a BVM, the monitor, the pedi bag...and trying to do compressions...on the chest this time...and telling S.O. who had got there to get one of the Medics off the ALS engine that had arrived and tell him to get over to me, so I could get some help.

Somewhere my partner remembered she wasn't a bystander and managed to take the BVM and start that. Once I got the FF's on board, I told her to get going. We had half the damn trailer park crawling in every door they could find. They bystanders were like freaking roaches....just when you think you had them contained...a dozen more showed up.

We suctioned 25cc of formula that seemed to continuously pour from the baby's mouth and nose...got him intubated...it got pulled....reintubated... an IO and a round of drugs in the 5 minute transport to the ER.

25 min later, the Dr called him. Mom was in the room when the Dr called him. It wasn't long before she had her son swaddled in a blanket and was holding him as if nothing was wrong....she had pulled the tube...Of all the people involved...other than the parents obviously...the person I feel the worst for, is the S.O. deputy that had to go into that ER room and take that baby out of that mothers arms.

Sucks....its the second in a week for our service (the private one I work for).

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
That truly does suck. It must have been a long shift. What was with the back compressions? I feel for you in that situation, must have been tough to know what to do but realizing it was too late when you were able to start. You painted such a vibrant picture of the chaos at the trailer park. One question I have is what does S.O .stand for?

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I had a 3 1/2 month old a couple of months ago. He was my first PALs. I will never forget the little guy or his mom. One month later, we got 6 kids burned in a van - all under 5 years old, 2 dead, 2 critical.
There are parts of this job that will always suck. When a kid arrests, they ain't coming back. My instructor has attempted rescusitation on about 300 children in his career - none successfully. There wasn't anything that you or your partner did or didn't do that would have made a difference.
When the kid dies, you have new patients - the family. That is where you can make a huge impact.
I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. You are doing the right thing by debriefing. One of my co-workers told me about crying at home after his first PALs. It was great because he is a big tough guy, and he gave me permission to cry for these babies. It took me about 3 days before I did cry and I am glad I did. Gotta process this crap.
Take care hon...

Epi-do

I see dead people
What a tough run. Sorry to hear you had to deal with all of that. It sounds like you did all you could, and you shoul dbe proud of that. There will always be runs that hit you hard, and kids always seem to be in that group for all of us. Good for you for talking about it. Hope you can work through everything you most likely are feeling relatively soon.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Maybe it is my age, but each year I tend to hate pediatric calls more and more. Calls like those, simply put it suck! Unfortunately, I have had my share, but tend to have more recently.

I have a crew member that is a relatively new Paramedic. We tease him that that he has angered the EMS gods. He has had over 8 pediatric arrest calls this year alone. I tease him, that when a child now sees him arriving they start getting fearful..lol

Hang in there, chalk one up for experience. I wish I could say it gets better, but I would be lying. As far as your partner, I would have a "good talking to" her and possibly rehearse somethings. Having that "deer in the headlight" look is not valuable when the feces is hitting the fan.

R/r 911

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I have a crew member that is a relatively new Paramedic. We tease him that that he has angered the EMS gods. He has had over 8 pediatric arrest calls this year alone. I tease him, that when a child now sees him arriving they start getting fearful..lol

Rid, the person I know through this site is an Elder willing to be open-eared and open-hearted to provide support for another human being in the same profession as himself. He's a "Get back to business" sort of guy, but he also has the ability to acknowledge the humanity of it all.

I was a bit taken aback by your statement and hope you'd share the kinds of things that I'm sure you do to balance out the Rookie-ribbing in one of the most life-haunting things we experience.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
It's "fuster-clucks" like that that are "un"-fun and also where you get your respect. Dispatch not having the info you need; SO's not there when you are; bystanders in the way; family almost throwing pt at you; partner having a brain fart; putting tube in; tube coming back out; gotta put it back in; after all that, still getting declared dead in ER.

lfsvr0114

Forum Crew Member
S.O. stands for Sheriff's Officers.

I had a 5 week old baby that was born 4 weeks premature and a twin to top it off. The parents were given apnea monitors for the babies and they put this one down for a nap in the livingroom where they were playing video games with out it. Needless to say, the child did not survive. By the time we got there (dad, about 25 yrs. old, was doing CPR on a chair cushion-and stated he was a paramedic), the child was cold and white. We only realized the child was a twin because we heard a baby crying and it was not the one we were working. The hospital called it as soon as we arrived in the ER. We had a stress debriefing that night to help us cope with it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Pediatric arrests are the worst. My only 2 have both been "false alarms" where the baby possibly had a brief period of apnea, but was breathing upon our arrivial.

My plan for one of these is pretty much the same as you did, Princess. I'm grabbing the baby and beating feet to the rig. If ALS is onscene.. they can 'play' in the truck. If ALS isn't onscene... we are running to the ED... we are often <5 minutes from the ED... I'm not going to stop for a medic intercept if I can be at the hospital before the medic can get onboard and get his bag open. BLS before ALS :)

On a more serious note.. are you OK? Have you talked the call over with your partner?

If you were closer to me, I'd come work with you :) I need a new job!

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
What was with the back compressions?

I have asked several people about this. The only thing we can figure is in his panic he got back blows for an obstructed airway mixed with compressions.

We had a stress debriefing that night to help us cope with it.

There have been 2 scheduled, and 2 cancelled. My partner won't return their calls about a CISD, so the Ops Mgr keeps cancelling. I finally told him not today not to worry about it....my other job at the county has already set one up for me.

I'm better today. Last night we were dispatched for an "unresponsive" 3 year old and thought I would vomit. It took every ounce of energy, and felt like I had to physically force my feet to move myself forward towards the house. It seemed like forever before one of the FF that was with me the other night came out to meet me, and told me she's fine...just has a fever...and is alert.

I hope you all have a great holiday. I will be working tomorrow and the next day.

disassociative

Forum Captain
My first was an infant that flew head first into a windshield; I don't even want to talk about it; I barely want to think about it.

Stn2Emtb

Forum Ride Along
That truely does suck. I remember my first peds "sids" case. When the call came in my partner and I and one other person jumped in the truck. I remember getting out of the truck looking at the house ( to start heading there) and the VFD was comming out of the house with the baby. I jumped in the drivers seat and we all piled in and ran to the er. I was fine until we all were cleaning up and it "hit me" of what just happened. I cried for a little bit and I did fine. I'm sorry for such a rotten call but you did what you could. Good Luck in the future

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Princess:

I hope that you write a book one day. You really do a great job with writing.

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks fm- Its easy to write about something when your passionate about your topic....

Now ask me to write about football....and it will be all kinds of crazy messed up reading...

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Princess,
I haven't been around long enough on these forums or in the EMS field to carry much weight with what I say....

...but I can say this...it sounds like you did everything you could for the patient. It just wasn't going to swing your way....

It's good that you're talking about it and not internalizing all of your feelings.

Let me know if I can be of any help...

-Matt