My first stick

Lisa

Forum Crew Member
Hey all!! I am new around here but have enjoyed all the posts so far. I am currently an EMT student. We got to do our first IV stick last night. I got mine on the first try!!! WOOHOOO!!! I was excitied so I had to tell somebody! LOL

Anyone have any suggestions/advice for a "fresh" EMT coming out of school??
Thanks in advance.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
I just have to say. Congrats on the stick... but PLEASE... FOR THE LOVE OF THE EMS GODS (a.k.a. training officers)... don't let get to your head. I have had too many EMT's that I have had the disprivlidge of training were all over confident as to their skills which could be a dangerous thing. But congrats on the stick again. and welcome to the forum

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to the group Lisa.

Chimp

OP
OP
L

Lisa

Forum Crew Member
Sorry if I sounded like I was bragging or getting the big head. I was just excitied because I was REALLY nervous about it. I don't think I could just jump on a truck and start stickin or anything...in fact, I know I coudn't. Just glad it is over and I can really practice my other skills. Thanks for the welcome!!!

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
Hey Lisa, congrats. I just got mine last week. First ones the hardest.

Good luck with the rest of your training.

Russ

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Congrats on your first stick. The first is definately the hardest, but the hardest to deal with is your first miss. Don't worry, it WILL HAPPEN.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Well, wish I could give some advice, but its not in our protocol out here. Only medics get to make holes in people...we just get to try to control any that may be there when we get on scene. :D

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Congrats Lisa, I am glad for you that the first one is over! I was also scared too of the first one, I HATE NEEDLES. I am a big Weiner when it comes to getting them but I found out I can give them all day long and it doesn't hurt me a bit :lol: I saw Dean Yesterday...he's still not saying much to me......I guess I hurt that track record of his pretty bad!!! He finally struck out with one :lol:
Good luck with the rest of them in the clinicals, do you know where you will do them yet? Roane Medical was pretty cool if that is a choice for you...just a tid bit. A tip I have that I have learned when sticking is if you hold the arm from underneath and pull the skin down ward it helps stop the vein from moving, just don't pull the skin too tight or you will defeat the purpose, I guess it would be easier to show you, you just have to be careful in the truck doing that with the bumps and curves and crazies that slam on the brakes in front of you, I haven't nailed myself that way yet but it is possible, be sure your fingers are clear of your area on the truck, it's better to practice that at the ER!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by SafetyPro@Sep 24 2004, 03:01 PM
Well, wish I could give some advice, but its not in our protocol out here. Only medics get to make holes in people...we just get to try to control any that may be there when we get on scene. :D
Very well put...and often forgotten.

I think we should call that one The Basic Rule.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by Lisa@Sep 23 2004, 11:58 AM
Hey all!! I am new around here but have enjoyed all the posts so far. I am currently an EMT student. We got to do our first IV stick last night. I got mine on the first try!!! WOOHOOO!!! I was excitied so I had to tell somebody! LOL

Anyone have any suggestions/advice for a "fresh" EMT coming out of school??
Thanks in advance.
Lisa,

Congrats! When I was doing my clinicals, one of the medics had a problem starting an IV. She had her partner do it, who got it on the first try. After we transported the patient, the senior medic remarked how even after working as a Paramedic for 10+ years, when she can't start an IV, she can't get down on herself. She felt that starting an IV was just as much mental as it was skill.

I wish you luck with all future IVs, and it's good seeing you active on the forum!

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
A couple weeks ago I missed a line on a guy I felt I should have been able to get. I was pretty sad. :(

But THEN, I got a line on an older man who was diabetic, dehydrated, and shocky, and the medic (20 years experience and also my Chief) told me he was really proud. I was very happy. :D

Just goes to show, you win some, you lose some.... but in the end as long as you're not the one with all the holes, you always come out ahead. ;)

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
I guess that Ishouldn't that I am very lucky with 17 pre-hospital sticks total and so far have not missed one... (knock on wood) I am lucky enough to get patients that are (un)lucky enough to have the alaskin oil pipeline running right through thier AC. I think the the one code was a 16ga in the ® ac and an 18 in the left.

but congratulations and keep up the good work

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Shhh... don't tell the protocol cops, but next week my medic-student friend and I are going to practice sticking each other's feet... should be interesting - i just noticed how small the veins on my feet look. :blink: