My CLS Bag

Wild_Weasel

Forum Crew Member
Finally got my Ricky Rescue Bag put together for Afghanistan.
389116149.jpg

Surplus M-3 Bag. I see firsthand now that these bags are not much on organization.
389116147.jpg

M-3 Bag Open
389116150.jpg

Main Pouch: Blizzard Survival Blanket, SAM Splint, CPR Pocket Mask, 6” Elastic Bandage, Israeli Abdominal Combat Dressing, BP Cuff, HyFin Chest Seal, Asherman Chest Seal
389116153.jpg

Pocket: Stethoscope and Quick Reference Card
389116151.jpg

Pouch #2: Tape, x3 Triangular Dressing, x4 Nitrile Gloves, Nasal Pharyngeal Airway 28 FR, x2 14 GA Decompression Catheters, x6 Alcohol Pads, x2 Eye Shields, Trauma Shears, x2 Bite Sticks, x2 Disposable Pen Lights
389116152.jpg

Pouch #1: x2 6” Israeli Combat Dressing, x2 CAT Tourniquets, x2 Compressed Gauze, x2 Combat Gauze, Strap Cutter, x2 Nitrile gloves

Cheers,
W-W

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
wow dude a littmann in your CLS! Pretty high speed, but maybe overboard.

I am just a civilian Paramedic now, but I was a 20 year old infantryman and my squads CLS in 2001, right after 9/11.
I can tell you the stuff that I used the most in an infantry platoon was foot stuff, followed by heat causalities. I used a lot of mole skin, anti-fungal powder, band-aids, and 800mg Motrin. I also carried 2 IV bags taped together as a kit with 18G setup. I used all that stuff the most.

BUT.... I did not get into any heavy combat I was mainly on peace keeping missions overseas and in and out of hostile fire zones.

EDIT: not sure what your quick reference card is BUT CARRY A 9 LINE MEDEVAC CHEAT CARD! really important.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Are you going to have access to resupply, to restock some of that, if you use it?

OP
OP
Wild_Weasel

Wild_Weasel

Forum Crew Member
Schulz,

Yes that is a 9 LINE MEDVAC CHEAT CARD, as for the Littmann stethoscope, after 30 years on the flight line my ears need all the help they can get.

Emt.dan,

As a civilian contractor we are responsible for supplying our own gear, including medical supplies. I also had to buy an IFAK off eBay for use here. In the event that I was to use any of my supplies an aid station or medic would more than likely resupply me.

Cheers,
W-W

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Schulz,

Yes that is a 9 LINE MEDVAC CHEAT CARD, as for the Littmann stethoscope, after 30 years on the flight line my ears need all the help they can get.

Emt.dan,

As a civilian contractor we are responsible for supplying our own gear, including medical supplies. I also had to buy an IFAK off eBay for use here. In the event that I was to use any of my supplies an aid station or medic would more than likely resupply me.

Cheers,
W-W

Who are you working for where you buy your own supplies???

Plus every NATO and DoD contractor (the company, not employee) must supply Role 1 capability since the military no longer does this except for life, limb or eyesight unless you are at a FOB, then they cut you some slack.

I have been overseas contracting for many years and never purchased my own gear. And what base are you at?

Outworld

Forum Probie
Where is your Duct Tape? And I would lose the disposable penlights and replace them with small AAA lights like Mag, Pelican or Swiss Army make. Disposable penlights are unreliable and not briht enough for much.

Lima-Charlie

Forum Ride Along
who are you working for where you buy your own supplies???

Plus every nato and dod contractor (the company, not employee) must supply role 1 capability since the military no longer does this except for life, limb or eyesight unless you are at a fob, then they cut you some slack.

I have been overseas contracting for many years and never purchased my own gear.

+1.

OP
OP
Wild_Weasel

Wild_Weasel

Forum Crew Member
Hello,

Other than life, limb, or sight contractors are on their own. For medical beyond that we have to travel to Kuwait an see a civilian doctor, a 3 or 4 day process. However, retired US military can still get full medical services here. During pre-deployment training we where issued one empty compass/field dressing case, that’s it. I bought my own IFAK off eBay and restocked it and finagled my way into a Combat Lifesaver course. While active duty I was an NR EMT-A but that has long since lapsed. Fortunately, there was an EMT-B course available here that I’m taking advantage of and so far it turning out to be a great review, given my past experience. The CLS Bag I put together on my own dime.

Cheers,
W-W

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Do Combat Life Savers not give IV's anymore? Why do you not have atleast 1 bag of fluid and a setup for it?

OP
OP
Wild_Weasel

Wild_Weasel

Forum Crew Member
The new –C curriculum released in 2009 dropped IV therapy, which in my opinion brings it more into line with Forst Responder / EMT-B protocols. The major exception being we are thought thoracic decompression in the presence of possible tension pneumothorax and the use of Combat Gauze.

Cheers,
W-W

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello,

Other than life, limb, or sight contractors are on their own. For medical beyond that we have to travel to Kuwait an see a civilian doctor, a 3 or 4 day process. However, retired US military can still get full medical services here. During pre-deployment training we where issued one empty compass/field dressing case, that’s it. I bought my own IFAK off eBay and restocked it and finagled my way into a Combat Lifesaver course. While active duty I was an NR EMT-A but that has long since lapsed. Fortunately, there was an EMT-B course available here that I’m taking advantage of and so far it turning out to be a great review, given my past experience. The CLS Bag I put together on my own dime.

Cheers,
W-W

No one is on their own, period. NAMSA and COs are very strict about that sort of thing and it is an auditable item for contract performance. EVERY company operating on base must have Role 1 services, the only companies which typically do not are Turkish owned and they quickly produce a "nurse or doctor" when audited.

Regardless of veteran status, retired military are still turned away from the Role 3s if they are there as a contractor unless their company has specific privileges in their LOAs. With a former employer, I encountered this multiple times as employees who thought because they were vets would try to sneak down to Role 3 to get care instead of going through the proper process. If you are there as a contractor, you are still depleting the military's resources for the current soldiers, so a vet has no business going to the Role 3 when all companies have a Role 1.

Since you indicated you finagled your way into a CLS course (which is amazingly difficult since there are not enough seats for the active duty and they are typically held during the daytime which is not conducive to a contractor's schedule), that indicates one of three locations that host it officially. Also, you mentioned an EMT B course which eliminates one of those options and means you are at one of two very large bases in Afghanistan. I am very close with the country lead (and only instructor at one location) as we worked together in Alaska and I have assisted with teaching numerous times (CLS and EMT).

Every vehicle is on base is mandated to have a First Aid Kit in addition to the various combat casualty care stations scattered everywhere; plus, every soldier is a "medic".

I still ask who do you work for which leaves you "on your own"? You can PM me as I first requested.

ChorusD

Forum Crew Member
When I was in they taught us IV, needle decompression, AND cricothyroidotomy...with a KABAR...and that wasn't that long ago...they still teach the cric?

Kthanid

Forum Crew Member
Plus every NATO and DoD contractor (the company, not employee) must supply Role 1 capability since the military no longer does this except for life, limb or eyesight unless you are at a FOB, then they cut you some slack.

In theory and writing. In practice the requirements to have the role 1 ready can be delayed by various means.....by a few years or so ;)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey, I excused the FOBs, I know how it is...

But the OP is at a large base and one I am very familiar with.

There was a bit too much chest thumping for my tastes and if you notice he has not responded or PMd me. And I am in his current location, so...I was hoping for a photo op (seriously).

Afflixion

Forum Captain
When I was in they taught us IV, needle decompression, AND cricothyroidotomy...with a KABAR...and that wasn't that long ago...they still teach the cric?

Teaching of a surgical cric has never been taught in a CLS course. Now all that is taught is NCD, bandaging and packing of transition wounds, treating a sucking chest wound, splinting and PROPER tourniquet application.

IV's were taken out due to the average intellectual level of the 11B who were always trying to start an IV prior to any other treatment or assessment.

ChorusD

Forum Crew Member
Well, I was in the Marine Corps and they taught it to us. It may be different than the army. But, I can't recall if it was in TCCC or CLS where we were taught that particular skill.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
It doesn't matter what branch your in CLS criteria is all the same, the corpsmen teaching may have gone above and beyond what was meant to be taught but it is not in the standard learning materials.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
IV's were taken out due to the average intellectual level of the 11B who were always trying to start an IV prior to any other treatment or assessment.
Why should we (11B's) mess with all that assessment stuff when where just hung over and need a bag?

ChorusD

Forum Crew Member
Well, like i said it might have been in TCCC where we learned that one. Either way, I may never actually do it but at least I know how to stab someone in the throat with a KABAR and do be doing them a favor. :ph34r:

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Why should we (11B's) mess with all that assessment stuff when where just hung over and need a bag?

LOL this is so true, back at Campbell I always had guys showing up to my house at anywhere from 2-5 sunday morning asking for a bag...