My BIGGEST pet peeves

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Annoying excited "partner" trick.

You get the litter folded out and raised, whether or not there is a pt on it, and your co-worker starts trying to make you go faster, especially by pushing or pulling it faster, than the situation warrants.
Only time (so far) I've actually threatened to knock somone on their arse.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
hospitals that call me for a gurney transport back to a nursing home and when I show up they are just serving the patient lunch, or there are still IVs/lines/random machines still hooked up to the pt :glare:

"Ohh no I only have a few more minutes of paperwork done, no need to push the call back. <30 minutes later> I'm almost done!!!"

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
You get the litter folded out and raised, whether or not there is a pt on it, and your co-worker starts trying to make you go faster, especially by pushing or pulling it faster, than the situation warrants.
Only time (so far) I've actually threatened to knock somone on their arse.

I solve that fairly easily. I am usually in the front of the stretcher because I'm short. They start pushing faster, I let go of the stretcher and let them keep going. When I get a puzzled look I smile and go "I figured I'd let you go since you're in such a rush. I've got short legs!" they usually get it and adjust accordingly.

If they don't, they start pushing faster, and I start pushing back against them.

Dr.NREMT-B

Forum Probie
- How bad is your pain?

- 10/10.....it's getting worse....OH GOD!

*patient proceeds to answer cell phone and talk normally, hangs up

- Oh Dear Lord Help me, it hurts so bad ahhhh!

HAHA... Here is one I had just like that!

ME: "How bad is your pain?"
PT: "10/10 in my right wrist. I have been unable to use it for days."
ME: "The same right wrist in which you are holding your baby carrier?"
PT: "That's the one."
ME: "How many children do you have?"
PT: "4"
NURSE AT THE CHARGE DESK: "10/10 my @$$. She must have been under epidural!"
PT clearly overheard.

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
-When you show up to an ER, and the security guard thinks she owns the place, bossing around everyone she can.

-Nurses that treat their patients badly.

-Nurses that make you wonder how the hell they managed to pull off getting a nursing license.

-Nurses that give bad reports.

-When your rig breaks down on the side of the freeway, and you have to wait 3+ hours for a damn tow truck, in the heat w/no AC.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
-When you show up to an ER, and the security guard thinks she owns the place, bossing around everyone she can.

I have this problem at a local hospital ALL the time.

They have a long avenue for ambulances... you could easily fit 20 ambulances on it. We could have JUST pulled in, or be walking back to the truck, and the same security guard will always tell us to hurry up and move the truck... even though it's never blocking anyone.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
This little convo happened between a nurse and me yesterday

Me: "So why are we taking her to the hospital today?"
N: "So she can get treatment"
Me: "What treatment, what does she need done?"
N: "The treatment"

I swear it must have been easier to find Osama than it was to find out why our patient needed to go to the hospital.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Double-tap, my bad.

Epi-do

I see dead people
In the ambulance bay, prior to removing the pt & cot from the back of the truck:

Pt (said dead serious and with no humor whatsoever): I don't know if it was you or the roads, but that was a horrible trip.

Me: It's the roads. They're terrible.

Pt: Well, I certainly hope so, because that was really bad. I've never had a ride that bad before.

(All with a smile on my face, while thinking, next time get in your caddy and drive yourself!)

Yep, I hate old biddies!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Patients who think that just because they have something means they know everything about it... such as a diabetic I ran on once a shift for a few weeks. He got angry when I told his family to keep an eye on him and make sure he eats some real food and watch out for when he takes his insulin. His BGL was 160 after some D50 (20 before) and he kept saying

Him: "That's too high, I need to take some insulin" (baseline BGL is 140...)

Me "No sir, you just need to eat some real food. The D50 is what made it that high and that will wear off really fast and you'll crash without some real food and we'll be back to where we were 15 minutes ago"

Him "Who knows more about this, me that's had it for 30 years or you?!"

Me "Clearly me sir, since I have to keep getting called out here to help you"

He hasn't needed D50 since ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
When I offer someone some chips, and they reach their entire fist into the bag, push the sides of the bag down, and crush all the chips they don't take.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
When I see a health professional of any type conduct a fluid bolus/challenge by turning the IV pump up to 999mls/hr.

jamesm

Forum Probie
This may be an Australian thing but my pet peev is "she'll be right mate" here is something that happened last week

We had an electrician that fall off a dragline when he was changing a light bulb, so we climbed on up set up our rigging system and I abseiled down and attached him to the rescue line and we both made it to the ground and cleared the fall zone. Anyways a little time go's by I worked out he needed to go to hospital.

Me: "alright, when your ready hop up into the ambulance and we will take you to the gate and let QAS (Queensland Ambulance Service) take you to the hospital"

Electrician: "Nah it's ok, she'll be right mate"

Me: "No.. it's not alright, you fell two stories, your harness saved you and now I'm quite sure your nuts are jammed between your two cerebral hemispheres"

Electrician: "Alright, best we get going"

To be honest I had no idea why I said that and at the time it was pretty funny becuase the Mine Rescue Captain is like laughing his *** off.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
- When a patient says they are 10/10 pain, then goes ballistic (NO NEEDLES!) when you tell them you need to put a needle in their hand/arm to start an IV

- Pt's whinging and moaning about waiting when they are on our stretcher/wheelchair waiting for a bed in the ED for their non-acute ailment, especially when we have spent hours already that day baby-sitting patients in hospital corridors

- Family members who 'follow you' up to hospital, almost tail-gaiting you with their car while their non-acute husband/sister/partner/whatever is in the back.

- Pts who are asleep and that you have to awake when you roll up at 3am, and they arent dead/ ALOC :p

- The words shock/shocky. 'She's going into shock, i'm in shock' to describe nervous/emotional response to a situation.

- Pts who tell me they have no medical Hx, then list the 10 prescription only meds they are taking.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
I hate whiners and pissy EMTs that are burnouts and think they are worth more than their title. I hate the burnout ER nurses that hate getting any pt. into their care.

Dpiner42

Forum Probie
It is insurance.

Besides, who requires upfront insurance information?

We don't REQUIRE it, but we ask for it to make life interesting. It's just nice to see the people taxpayers pay for go to the hospital via an ambulance for that stubbed toe.