My 2 cents...

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
I didn't care what FD/PD or anyone else thought. I was in it strictly to save lives. I had a day job as a professional. And it seems to me many of the posters do not. They seek personal recognition or aggrandizement through EMS, which is their chosen career path.

It is irrational to train for 120 hours, pass a written examination constructed to be comprehended at the 8th-grade level (which is the reading level of most high-school educated adults in the United States), a practical examination designed for you to pass, and expect to command the same degree of respect as either a cop or a firefighter, period.

The original post is confusing. I, too question what the actual question(s) is/are. However, this quoted section above appears to make a sweeping generalization/stereotype of professional EMTs/medics. He says he had a day job as a professional but many of the posters don't. I didn't know that a full-time EMS wasn't a profession. Guess I've been wrong all of these years. And I also didn't know that respect is based upon number of hours completed in your training. So by his thinking, I guess EMTs are at the bottom of the respect food chain. LOL!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I was trying to figure out what emergency lights are allowed in Maryland for "Vollies" while operating personal vehicles. The law says "red and white" with consent.
the easiest answer to this question: http://bfy.tw/DytT
In conducting further research, many members of the EMTLife forum cynically implied not helping or endangering your family's life when happening upon an emergency after calling 911 may the best course of action. The PD/FD [insert whatever agency you want here] will not respect you if you hit your "discos" or ill-advised light bar to safely render assistance. The posts seemed to be generated by certain members.
ehh, whatever.
As a former volunteer EMT-D with over thirty years experience in the trenches with Trenton Vollies, Brooklyn Voliies and Wyandanch-Wheatley Heights Vollies and a number of paid ambulance services part-time; service at Ground Zero on 9/11, which left me "totally and completely" disabled, to say I was stunned by these posts would be an understatement.
Assuming you mean Trenton NJ, you know TEMS has been the primary provider for Trenton since 1981, backed up Trenton PD due to little help from the volunteer squads right? and Brooklyn's EMS system (well, NYC in general) is a general disaster, and respected by NYC and by no one else, and the volunteers that jump calls don't help. and Volunteer EMS on long island won't impress anyone. Now if you had listed some of your paid ambulance service experience, that might have given you some street cred, instead of listing some inactive volunteer EMS agencies in a big city environment.
I have always aided pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists involved in accidents or suffering medical distress without seeking either fanfare or recognition. It was the right thing to do. And my reward came from knowing I possessed the skills to either provide "first aid" or save a life, period. The victims were invariably grateful.

I was always highly respected and even commanded most scenes I came upon by both Fire and Police. I used my personal vehicle, or offered my assistance as a "Member of Service" while walking, or responded to calls as a member of the aforementioned agencies.
why are you commanding scenes when FD or PD are on scene? I'm confused.
I didn't care what FD/PD or anyone else thought. I was in it strictly to save lives. I had a day job as a professional. And it seems to me many of the posters do not. They seek personal recognition or aggrandizement through EMS, which is their chosen career path.
not sure how to respond to this, other than I'm a little embarrassed for you. And if have been in this field for 30 years, how many lives have you really saved???
It is irrational to train for 120 hours, pass a written examination constructed to be comprehended at the 8th-grade level (which is the reading level of most high-school educated adults in the United States), a practical examination designed for you to pass, and expect to command the same degree of respect as either a cop or a firefighter, period.
when I was in NJ working in urban cities, I commanded the same level of respect (sometimes more) as most firefighters, as well as cops (at least in the eyes of the general public). But then again, I never felt inadequate except when it came to my salary and pension system..... and by the way, firefighter I, which is the minimum standard for career firefighters in NJ, is around 120 hours (it probably has gotten longer since I originally took it, but then again, so has EMT).

so what are you asking about again?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Wut is happening.

Was this to just deride people that aren't EMS zealots, always searching for the next person they can help?