Muslim Girl

OP
OP
Easternemt

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
As long as they don't let their religion define their interactions with others, I'm OK with it. That being said, the elephant in the room is public opinion and the perceptions of our patients. I've run racist old asshats with black partners and never had a problem, but at the same time, my partners were entirely professional, well-dressed and did not argue with patients, because that's not an argument to have. I'm not sure how a Muslim partner here in Oklahoma would be treated by a lot of our patients. My suspicion is that a female would be received far more easily than a male Muslim. Female Muslim in American minds = safe. Male Muslim in orthodox clothing = ?, and that's a shame.

Sadly, my time in Iraq was marred by quite a few 'Muslims' (entirely male) who did nothing but blame everyone else for their problems. Blaming Israel for your dermatitis, etc. It got frustrating after a while. Then again, these Muslims were anything but 'devout'.

Personally, the one type of partner I cannot stand is the ultra-devout, preachy Christian ones who attribute things to God.

Hello RocketMedic,

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I was not asking how you believe I will be treated in the field; a patient’s intolerance and ignorance towards my religion is certainly not my concern when I’m trying to help care for them (as long as I’m not in danger). Born and raised here in the
US I think I have a good idea of how people here view me and my religion. Some are accepting and some aren't and that is totally fine with me. :)

I was simply asking if anyone has ever been in a similar situation where they have been asked to step off because of any type of discrimination towards them.

Thank you for your input anyway. :)

OP
OP
Easternemt

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
I say stick to your beliefs. For every person who refuses your help there will be another who I absolutely comforted by it. The world needs to abolish treating people differently because of their beliefs and it will not happen by stealthily hiding behind a surgical hat. It will be accomplished by people like you delivering caring excellent care in a head dress and showing the people that your religious beliefs are not a factor. The key though is that you need to not be offended by their rejection. You need to stay professional and helpful at all times. It will not be easy, but the people who reject you for those beliefs are the ones that need to get closer to God. You need to be tolerant and patient with their ignorance while maintaining your faith.

Thank you for that response, I appreciate the positive advice. I have always enjoyed working in undeserved clinics and continue to volunteer there whenever I can. Working in these clinics I've always encountered curious patients as well as the ignorant ones who like to rudely stare and try to make me feel uncomfortable. It has never bothered me I just work and do what I've been trained to do, at the end of the day I know I ‘m providing excellent care. I’m a competent professional and I've always been very patient in whatever hardships I've been put through.

Again, thank you for that reply! :)

OP
OP
Easternemt

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
First, know that there will ALWAYS be some reason a person does not like you or will misjudge you. I have had people refuse care because I am male, I have had patients refuse care from me simply because we did not get a proper rapport established right away. It happens...not every encounter is going to be textbook perfect. The trick is knowing when you can or cannot overcome the challenge and if/when you should step aside and let your partner handle it. It just happens, but that is life.

I totally agree with this! Do you work as a medic in Afghanistan?

OP
OP
Easternemt

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
Check the definition of "can't stand."

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?rd=1&word=can't+stand

Language is powerful stuff. Imagine if I said "Wear the hijab if you want to, but I can't stand working with Muslims and their high standards of modesty."

That's living out intolerance. All intolerant language, no matter how flippant, is intolerant.

I believe that the God of the Bible created the earth in all is complexity, revealed it through science, and guides and strengthens me in my work. So, when I manage to pull off something pretty remarkable, I'm thankful to God in His inspiration, empowering me to git 'er done. That makes me a useful tool in the hand of an omnipotent God. I like it.

BTW- Muslims believe that too.

Hello abckidsmom, ;)

Finally nice to get to reply to you! I've always enjoyed reading your posts and the mountain of knowledge I get from them. You're a very wise woman. :)

OP
OP
Easternemt

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
.....in fact I really dig JP's idea of still covering your hair said:
Hello ExpatMedic0,

May I ask why you think this is a better choice for me?

I enjoyed the article in the website you provided, great website as well! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I used the word God in my answer and it stirred up a hornets nest.

I assure you it had nothing to do with the fact you mentioned a god, it had everything to do with what you said and how you said it. To paint with such a large brush and immediately assume those who have issue with your belief are the ones who need it most is asinine and intolerant. This is what I had issue with. This is also the basic tenet of Christian teachings...if you are not with us, you are against us, you are less than us, you need help...which is complete and utter bull. You are judging and displaying intolerance...

I expect a reply of "I was not judging you, only sharing what my god has instructed me to do" which is a very political way of explaining away your own intolerance and hypocrisy. Because the directive comes from a higher power of your choosing I am supposed to respect that? What if my higher power gives different orders?

Anyways, this post was not to debate the merits of one faith or another, it was to specifically address the wearing of a hijab in an EMS setting. Sorry for the tangent but I was not going to allow that little snippet to slide as it was a gross misrepresentation of the actual offense.

To the original poster--Yes, I have been primarily in Afghanistan for the past 7 years. I conduct a lot of business in the UAE as well so I have had my fair share of immersion in the Muslim world.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
I had a muslim woman in my AEMT class. She just wore a dark blue or black hijab and made sure any loose ends were tucked in to her uniform shirt collar. No problems whatsoever. I think having the hijab really gave her something to not only talk to us about, but also to the patients she treated.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Does it affect her job? can she do the job? do I have to pick up her slack or do more work because she's a Muslim? Than I don't care.

I do know some Muslim women won't have physical contact with men....which makes it hard to be an EMT, especially when you force your partner to do all the assessments.

Or if you need to take 45 minute breaks to pray 3 times during your shift, that makes it hard to work as an EMT.

If a patient has a problem with you, they can refuse care. oh well, their ignorance and bigotry isn't your problem.

Your partner's shouldn't have a problem, nor should management. As long as they don't have a problem with your head coverings (and they shouldn't), and you don't take advantage (which i don't think you will?), you shouldn't have any problems.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Let me clarify something. A Muslim surgical resident continually wearing a surgical cap is not the same as a Muslim [not someone regularly in and out of the OR] wearing a surgical cap. It was an observation, not a suggestion. I don't care what religion you are, you cross the red line going into the OR, you're wearing scrubs and a hat. If you're in and out of the OR, it just makes sense to not take off the hat, especially if your religion dictates the necessity of a head cover. There are plenty of Muslim students/residents/attendings at my hospital that wear a hijab without apology when on the floors.

The only reason I would suggest the OP consider something like that isn't for discrimination, but for operational needs. The hijab is going to present something for psych patients to grab onto and a potential snag hazard at scenes like MVCs.

OP
OP
Easternemt

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
Let me clarify something. A Muslim surgical resident continually wearing a surgical cap is not the same as a Muslim [not someone regularly in and out of the OR] wearing a surgical cap. It was an observation, not a suggestion. I don't care what religion you are, you cross the red line going into the OR, you're wearing scrubs and a hat. If you're in and out of the OR, it just makes sense to not take off the hat, especially if your religion dictates the necessity of a head cover. There are plenty of Muslim students/residents/attendings at my hospital that wear a hijab without apology when on the floors.

The only reason I would suggest the OP consider something like that isn't for discrimination, but for operational needs. The hijab is going to present something for psych patients to grab onto and a potential snag hazard at scenes like MVCs.

Hello JPINFV,

I fully understood what you were saying in your first post, it did confuse me when others thought you meant I should do as the resident does. But no worries I understood you perfectly! :)

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hello ExpatMedic0,

May I ask why you think this is a better choice for me?

I enjoyed the article in the website you provided, great website as well! :)

In a perfect world, I would say to wear your headscarf proudly, its a part of your faith, which is a part of who you are. However, this is not a perfect world, and depending on your location it sounds like maybe it is causing some unpleasant reactions from idiots. That is why I cover my tattoos at work. If it was me, I would try the surgeon cap or a possibly some kind of uniform hat. See how silly it looks and if you think it could work, the surgeon cap may not work with your uniform like it will with scrubs.
If all else fails just keep wearing your headscarf, if it causes a lot of problems for you I would consider moving to a bigger city in a more diverse area. If you can get your Paramedic and put in 2 years ALS experience you can come work with me in UAE or Qatar lol. Our female Paramedics can wear one, no problem!

OP
OP
Easternemt

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
In a perfect world, I would say to wear your headscarf proudly, its a part of your faith, which is a part of who you are. However, this is not a perfect world, and depending on your location it sounds like maybe it is causing some unpleasant reactions from idiots. That is why I cover my tattoos at work. If it was me, I would try the surgeon cap or a possibly some kind of uniform hat. See how silly it looks and if you think it could work, the surgeon cap may not work with your uniform like it will with scrubs.
If all else fails just keep wearing your headscarf, if it causes a lot of problems for you I would consider moving to a bigger city in a more diverse area. If you can get your Paramedic and put in 2 years ALS experience you can come work with me in UAE or Qatar lol. Our female Paramedics can wear one, no problem!

You know that's not such a bad idea! I used to be a translator for German doctors in a hospital when I was 15 back in the Middle East (which is what got me into EMS in the first place). What company do you work for there and are you currently there ? Also, do you work with any muslim female medics?

As for the hijab, I hope I didn't make it seem like I'm subjected to racial slurs on a daily basis. It was just that one time in fact the only time I've been discriminated against. The town I live in has been very good to me! :)
So my hijab will stay as it is, I was just curious to know why someone would think its a better idea to change it.

Do you know how odd It would look wearing a surgeons cap!? lol :p

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
ya probably pretty weird for an EMT lol. Ill send you a pm with that company info

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Didn't we have a participant here much earlier who was an observant Muslim? Wish she were still on to comment.

If it is of any mutual comfort with a rueful grin, my nursing college GPA went up and clinicals seemed to get less pressured once I shaved off my USAF moustache. I was denied student housing based on my gender, had multiple instructors ask why I didn't want to go to medical school (no it wasn't a compliment, doctors were our natural enemies), I could not do a rotation in labor and delivery and one patient refused me as a male student...although that was because he was a lech and wanted a young female. On one occasion someone who knew my whereabouts (library) called my wife to tell her I was actually with a female classmate...and that someone had my home phone number, not widely known or listed at the time.

OP, if thy have a problem with that, beware other institutional crapola.

I understood where this came from, partly because sympathetic faculty confirmed that I was not imagining I, but I stood firm and kept my

JPINFV

Gadfly
Didn't we have a participant here much earlier who was an observant Muslim? Wish she were still on to comment.

If it is of any mutual comfort with a rueful grin, my nursing college GPA went up and clinicals seemed to get less pressured once I shaved off my USAF moustache. I was denied student housing based on my gender, had multiple instructors ask why I didn't want to go to medical school (no it wasn't a compliment, doctors were our natural enemies), I could not do a rotation in labor and delivery and one patient refused me as a male student...although that was because he was a lech and wanted a young female. On one occasion someone who knew my whereabouts (library) called my wife to tell her I was actually with a female classmate...and that someone had my home phone number, not widely known or listed at the time.

In other words... go to medical school. More money, less drama. Much much less drama.

OP
OP
Easternemt

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
In other words... go to medical school. More money, less drama. Much much less drama.

Yup true! I'm still young and very eager to learn. I feel like I won't ever grow tired of learning about the human body and medicine...so medical school is still an option. :)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If we had a sticky for "The Most Important Lessons About Working With Patients", the fourth or fifth rule would be "Do not try to stair-step through categories. Go for your final goal, and aim high".

JPINV, the moral was that being a male nursing student in the Midwest USA in 1981-85 was not as easy as it may be now in some aspects. 27 of us started out of a class of 265; of us, four went straight through, and one of the four swore he would never become a nurse and was going back to bartending.

I was mistaken about what nursing meant, but I was certain that I was not going to medical school (although I did look into PA school but was waved off by one of my anatomy professors).

I also experienced some selfless, and on one occasion anonymous, vital assistance from staff and faculty. And endless support and faith from my wife. And 3/4 tuition assistance from the Guard. And old style GI Bill loans....

OP
OP
Easternemt

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone,

Well I had my interview today and I think they really liked me. I'm so excited!!! But I'm really glad I got it over with lol