Moving to the Puget Sound area

crubs

Forum Probie
I've swept through the job market in southern WA and northern OR and have come up dry. I hear there are more opportunities in the Seattle/Puget Sound area, and so I intend to move there to get a summer job.

What agencies are available for hiring an EMT-B in that region?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Here is the "short list" of agencies in pierce, king, and snohomish counties as well as one in kitsap county.

AMR
TRI-MED
RURAL METRO
FALCK
OLYMPIC

Oh and northwest ambulance. But they are further north.

OP
OP
C

crubs

Forum Probie
Alright, I've filled out applications to all of those.

Any other agencies?

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
Alright, I've filled out applications to all of those.

Any other agencies?

There's not much else, especially if you're just looking for a short term summer job. If you're looking for something longer term, and have experience, there's a handful of other options; for example, you could always try testing for south King County Medic One next time they're hiring, but landing a spot there is comparable to getting hired by a fire department in difficulty.

EMS in the area is fire department with the occasional third service or hospital based program (All of which tend to have very low turnover and don't hire often). Private ambulance companies do interfacility transport, and, depending on where, transport from the field at the request of the first-responding fire unit.

Hmm. Cascade Ambulance up in Bellingham (A few hours north of Seattle) wasn't in FireWa1's list. Island Hospital in Anacortes is hiring, but I think that's mostly on-call for discharges from the hospital. East of the mountains there are a few more companies.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Todd's shipyard occasionally hires EMTs. As does Amazon.
Wild Waves in Tacoma hires EMTs.

OP
OP
C

crubs

Forum Probie
ALS, AMR, Ballard. A few others.

Name 'em all, because I'll apply to anyone that will take me. This is my last ditch effort. After this my national certification is likely to expire without me getting any work experience at all.

And I can't find any 'Ballard Ambulance' on the internet...

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
The first link on Google when I typed in "Ballard Ambulance" was for an ambulance service in Wenatchee Washington...

OP
OP
C

crubs

Forum Probie
I'm just asking about a website bro, no need to be rude about it. I called them and they just had me send in a resume, that's done.

NomadicMedic

I'm just calling you out for being lazy, bro. If you really couldn't find Ballard Ambulance with your no doubt amazing Google Fu, and then asked if they had a website… Come on. Seriously?

You got a nice big fat list of places to put your application.

And not for nothing, I would bet that none of those places will hire an inexperienced EMT just for the summer. Hate to be the bearer of bad news… But it looks like you'll be taking a refresher.

Oh, sorry… Was I being rude?

Drax

Forum Captain
Google searches

"Emt b jobs king county"
"Emt b jobs pierce county"

Click on the first indeed.com link on both of those.

OP
OP
C

crubs

Forum Probie
I'm just calling you out for being lazy, bro. If you really couldn't find Ballard Ambulance with your no doubt amazing Google Fu, and then asked if they had a website… Come on. Seriously?

I don't understand, do you think I came here and asked without searching for "Ballard Ambulance" first? Honestly, how much ATP do you think I saved? When I searched for "Ballard Ambulance" I saw an address and phone number but wanted to see a website so that I could get more information and an application. Whereas I failed to find a "Ballard Ambulance" website (at least for a WA agency with that name), I assumed I was missing something or that the website was obscure, so I posted here noting that I failed to find it. Phone calls tend to trigger anxiety in me (I'm not sure why), but I got impatient and called them anyways.

I don't see what's so lazy about asking for help when need help finding something. And no, you were not just calling me out for being lazy. I honestly would have taken little offense if you had just came out and said it, but no you just had be sassy, clever, and disrespectful by asking if I was so incompetent that I must have other people do everything for me.

And not for nothing, I would bet that none of those places will hire an inexperienced EMT just for the summer. Hate to be the bearer of bad news… But it looks like you'll be taking a refresher.

This wasn't rude, if anything it was just redundant information. I know that getting a job in EMS without experience is highly improbable (has little to do with time of year or projected period of employment), hence why I am going out of my way and applying to every agency around the state. And of course I'll be taking a refresher; the NREMT requires that for recertification regardless.

Oh, sorry… Was I being rude?

Your post up until you made this insolent comment wasn't rude. Again, you continue to taunt me with your sassy, clever, socially dominating comments. I'm quickly reminded of my high school bullies who easily trampled me due to my social clumsiness, and I'm frightened to see that they have entered a field meant for those who want to help people.

All I wanted was help finding agencies that I might qualify to work for. I already have a list of licensed agencies in WA; I hoped you could help me narrow them down, but I guess it's time for me to stop being "lazy" and research them individually on my own.

I have no intention of reading any new comments on this thread, or for that matter, returning to this form at all since members here clearly have issues regarding respect and attitude. But please, feel free to reply to my post with the most clever, sassy, pride-saver you guys can muster. Go ahead and comment how I'm so incompetent, stupid, lazy, unattractive, and straight-up undesirable that I don't even qualify for a fast food job. Comment on how I'm such a failure in life that even as a panhandler I'll fail to make anything. Throw in a few "jo mama" comments and maybe a picture of a cat or a popular meme with an amusing caption. Continue to bash on how idiotic I am for asking for a link to a website just to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Whatever makes you feel good and walk away laughing on how badly you schooled me and got to say the last word. I don't care, I don't plan on coming back.

NomadicMedic

My apologies. Sometimes internet frustration gets the better of me.

Let me explain why this particular topic chafes me, and then perhaps my response may carry a bit less sting.

EMS in the Seattle area is a different animal. It’s not like anything you’re used to.

First, there is a MASSIVE overabundance of EMTs. The local programs churn out hundreds of EMTs every year and there are precious few jobs. Think 100 applicants for each position. Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but it’ll suffice for the sake of illustration. I can say with certainty that at least 50% of the EMTs who complete a course in King County will NEVER have the opportunity to affiliate and receive a card. I know that several agencies have newly minted paramedics filling EMT slots, due to the lack of open medic positions outside King County.

I know that getting a job in EMS without experience is highly improbable (has little to do with time of year or projected period of employment), hence why I am going out of my way and applying to every agency around the state. And of course I'll be taking a refresher; the NREMT requires that for recertification regardless.

The process for initial certification in Washington works like this; If and when you’re hired at an agency they agree to “affiliate” you as an EMT. Your paperwork will travel several times between Olympia and, in the case of King County, Seattle. The initial affiliation process takes upwards of 6 weeks and wait times of 2 to three months are not uncommon. To believe that you can obtain a summer job without prior affiliation in Washington is absurd. By the time your card arrives and you finish FTO/training, the summer is over. So, even if you DID tip the meter, the idea that an agency will commit time to an employee that has very limited ability to work, while there are dozens of full time applicants waiting in the wings is silly. The plain and simple fact is that there are LOTS more EMTs than available jobs in King County. You will simply not be hired without experience or a previous relationship.

When I made the comment about the refresher, it was in reply to,
… because I'll apply to anyone that will take me. This is my last ditch effort. After this my national certification is likely to expire without me getting any work experience at all.
You eluded that unless you were hired, your cert would expire without any experience. I was noting that you should probably schedule your refresher now, as you most likely will NOT gain employment soon enough to re-certify via Continuing Education. I’ve attached a link for your review. https://www.nremt.org/nremt/EMTServices/recert_info.asp

As to my calling you lazy; I firmly believe that getting off your butt and putting in the effort to find agencies and SPEAK directly with those people making hiring decisions is the ONLY way to make your application stand out from the crowd. There are hundreds of applications filling up the inbox in every HR person’s email. So, yeah… simply submitting a resume on line with zero follow up is more than a little lazy. And if you have telephone anxiety, there’s no better time to get over it than now.

Go ahead and comment how I'm so incompetent, stupid, lazy, unattractive, and straight-up undesirable that I don't even qualify for a fast food job. Comment on how I'm such a failure in life that even as a panhandler I'll fail to make anything. Throw in a few "jo mama" comments and maybe a picture of a cat or a popular meme with an amusing caption.

I can make no comment on your competence, attractiveness, desirability or panhandling skills. However, I will say that your use of hyperbole is excellent. Perhaps you’re better suited to a career in politics. And as a final comment, I’d add that if you find my response that much of a blow to your ego, that you have to "pick up your toys and go home", you’ll need a much thicker skin if you ever do find EMS employment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drax

Forum Captain
Throw in a few "jo mama" comments and maybe a picture of a cat or a popular meme with an amusing caption.

UfpVqL3.jpg