Moving to Dallas, TX - Where to apply?

MedicCallie

Forum Ride Along
I'll be moving from Michigan back to Dallas in January.

I know a lot of companies service hospital transports, but I'm looking for a Paramedic position with a company with a quality reputation for emergency and non-emergency medical transport. I really take a lot of pride in my patient care, and would like to work for a company that is similar in this aspect.

I currently work in an area where AMR is, and they have a good reputation around town. Is this similiar in Dallas? I'll be in Mesquite, but I'm willing to commute.

Any suggestions or tips for the community would also be great in advance! :)

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The DeathStar has by all accounts a very good reputation. Plus the only place your going to get emergent transport. PM Linuss for details.

AMR Arlington is mixed, good equipment, sketchy management depending on who you ask. The problem is you generally have to work AMR Dallas to get there...

Acadian is new in town. Heard good things from other areas. Careflite is hiring and has 911 operations down south.

I do the clinical oversight for one of the largest IFT service in the Metroplex We run a fair number of emergent calls, but no 911 contracts. We have our benefits and our problems. PM me for details.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
911 or IFT/CCT? I know MedStar has a good rep. If I didn't like where I worked so much they'd be high on my list of places to apply to. They do 911 in Ft. Worth.

Other than that some of the Texas guys will have to comment, I don't know a whole lot about other companies down there.

Meh, Kyle beat me to it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

MedicCallie

Forum Ride Along
I'm sorry, I should of preface this with that the fact that I have NO want to work in fire. I love working with firefighters, but I don't want to work as a firefighter. :)

Our system up here in mainly private sector for 911. Our fire dept is MFR's who arrive 3-4 mins, while our private company arrives later.

I would like to work 911. Does 911 companies ever do IFT? We do both up here, so I'm experienced with both.

Hate to sound naive, but is there really a company called DEATH Star, or is that some loving nickname? "The DeathStar has by all accounts a very good reputation" Isn't this an oxymoron? ;)

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Hate to sound naive, but is there really a company called DEATH Star, or is that some loving nickname? "The DeathStar has by all accounts a very good reputation" Isn't this an oxymoron? ;)

Old habit lol. When I moved here in 2004 you did NOT work for MedStar. Then they kicked R/M out, took over there own ops and really turned things around.

scoot

Forum Ride Along
Careflite is hiring and has 911 operations down south.

Are you sure CareFlite is hiring? Every position on their website links to a page that says "We are no longer accepting applications for this position."

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I know a lot of companies service hospital transports, but I'm looking for a Paramedic position with a company with a quality reputation for emergency and non-emergency medical transport. I really take a lot of pride in my patient care, and would like to work for a company that is similar in this aspect.

The only places that match that criteria that do 911 in DFW are MedStar, CareFlite, Granbury/Hood county and Wise County. You won't get that with AMR in DFW, be it the 911s in Arlington, Collin and Hunt counties, or transfer in Dallas. What you WILL get at AMR Arlington is getting to act like FDs biatch.

MedStar and CareFlite both do 911 interspersed with IFT / transports. As a general rule, MedStar is more urban and busy, while CareFlite is more rural and slower, both have close to the same type of protocols.

Each of the companies that do transfers tend to have their own zones that they tend to control, like when I worked in Dallas a while ago, CareFlite tended to have the south and western parts, AMR had the northern and central, and the east was a few different companies. MedStar is the only ambulance provider legally allowed to do transfers originating in their service area.

OP
OP
M

MedicCallie

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the replies!

As a general rule, MedStar is more urban and busy, while CareFlite is more rural and slower, both have close to the same type of protocols.
Do you mean company standards, or medical control?

Are these companies staffed medic/medic or medic/basic in the trucks, or is it based on company? I am a fairly new paramedic, and wonder if this would be looked down upon on a resume.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Do you mean company standards, or medical control?

Are these companies staffed medic/medic or medic/basic in the trucks, or is it based on company? I am a fairly new paramedic, and wonder if this would be looked down upon on a resume.

I mean medical control wise. CareFlite is a collaboration between a bunch of local hospitals which have input in how it's run. MedStar is it's own PUM/government entity with input from the cities it works in and the Ft Worth area hospitals. Both are pretty equal as far as medical direction goes, with RSI more prevalent at MedStar (not in use, but availability)

MedStar is typically medic/basic, and ditto with CareFlite. There are exceptions, obviously, but M/B is the norm.

There's several medics I work with that got hired fresh out of school. The hiring / academy / FTO process does its job and weeding out people who don't need to be on a truck, and I can say that there has yet to be a single medic I've worked with that I wouldn't trust with my family (which is good, since they all live in the service area). (Now.. FD personnel... we won't go there)

As long as you know your stuff, you should have no issues. The hardest part is actually getting the interview, especially when neither is currently hiring Paramedics. However you said it's some time in the future, so I'm sure something will pop up.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Looks like CareFlight now has a couple of Full-Time openings. Does anyone know how they work the flight division of the company. Do they ever hire for Flight or is it an internal promotion which likely takes forever and a day for a position to open up?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
They routinely post positions for the flight positions online, and I'm sure they have internal postings as well.