Mouth to Mouth

Would you Do Mouth to Mouth with out a barrier?

• Total voters

Sasha

Forum Chief
Okay, before we hijack the other thread any further I figured this would be good use put to a poll.

Would you do mouth to mouth on someone who arrested?

I, personally, wouldn't unless I knew them incredibly well. But I also live in an area where the ambulance is 5 minutes away or less.

Edit: For those of you who are unfamiliar with Mr. Bean's CPR technique: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1mEqg8WArQ[/Youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Done it, and yes if someone's life was really in need of it; I would. Sorry, the brain needs oxygen and I can share. Don't think I really could live with myself knowing I with held care. What is going to hurt? Your chances of recieving worse things can come by touching door handles and shaking hands.

R/r 911

AlaskaEMT

Forum Crew Member
A family member or friend, yes, without hesitation.

Otherwise, no.

spnx

Forum Crew Member
Ooops, meant to click "only if I knew them well".

I pretty much always have a barrier device with me though.

If they're in arrest, just compressions can be done until some fetches a mask.

spnx

Forum Crew Member
That was funny. Usually I like Mr Bean, but watching that one drove me crazy!

RotorFib

Forum Probie
Is there any evidence of any health care worker ever catching anything from giving mouth to mouth? So, really more fear mongering for companies to make millions selling all these barrier devices :p

Have done it on two occasions in last 17-18 years and without hesitation

Hockey

Quackers
I prefer the Mr. Bean method, but thats how I roll.

I work in some DIRTY areas of the city (Where you can seriously catch anything), so would I to every single person I come across? Eh probably not. But I would do it, to pretty much anyone. As long as they don't have vommit, blood, crap or anything else that can possibly harm me anymore , then why not.

Hockey

Quackers
Bahaha Mr. Bean, that was classic. The battery jumping part with the ambulance is something that would happen here it seems

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm glad to see that the "Only if they looked clean" option hasn't been selected, because that would just be sad.

The patients I've seen walking around with AIDS, TB, etc... beautiful young successful and clean-cut women... you just can't tell. If you can tell if a patient has an infectious disease just by looking at them, you're magical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey

Quackers
I'm glad to see that the "Only if they looked clean" option hasn't been selected, because that would just be sad.

The patients I've seen walking around with AIDS, TB, etc... beautiful young successful and clean-cut women... you just can't tell. If you can tell if a patient has an infectious disease just by looking at them, you're magical.

Woot! Well said

When I said clean, I meant by the blood, fecal, vomit etc :)

But I agree. When people say Na Uh they usually have never been presented with that situation. And until you do, you really have no right to answer this question

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
I said no. The only exception would be for a child because I know that their need for immediate oxygen is greater than an adult.

Hockey

Quackers
I said no. The only exception would be for a child because I know that their need for immediate oxygen is greater than an adult.

I'm going to quote Sasha here

Why do children deserve special treatments over adults? A life is still a life.

Sorry Princess, but you can't pick and choose in this field. I know its hard when its a kid. But if your going to help, it should be flat on the table.

Thats almost like saying I'm only going to help a white person

Regarding needing oxygen more fast? A body is a body. They may need it a tad faster. But its not going to matter between a kid and an adult.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Is there any evidence of any health care worker ever catching anything from giving mouth to mouth? So, really more fear mongering for companies to make millions selling all these barrier devices :p

The advantage of working in a hospital, I know what my patients and some co-workers have. If a patient is coming to the hospital because they are sick, they may also have other existing conditions and infections. If a healthy child jumps into the backyard pool and drowns, that may be a different situation.

The hospitals I work for have a strict policy: No Mouth to Mouth. If Mouth to Mouth is done, workmen's comp may be denied. This is made very clear.

Here are the diseases that have been documented to have been transmitted during CPR:

herpes simplex
Neisseria meningitidis
TB
salmonella
shigella
Neisseria gonorrhoeae
Streptococcus pyogenes

Hep C and HIV: but only when direct contact with blood and a break in the providers skin. Hep C being the easier of the two to be contracted.

Review of the risk of salivary transmission of the major communicable diseases was found to be exceedingly low or nonexistent with the possible exception of CMV, which is a concern for women of childbearing age.

You will find references to these in the CPR manuals and the literature that has been used to support Compressions Only CPR as well as the earlier editions for infection control. Those of you that have been around awhile will know the most incidences of disease spreading occurred during CPR classes until barriers become mandatory. Just wiping the manikin mouth off with alcohol between students wasn't getting the job done.

The reason more diseases have not been documented is the reason Compressions Only CPR has been promoted. Also, professional healthcare providers, especially those that work in the hospitals and read lab results, know what the possibilities are and will take precautions.

Off duty, I carry a cell phone to call 911. I can teach a family member of the patient to do mouth to mouth in less than 10 seconds. I do not announce to the world I am a Paramedic. I do not have vanity plates on my car nor to I wear some tacky T-shirt announcing my profession.

The companies that make millions selling all these barrier devices know there are "enthusiasts" who want to stuff their car trunks full of these things. These companies primarily sell to schools, training centers and suppliers of first-aid kits. That in itself is profitable.

I am not opposed to having easy access to a barrier device for CPR in an unexpected situation. But, just like condoms, when they are carried around unused for long periods of time, they may provide ineffective protection.

I equate my chance of doing mouth to mouth on someone the same as any other scene safety situation. If the scene is not safe or I do not have the proper equipment, I will do what I can but I will not make their emergency become a permanent part of my medical history if I can avoid it. I have enough chances for exposure without knowingly and willingly creating another one.

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
I'm going to quote Sasha here

Sorry Princess, but you can't pick and choose in this field. I know its hard when its a kid. But if your going to help, it should be flat on the table.

Thats almost like saying I'm only going to help a white person

Regarding needing oxygen more fast? A body is a body. They may need it a tad faster. But its not going to matter between a kid and an adult.

When I read the original post, I understood it to mean that the situation is occurring when I am not actually "on the job". Of course when I'm on the job everyone gets equal treatment.

As far as the "I'm only going to help a white person" comparison, not sure where you're coming from or what that has to do in regards to priority.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Whether or not the chances of you getting anything via dirrect mouth to mouth can be debated, I still have a problem with mouth to mouth on a stranger. That previously hyjacked thread made it clear that some of us carry a small (matchbook-sized) infatable pocket mask with us or in the car. But most carry the attitude of, "Oh well, I am just a bystander with no duty to act." I have more dedication to the preservation of human life than that. The moral and ethical duty is still there. That said, no mask = no breaths for me. Sorry, but the reason CPR standards have changed from the old 5:1 to 30:2 is that the realize that great continuous compressions are vital. So, should I h ave no mask then they are getting the best damn compressions I can give until 911 arrives and I can walk away. But becasue of where I live, I chhose to carry one of those miniature barriers and a set of gloves on me all the time. Haven't had to use teeh barrier in 8 years (it's been replaced routinely), bu the gloves are used several times a month in the summer for minor injuries to friends/family while backpacking, fishing, hiking, camping, or boating.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief

Please don't get me wrong, I wouldn't judge someone like that. I put that in there only becuase I have heard people with that "If they look clean" mentality and there are people out there (EMTs and Paramedics, even!) who feel that way.

The last CPR class I took someone mentioned they would never do CPR on a homeless person. When asked why? "They're all drug addicts, and probably have AIDs, Hepatitis and TB!"

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeh I agree. Only if they look clean. :)

MtJerry

Forum Crew Member
NO - unless it's my children or wife.

During my very first CPR experience (I was 18 at the time) the guy threw up in my mouth. Cured me for life.

Scout

Para-Noid
Going to add only if they looked clean,

by clean i mean vomit and suchness, there would of course be a preference for a barrier.

Anyone here half way through a nice kiss ever think and wonder? Kiss and Cpr breathing are quite similar. It really threw off the mood.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief

Have done it on two occasions in last 17-18 years and without hesitation

Actually if I a study came out with evidence on either side I would just laugh...there is really no way to do a controlled experiment on it ^_^

But anyways family members and close friends only for me...