Misdemeanor

pking2024

Forum Ride Along
Hello All,

I have a class b misdemeanor theft in Texas and was convicted of it. I applied to EMT school and now HR is stating that it is under review with the director what do you think my chances are of getting into the class as well as being able to sit for the national exam?

FiremanMike

Just a dude
It really depends on what the crime was. But you need to think downstream as well, because certification is only half the battle. Are you going to make it through hiring boards when they ask about your crime?

OP
OP
P

pking2024

Forum Ride Along
It was a theft but, I talked to the national board and they said it will be a case by case review

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I'm not at all going to ask for details because it's none of my business, but hiring boards absolutely will ask you.

That's all you really need to consider. Schools have the lowest threshold for overlooking things - they want your money. Registry will be a bit tougher, but still have a lower threshold than employers. Employers will expect details and if you sound like a liability, then you wasted your time and money for schooling that you may never get to use.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I agree with what has already been said, but wanted to add that if EMS is really your passion you might be served by being able to show how you've grown and changed since the charge.

I'd take an online course or two related to shoplifting/theft, volunteer, and do whatever I could to show remorse and growth.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I agree with what has already been said, but wanted to add that if EMS is really your passion you might be served by being able to show how you've grown and changed since the charge.

I'd take an online course or two related to shoplifting/theft, volunteer, and do whatever I could to show remorse and growth.
I read that last sentence as taking online courses to improve those skills. 🤣 😂 🤣

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Things I learned in 2 minutes of Googling...

1. Class B Misdemeanor Theft in Texas is stealing property valued between $100-$750

I then googled: "can I work as an EMT in TX with a Class B Misdemeanor"?

It took me to this page: https://www.dshs.texas.gov/dshs-ems-trauma-systems/criminal-history

Part way down, it says case by case and it lists all the criteria which will be considered. However, if you scroll down just a tiny bit more...LO AND BEHOLD!!!! There is a section on how to find out if TX will even allow you to be certified and work BEFORE you take any EMS classes!!

When will this younger generation, some of the most Tech Savy on the planet.....learn how to google? (I guess I am guilty for "enabling" this lack of effort, because I gave them everything on a silver platter).

How can I get my criminal history evaluated prior to enrolling in an EMS course?​

We cannot determine your certification eligibility based on a criminal background history over the phone. You should submit:
  • our Petition for EMS Criminal History Pre-Screening form,
  • the required fee, and
  • a completed Texas Fingerprint Service Code based background check.
We will evaluate your past criminal history after we have receive the proper documentation and fee. Most evaluations are completed within three to six months.
Complete this Petition for EMS Criminal History Pre-Screening form and the Texas Fingerprint Service Code form. To request the fingerprint service code, email EMS Certification