Menstrual blood loss

Medic One

Forum Lieutenant
I think a pad with wings would work better...they self stick to the lip but you could tie the strings in a nice bow knot...my god what has EMS decreased to...just buy a nose clip for the rig or tape to tongue depressors together. Next we will be seeing tv commercials with medics saying:
Squad 51 to rampart we've got
The
Nose bleed somewhat under control but request permission to use the
Heavy flow plugs our pt is on blood thinners.......uh sq51 this is dr bracket start a levafed drip transmit an EKG and give pt 2 midol for cramps...permission denied for heavy flow plugs monitor the pt and transport...Dixie will be standing by waiting for you to come in

Michael - "Medic One"
FF/Paramedic, EMS-Instructor
Pace / Medical Car Driver Lime Rock Park

Last edited by a moderator:

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Can sure tell the women from the men on this topic.

While abnormal bleeding from the vaginal area, whether due to trauma or just female issues can be frustrating to determine the amount of blood loss, is not the issue. The issue is treating the patient appropriately. My question would be and still is "how many pads or tampons have you gone thru in an hour" and "is there clots (large or small) present"? What does your patient look like? We all know that vital signs could be the last to change, yet if you have a patient that presents with typical blood loss signs and symptoms, then you will treat appropriately. I would be greatly dissapointed if anyone of you find it necessary to joke about something that can, has been, and will be something that is a serious and a real situation, for the patient you are treating. I will get down from my soapbox... just saying...

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I was gonna say

"Dang how big are your nostrils dude lol I've got a huge nose and I'm not sure I could make that work :wacko:"

But then I remembered my ex left a box here and I tried it and it fit. Is that weird that I tried it? Hmmm anything for the sake of research I suppose <_<

Wasn't for me, we used them in the ED for the patients.

James007

Forum Ride Along
tampons work great for nose bleeds too.

I can very clearly remember being handed a pad while having a nosebleed in the car...it did the job ! (its a good thing i didnt know what a pad was at that time i might have been reluctant to hold it under my nose:p)

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

While abnormal bleeding from the vaginal area, whether due to trauma or just female issues can be frustrating to determine the amount of blood loss, is not the issue. The issue is treating the patient appropriately. My question would be and still is "how many pads or tampons have you gone thru in an hour" and "is there clots (large or small) present"? What does your patient look like? We all know that vital signs could be the last to change, yet if you have a patient that presents with typical blood loss signs and symptoms, then you will treat appropriately. I would be greatly dissapointed if anyone of you find it necessary to joke about something that can, has been, and will be something that is a serious and a real situation, for the patient you are treating. I will get down from my soapbox... just saying...

And if you have learned anything in this thread aside from who is male and who is female, please let it be that you need to also ask the absorbency level.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
(its a good thing i didnt know what a pad was at that time i might have been reluctant to hold it under my nose:p)

What? Would it have had girl cooties?

I will never understand why people have issues with unused pads/tampons. :rolleyes:

Veneficus

Forum Chief

While abnormal bleeding from the vaginal area, whether due to trauma or just female issues can be frustrating to determine the amount of blood loss, is not the issue. The issue is treating the patient appropriately. My question would be and still is "how many pads or tampons have you gone thru in an hour" and "is there clots (large or small) present"? What does your patient look like? We all know that vital signs could be the last to change, yet if you have a patient that presents with typical blood loss signs and symptoms, then you will treat appropriately.

I don't think anyone is disputing that.

I would be greatly dissapointed if anyone of you find it necessary to joke about something that can, has been, and will be something that is a serious and a real situation, for the patient you are treating. I will get down from my soapbox... just saying...

Actually, I joke about serious real life situations all the time. It is one of my most effective coping mechanisms. I find nothing wrong with it at all.

I am also very aware of what all of the different causes and consequences can be, both from the life threatening standpoint as well as the life altering standpoint. (emotionally, mentally, socially, etc.)

Since patients are commonly first treated by presentation, knowing exactly how much bleeding transpired should really be a point for determining the underlying cause, not the basis of treatment decisions.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
What? Would it have had girl cooties?

I will never understand why people have issues with unused pads/tampons. :rolleyes:

yes, it most certainly world have had girl cooties.

I am a guy and dont understand why we, as a group, have such a problem with it. I guess it is one of those things we will never know/have to deal with. i actually just asked whats normal and got a range of answers from my friends. which means back to the "is this more than normal" question.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
yes, it most certainly world have had girl cooties.

I am a guy and dont understand why we, as a group, have such a problem with it. I guess it is one of those things we will never know/have to deal with. i actually just asked whats normal and got a range of answers from my friends. which means back to the "is this more than normal" question.

Luckily for you, I spend my day with middle schoolers and can teach you how to give yourself a cootie shot so you'll be safe. ^_^

JPINFV

Gadfly
Luckily for you, I spend my day with middle schoolers and can teach you how to give yourself a cootie shot so you'll be safe. ^_^

Circle, circle, dot, dot...

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
I can't believe there is a thread about this haha. Interesting to say the least.

Anjel

Forum Angel

Archymomma

Forum Crew Member
Most providers can't accurately estimate blood loss when the blood is pooling on the floor.

Some lady is probably reading this thread and will take a measuring cup next time she is bleeding and present the results to the medical staff.

Of course we will probably be more focused on figuring out what is wrong with her head they why she is bleeding.

Obviously people here have never heard of a Diva Cup. :p

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Circle, circle, dot, dot...

Damnit, if you already know how to do it, how am I supposed to make any money telling you how!?:p

As for the Diva Cup...I thought maybe we shouldn't complicate things by mentioning it.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Yeah, I had deliberately not mentioned it yet, lol.