Menstrual blood loss

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Maybe the answer to your question will be in the footnotes of this article: http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/data/359/Kohen.html

Here's the paragraph that refers to absorbency classification:

After analyzing the comments, the FDA concluded that the absorbency test methodology and sampling procedures in the proposed rule were appropriate.[91] The FDA had received more than 250 comments arguing that the existing absorbency terms should be standardized.[92] However, the FDA determined that while there remained a question as to the appropriateness of the use of a system of letters to represent absorbency ranges, it was not going to propose standardizing currently used terms of absorbency (i.e., regular, super, and super plus).[93] Thus, the reproposed rule would require that manufacturers of menstrual tampons express absorbency on tampon labeling by using one of six specified absorbency terms.[94] Instead of using the letters A-F, the rule would establish a new set of standardized terms of absorbency, each of which corresponded to a range of absorbency specified in grams: low absorbency (less than or equal to 6 grams); medium absorbency (6-9 grams); medium-high absorbency (9-12 grams); high absorbency (12-15 grams); very high absorbency (15-18 grams); and highest absorbency (above 18 grams).[95] These terms would be required to be more prominent than, and separate from, any other information on the principle display panel except the corresponding numerical range of absorbency.[96]

In any event, it was interesting scanning. Who knew tampons were a medical device?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
never would have thought to look in a law review.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
The only reason why absorbancy is controlled is because once upon a time women were sold on the concept that higher absorbency meant they could change the tampon less often. Of course tampons provide a nice protected environment from the normally acidic vaginal environment. Bacteria loved it, grew, infected the menstrating women, and then she developed toxic shock syndrome. Hence the reason why women are supposed to use the least absorbital possible is so that they change their tampon more often.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
yea, that is in the book, but the absorbtion capacity isn't.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
You pick up some information here and there being female. Not sure if you can find the info in a medical text, but I do believe it is in the information insert that comes in every box of tampons.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
You pick up some information here and there being female. Not sure if you can find the info in a medical text, but I do believe it is in the information insert that comes in every box of tampons.

yea, because I always read the information insert on the box of tampons :rolleyes::unsure::)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Theres information inserts?

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
I went and looked at my Tampax box- there is an insert and it has very small print with that info.

Aidey

Just goes to show you that even if you have $10,000 of medical texts sometimes you just need to ask a woman for the answer :p

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Just goes to show you that even if you have $10,000 of medical texts sometimes you just need to ask a woman for the answer :p

cool, you can write my dissertation for me.

Aidey

No problem, I just can't promise you'll pass! :p

Sorry Vene, I couldn't help tease you guys a little bit. ^_^

JPINFV

Gadfly
Guys will do anything to have a little bit of bathroom reading time. ;)

IIRC the second drawing is the hot one...

No, wait... I was just being curious about what, exactly is below the sink.

That isn't stopping all of the girls from checking the instruction/TSS insert right now...

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
In any event, it was interesting scanning. Who knew tampons were a medical device?

Believe it or not, when my father-in-law cut his legs with the chainsaw last month, both my wife and my mother-in-law were on their cycle....pads will absorb an incredible amount of blood. I should know...for in lieu of anything else being handy, I ripped open the box in the backseat of the truck and used them while holding pressure. My instructor said it best some years ago: Pads and Tampons were designed to absorb blood....

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Believe it or not, when my father-in-law cut his legs with the chainsaw last month, both my wife and my mother-in-law were on their cycle....pads will absorb an incredible amount of blood. I should know...for in lieu of anything else being handy, I ripped open the box in the backseat of the truck and used them while holding pressure. My instructor said it best some years ago: Pads and Tampons were designed to absorb blood....

tampons work great for nose bleeds too.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
tampons work great for nose bleeds too.

I was gonna say

"Dang how big are your nostrils dude lol I've got a huge nose and I'm not sure I could make that work :wacko:"

But then I remembered my ex left a box here and I tried it and it fit. Is that weird that I tried it? Hmmm anything for the sake of research I suppose <_<