Medics Describe Horror of Chimp Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDuckie

Forum Crew Member
Maybe it's time to stop trying to humanize wild animals.. and just let them stay wild animals. You wouldn't play with a pet rattlesnake, why should a chimp be any different?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Maybe it's time to stop trying to humanize wild animals.. and just let them stay wild animals. You wouldn't play with a pet rattlesnake, why should a chimp be any different?

Because he's one of our Community Leaders? :p

chimp2.gif

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
They (the paramedics) conducted an excellent interview!

Of course they did! They give all the gorey details the media wanted to hear and that is probably after some editing.

Healthcare professionals see people when they are most vulnerable. To capitalize on this to get their names in print is just self-serving and they should not be trusted with any patient data.

If I ran to the media every time I had a celebrity or some gorey details that could make headlines, I would have much time for anything else. Oh wait, I would be unemployed after the first story. Both my flight and hospital jobs have ZERO tolerance for this type of self serving crap. Of course the state would also have something to say about it.

karaya,
Didn't we discuss state privacy laws in another thread?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, and quit trying to hijack every thread with your educational standards rant.
That's almost impossible to avoid, since really, every issue in EMS comes back to education, does it not?

medic417

The Truth Provider

Sasha

Forum Chief
Why not? They are are actually nice till you piss them off.

Yeah.. I don't think I'd want the risk the pissing them off part.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yeah.. I don't think I'd want the risk the pissing them off part.

Just move slowly especially if they cuddle up next to you in bed. And don't poke them with a stick that really makes them mad.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Poking them with a stick, you can rest assured thats probably the last thing I would do.

Cuddle up next to you in bed? Not so much.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Job security my friends, job security.

medic417

The Truth Provider

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I spent seven years in radio and I have a degree in Broadcast Communications Technology so I know the media's prospective on this. They're out to get a story to get viewers/readers. Viewers and readers are how they make money from advertising reaching more people. So there's that.

Now on to the part about the medics talking: What's the difference in those guys talking to the press and the doctors talking to the press? If you ask me there isn't any. Is it a a HIPAA violation? I'm not an expert on that so I won't give an opinion however I will say that these types of interviews happen all the time and you don't hear about the facility or department being punished because of it. Is it wrong? Probably. I'm not sure I would want to participate in such an interview but why judge the ones who do? I'm sure they're told what they can and talk about and I'd be surprised if there isn't a superior or compliance person in there with them.

Is everyone on this board so self righteous that they would never talk to the press and have never and will never participate in an interview like this? I highly doubt that's the case. Again, I'm not sure I would personally want to participate but I'm not going to hate on someone who does and question their professionalism.

By the way, I'm not sure who asked but... to the person who asked if they were vollys or paid: What does that have to do with anything? I know some people say that vollys aren't "professional" but my experience has been totally different.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I spent seven years in radio and I have a degree in Broadcast Communications Technology so I know the media's prospective on this. They're out to get a story to get viewers/readers. Viewers and readers are how they make money from advertising reaching more people. So there's that.

Now on to the part about the medics talking: What's the difference in those guys talking to the press and the doctors talking to the press? If you ask me there isn't any. Is it a a HIPAA violation? I'm not an expert on that so I won't give an opinion however I will say that these types of interviews happen all the time and you don't hear about the facility or department being punished because of it. Is it wrong? Probably. I'm not sure I would want to participate in such an interview but why judge the ones who do? I'm sure they're told what they can and talk about and I'd be surprised if there isn't a superior or compliance person in there with them.

My question is this: Is everyone on this board so self righteous that they would never talk to the press and have never and will never participate in an interview like this? I highly doubt that's the case. Again, I'm not sure I would personally want to participate but I'm not going to hate on someone who does and question their professionalism.

Kiss and tell mentality.

Do you know how many celebrities or high profile patients some hospital have on any given day? What if hospitals violated their trust and chatted to the media about all of them? Yes some celebrities and politicians do wnat the publicity but many don't. We also admit high profile patients under annonymous names and may move them throughout our system to keep the media and other intruders out of their lives. You wouldn't believe what some in the news industry will do for a story. In some situations, such as those of violence, excessive news coverage can jeopardize the safety of the patient, other patients and staff.

Yes the doctor or some other spokesperson might speak about a patient with permission, however most don't. However, how many RNs, RRTs and phlebotomists have you seen chatting it up about their patients to a reporter?

Even if there weren't strict state laws on the disclosure of medical information, there should be some common decency. If a family member or someone you knew confided in you as both a health care provider and friend that they had cancer or erectile disfunction, would you causally talk about your friend's condition at the coffee shop or chat with a media person using them as an example for whatever reason if given the opportunity?

We just saw this with the Travolta story and have had to go through another Paramedic's 10 minutes of fame with Anna Nicole Smith. At least the Paramedics on the scene of Britney's breakdown didn't plaster their story and mugs on our TV screens or rush to sell their stories to the ENQUIRER. Of course, they still could but I have some faith in their professionalism that they won't. But, did you see any of the hospital staff from these cases chatting it up with reporters?

A huge part of being a professional is knowing when to keep your mouth shut and respecting the patient's privacy and that of their family. Swooping down on them to get a consent signed during their moment of crisis just so you can get your 10 minutes of fame violates a trust you should have been establishing with the patient instead of exploiting.

The story of this woman just happened to register on the Paramedics gore meter and probably were just beside themselves wanting to talk about their patient and the media gave them that opportunity. Concern for the patient or familiy was probably not a thought. There is a term used in the FDs to describe this excited state but since this is a family style forum, I'll refrain from using it.

Here's some good reading:
http://www.dcmsonline.org/jax-medicine/2008journals/ethics/privacy.pdf

Privacy and confidentiality are ancient values in medicine.
The things patients tell doctors – what Hippocrates called
"holy secrets" – are special, delicate and privileged. They
must be safeguarded and not inappropriately disclosed to
others. What is more, privacy and confidentiality are values
internal to the practice of medicine. That is, they were not
originally the laws of legislatures, the policies of administrators
or the rules of philosophers. Privacy and confidentiality
were recognized as essential to the successful practice of
medicine by physicians.

Originally Posted by JonTullos
By the way, I'm not sure who asked but... to the person who asked if they were vollys or paid: What does that have to do with anything? I know some people say that vollys aren't "professional" but my experience has been totally different.

Not everyone is out to pick on the volunteer. There are relevant reasons here. HIPAA may not apply to volunteer or municipal services that do not bill. However, state statutes for privacy may.

Status
Not open for further replies.