Medications EM-B's can use.

az_emt18

Forum Ride Along
Meds. Emt-B's can use In Arizona

Here in Arizona we are allowed to administer ASA, Oxygen, Oral Glucose, Epi-Pens, And we are allowed to assist with Nitro, albuterol inhalers under medical control.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You are right about my frustrations of receiving patients that are not intubated and having aspirated GI contents into their lungs, or the trauma patient that had a simple pneumo that now has a tension pneumo, as well as the "protocol driven EMS" that gives NTG to every chest pain only to KILL that patient with an inferior wall AMI...Why?..

Because they did not have ALS or the education level!.. Now I see incidences like these at least twice a month... maybe you like to explain to the family.. "If only".. after a while, being ignorant is not blessed when there is something out there for the patients well being. EMS care should be about the patient care, not EMS personel ego's. Compare this with what ever analogy, you want to.. but everyday, every minute somewhere in U.S. someone is having an AMI.. now the treatment they receive within the first 30 minutes determines their outcome. If you do not know or recognize this, then read some medical literature..

You don't think the system is broken, then look at the "save rates" we have prehospital. Look at response time of BLS care and then ALS intervention. Again, "time is muscle"... it is all nice to say we are doing a great job, if that was true.. but I doubt anyone can say they have the "best" system.. I am sure, there is room for improvement no matter where or whom you are.

R/r 911

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
zip, zero, zilch, nada.....far as i nkow we need medics

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
As an EMT-B in NY, we can give O2, Oral-Glucose, Albuterol, Activated Charcoal, Asperine and Epi. We can assist with Nitro, I heard that we might have syrup of ipecac too, general pharacology was too long ago to remember.

MeaganIV

Forum Crew Member
Glucagon is not in the scope for EMR's or EMT-B's in your case. For now you gotta stick to that oral glucose. No hormones for you.

:)

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
As an EMT-B in NY, we can give O2, Oral-Glucose, Albuterol, Activated Charcoal, Asperine and Epi. We can assist with Nitro, I heard that we might have syrup of ipecac too, general pharacology was too long ago to remember.

[/QUOTE]
Glucagon is not in the scope for EMR's or EMT-B's in your case. For now you gotta stick to that oral glucose. No hormones for you.

:)

Uhhm, were you talking to me?

MeaganIV

Forum Crew Member

Uhhm, were you talking to me?[/QUOTE]

OH no. I was just replying to the general subject.

Ipicac? thats been discontinued... activated charcoal is whats good.

MeaganIV

Forum Crew Member
Yeah thats wierd.

Ipecac doesn't really do anything for ingested poisons... they readily cling better to the charcoal.

Activated charcoal isn't in the scope of the EMR's here.

Is it in you guy's scope?

MeaganIV

Forum Crew Member
yep, with medical control clearance.

No kidding. Huh. Thats kinda cool. Woulda been nice to have that in my scope when I was an EMR.

YYCmedic

Forum Crew Member
No kidding. Huh. Thats kinda cool. Woulda been nice to have that in my scope when I was an EMR.

Would have been nice to have anything more that what we got as EMR's... Quick, someone call 911... oh wait.. .thats me.... would you like a band-aid for your tachyarrhythmia?... :wacko:

MeaganIV

Forum Crew Member
Would have been nice to have anything more that what we got as EMR's... Quick, someone call 911... oh wait.. .thats me.... would you like a band-aid for your tachyarrhythmia?... :wacko:

hahahaha yeah no kidding eh?

Just walk in with a c-collar and an NRB... hold c-spine.. QUICK HOLD C-SPINE!!

But he's in a diabetic coma...

.... OH GOD!!!

but now we have hormones and carbohydrates to adminster... oh yeah

EMS215

Forum Probie
jersey

Here in jersey as basics, we can deliver NTG MDI Epi Pens O2, all under standing orders. Activated Chrcoal is frowned upon in Jersey. Except for the O2, the pt must have an RX for the med.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
Here in jersey as basics, we can deliver NTG MDI Epi Pens O2, all under standing orders. Activated Chrcoal is frowned upon in Jersey. Except for the O2, the pt must have an RX for the med.

yea he is right i dont know what the heck i was thinking.:p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
well i think with the proper training just about anyone can give drugs. EMT-Bs are by no means stupid and they are highly trainable. Remember that all "Paragods" started out as "nothing better" than EMT-Bs. Medics may save lives but basics save your paramedic :censored: :censored: . It kinda sounds like some of you should remember that. with that being said as a basic i could give 325mg ASA, Nitro that we carry, glucagon, oral glucose, O2 of course, albuterol nebs, and NS IVs all that standing orders. with med control Activated charcol and Epipen. and it's not really a med but we combitube also. In my section of the US basics can do alot of skills and i think it's great. thats just my 2 cents

Okay, her we go... sorry you are grossly incorrect! Not all Paramedics started as EMT basics.. we have about 5, including myself. I went to Paramedic class without ever having my basic.. so, kinda shoots that theory down the drain. There are several thousands out there that never worked as a basic.

Remember skills should not be confused with knowledge.. hence the difference between education and training and the title technician and practitioner. The only time I ever seen an EMT really save a medics arse, was a medic that had an AMI and he was able to shock him and call for additional ALS. EMT's save Paramedic is only a saying to sell whackers "T-shirts, belt buckles, etc.." for self ego. It should always be a team effort, and if you saved your medic arse, then you as well saved your own. Remember, both of you will be setting in the courtroom, your name will be on that report as well.

R/r 911

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
he is definitly right about not having to get your basic b4 going paramedic. you can get a 4 year college degree for paramedics. you can even go to a jr. college for an associates in paramedics. why would you want to compete with the medics and save their butts? the medics are there to save yours. i always treat them with the utmost respect cause they have a higher training level than me and are there to do what i cant. ITS kind of like the SWAT team for cops. who does the police call when they need help ? SWAT !

OP
OP
jeepmedic

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Most states require for you to be an EMT-B before testing for any ALS. Now I understand that some of you "old folks" were not EMT-A/B's before going to EMT-P but the first 3 letters are still EMT. Here in Virginia even RN's that challange the EMT-I test have to pass the EMT-B test first.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
Most states require for you to be an EMT-B before testing for any ALS. Now I understand that some of you "old folks" were not EMT-A/B's before going to EMT-P but the first 3 letters are still EMT. Here in Virginia even RN's that challange the EMT-I test have to pass the EMT-B test first.

yea each state has their own rules and regs.:wacko: